Long Beach, CA [Another location in California is negotiable]
Exempt, Half-Time, Regular Position
Californians Together is a statewide advocacy coalition with the goal of better educating 1.2 million English learners by improving California's schools and promoting equitable educational policy.
In the role of Fund Developer, you are directly responsible for identifying and qualifying various funding sources, including writing of grant proposals in implementation of the strategic plan, philanthropic partnerships, individual and major gifts. You will plan, coordinate and implement development plans to meet fund development and budgetary goals. Current overall annual fundraising goal is approximately $1.5 million, including grants, contracts and individual and corporate donors. Activities will also include research, drafting, proofreading, submitting, and tracking proposals; managing the grants calendar; and support of reporting requirements.
Reports to the Executive Director. The position is a half-time, exempt position with potential full-time employment in the future.
Specific responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Participate with the Executive Director, Board of Directors and staff to lead the organization’s development strategies and continue to chart the organization’s course in fund development
- Oversee the launch and execution, with the Executive Director & Board of Directors, of currently funded grants
- Identify new potential government and private funding opportunities through publications, website subscriptions, the internet, and other resources that relate to Californians Together programs.
- Attend necessary bidders’ conferences and grant workshops as needed; Interact with and respond to questions from foundation representatives, and participate in relevant discussions and meetings
- Design long-term strategies for consistent foundation support. Develop and maintain funding calendar
- Correspond with funders about grant opportunities; apply for new funding.
- Proposal writing and editing – Develop and write compelling proposals in response to foundation, and government RFPs; Review and edit proposals written by staff
- Ensure that philanthropy and fund development are carried out in keeping with the organization’s values, mission, vision and plans
- Oversee performance measures, monitor results and help the Executive Director and Board of Directors evaluate the effectiveness of the organization’s fund development program.
- Maintain and organize electronic foundation filing system and integrate with development database
- Ability to manage donor relationships through periods of engagement and growth, ensuring that donor and volunteer interests are in alignment with organization priorities
- Create, manage and direct the funding/revenue base while focusing on a comprehensive fund development plan to enhance the short- and long-term diversified funding base
- Develop and implement a direct donor campaign to enhance the core operating budget and build sustainability.
- Develop a balanced funding mix of donor sources and solicitation programs tailored to the needs of the organization that will enable it to attract, retain and motivate donors and fundraising volunteers
- Provide oversight of all of the organization’s fund development activities and monitor adequacy of such activities through coordination with the Executive Director, the Board and the finance committee
- Prepare and maintain monthly funding chart listing active grants, pending grants, and potential grants; Prepare monthly reports including activities, research, contacts made, inquiry letters submitted, proposals funded, and a running account of monies raised
- Produce fundraising reports for senior management and Board of Directors
- Partner with the Business Director to assure sound fiscal operation of the development function including timely, accurate and comprehensive development of charitable contributions income and expense budgets, reporting, monitoring and implementation
- Assure design and maintenance of donor and prospect records, gift management systems, and informational reports. Keep donor base engaged and informed
- Assure design and implementation of acknowledgment, stewardship and recognition programs with feedback and necessary check off systems
- Execute all other reasonable duties as assigned by the Executive Director
- B.A. preferred; or 5 - 7 years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Passion, imagination, vision, leadership, and integrity
- A demonstrated ability to plan and operate strategically, to build public support, to develop and strengthen fund diversity to include grants, contracts and donations
- Strong organizational skills and accountability toward goals
- A minimum of five years of grant writing and fundraising experience
- Significant experience in and a successful track record of major gift and annual fund fundraising
- Commitment to the mission and work of Californians Together with the credibility and persuasiveness to secure support from others
- A self-starter who is confident enough to express opinions, to forge ahead when appropriate and hold back when necessary, with a sensitivity to the feelings and opinions of others
- Highly self-motivated with the ability to work independently
- Ability to work with diverse people, build and maintain strong working relationships with both internal and external partners
- Exceptional organizational skills and the ability to develop and follow a prioritized plan of work, set and keep deadlines and work on multiple projects concurrently
- Exceptional communication skills with the ability to listen well
- An energetic person who is emotionally mature and dependable; a collegial individual with a sense of humor.Ability to exercise sound, independent judgment
- Ability to contribute to a high functioning team environment
- Patient, personable and approachable
- Must be a team player who is inclusive, flexible, creative, energetic and fair-minded
- Passion for improving the educational experiences and outcomes for dual language/English learners
Salary is commensurate with experience and qualifications. Includes full health, dental and vision benefits, holidays, vacation and sick days. Office closes between Christmas Eve and New Year’s.