The Karsh Family Social Service Center (the “Karsh Center”) at Wilshire Boulevard Temple is in the heart of Los Angeles’s Koreatown neighborhood. The Karsh Center, established in 2016, is a social service center offering integrated services focusing on Food and Nutrition Security, Health and Wellness, Legal Services, Parent and Child Well-being for individuals and families living in the vicinity of the Karsh Center. Centralizing these services directly with the assistance of volunteers and through a collaboration of providers at the Karsh Center enables us to offer a variety of vital services to our community. The Karsh Center is a 501 (c)(3) non-religious organization.
The Karsh Center is looking for our first Volunteer Engagement Coordinator -- a thoughtful, organized, “people person” who will help continue to grow our volunteer engagement program, provide support to the Karsh Center’s dedicated volunteer corps, and increase the opportunities for passionate and talented volunteers to leverage their skills and time in service of our clients and greater community. This position will report to the Director of Volunteer Engagement and is full-time, including two Sunday mornings per month, and occasional other weekend or evening work.
Duties will include but are not limited to:
- Implement recruitment strategies to identify and solicit new volunteers, including developing job descriptions and communications, and doing community outreach.
- Volunteer Onboarding
- Implement volunteer orientation and onboarding process, including
- collecting applications and waivers
- screening applicants
- supporting and leading volunteer orientation and training programs
- conducting demonstrations of activities
- Provide guidance about volunteer activities and the application process to potential volunteers.
- Provide “volunteer referrals” to other Collaborators organizations to connect individuals with meaningful volunteer experiences based on their interests.
- Volunteer Management
- Work with Program Staff to understand skills needed for each volunteer role and match volunteers to most appropriate activities, and to create a high quality, meaningful experience for volunteers and the community at the Karsh Center.
- Provide assistance to volunteers using Karsh Center’s online scheduling system.
- Welcome and provide support/supervision to volunteers during their shifts on-site.
- When needed, fill in for volunteers who cancel a shift, or for activities that no volunteers have signed up.
- Update and promote monthly schedule of volunteer activities and events.
- Gather waivers and additional documentation from volunteers to uphold policies and ensure safety, understanding and compliance by all volunteers.
- Build and maintain on-going relationships and help cultivate volunteers’ relationship with the Karsh Center through time spent together on-site, conducting individual outreach, and managing group communications.
- Support volunteer recognition program, including but not limited to
- December/end-of-year holiday volunteer appreciation event
- April/National Volunteer Appreciation Week volunteer appreciation event
- Celebrating volunteers at individual lifecycle events
- Designing communications content spotlighting volunteers
- Support design and implementation of surveys for volunteer feedback and data.
- Oversee volunteer management system/platform, Volunteer Impact, including designing volunteer activity listings, updating volunteer shifts and monitoring schedules, developing resource library of learning and training materials, monitoring volunteer applications, running monthly data reports, analyzing volunteer feedback and data trends, and more.
- On-going Learning & Training
- Create materials that best support volunteers’ experience for shifts, such as instructional guides, signage, training videos and more.
- Design and implement on-going learning/training opportunities such as Lunch & Learns and information sessions, and manage list of volunteer resources such as articles, TED talks, podcasts, and more.
- Special Events & Groups
- Recruit, train and supervise volunteers at special events throughout the year.
- Design and implement one-time volunteer service projects for local community groups, and other special event programs.
Qualifications and Prerequisites
- A bachelor’s degree, with 2+ years of experience in the nonprofit sector and/or volunteer sector, or 4+ years of experience in the nonprofit and/or volunteer sector
- Experience working with diverse populations
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office suite, GSuite technology, and Mac OS. Knowledge of systems such as Volunteer Impact, Canva and WordPress are a plus
- Comfort learning new systems (training will be provided)
- Excellent organizational, project management and time management skills
- Strong interpersonal communication skills, and a good listener
- Cultural humility, and an appreciation for working with people from diverse backgrounds
- A lifelong learner
- Proactive problem solver and critical thinker, who can stay flexible and thrive in a fast-paced environment
- Able to handle difficult situations with confidence and compassion
- Valid CA driver’s license
- Must be able to lift 25 pounds
- Flexible to work evenings and weekends