Destination Crenshaw’s mission is to improve the quality of life and revitalize the economy in South Los Angeles through arts and culture. As one of the largest Black communities west of the Mississippi River, Destination Crenshaw is an unprecedented community-led project that will celebrate the 200+ year history of Black activism in L.A. Through education, arts, and culture, Destination Crenshaw will cement itself as a cultural hub that will facilitate economic security and entrepreneurship for residents as a method of place-keeping and community building.
The Development Manager position oversees all major gift and private grant management functions and supervises all daily grant activities, including processing grant submissions, researching potential donor funders, planning assessment meetings, creating/managing a grants database, and optimizing the grant administration process. Reporting to the President & COO, the Development Manager will also support the strategic development of the organization’s overall development approach, including all private major gifts, donor-oriented events, and corporate partnerships. A well-rounded approach to development that balances leadership, strategy, execution, and systematic follow-up is key to being successful in this position.
Development Manager Responsibilities
- Support the President & COO and DC leadership team by monitoring the status of the Destination Crenshaw capital campaign to determine the best timing and approach to major gift and private donor solicitation, cultivation, and stewardship
- Assist the President & COO and team leadership with major gift and individual giving donor approach and follow-up needs
- Understand the overall mission, programs, and projects of Destination Crenshaw and determine which grant opportunities to pursue and how to craft the message appropriately for various funders, in close collaboration with fellow grant-writer staff;
- Support grant writing colleague with grant proposals to foundations, corporations, and other grant-making organizations interested in Destination Crenshaw capital campaign or DC’s programmatic efforts
- Assemble and submit grant requests, including letters, proposals, budgets, and presentations;
- Establish and maintain personal contact and relationships with foundation and corporate contacts and program officers;
- Ensure prompt acknowledgment of foundation and private gifts;
- Maintain calendar to ensure timely submission of letters of inquiry, proposal deadlines, and reports;
- Conduct prospect research to determine a match with the Destination Crenshaw process
- Prioritize prospect and donor relationships and dialogue projects to keep multiple efforts projects moving in a timely manner, meet deadlines and manage supplemental material required for discussions and proposals;
- Maintain current records in the database, including donor tracking and grant reporting
- Work with DC staff to manage the processing and tracking of Grants and Grant payments;
- Communicate altered fundraising timeframes, milestones, and payment schedules to appropriate DC staff (Operations, Accounting, Communications, etc.);
- Support the events staff in fundraising event planning, coordination, logistics, and execution (if applicable);
- Manage time effectively and independently, holding oneself accountable in a results-driven work environment;
- Perform special projects as required
Qualifications & Skills:
- Bachelor's degree and a minimum of five years' work experience in a fundraising role, or the equivalent combination of education and experience
- Personal initiative and self-motivation skills with a good dose of humility, sense of humor and willingness to go the extra mile
- Ability to thrive in a dynamic environment where each day brings new ideas and opportunities
- Strong interpersonal skills; ability to work with, and earn the respect and confidence of internal and external partners
- Ability to communicate new ideas and strategic thinking in a written format that appeals to donors
- Demonstrated track record in raising funds through grant writing, donor cultivation, sales, political fundraising or entrepreneurship
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills; confidence in communicating across a wide variety of platforms, including electronic, written, and in-person to articulate clear, structured and persuasive proposals and related correspondence
- Experience developing a strategic fundraising plan and executing against the plan
- Comfortable with analytical thinking and financial analysis to and setting practical, achievable targets and budgets
- Strong editing skills with attention to detail and fact-checking
- Ability to meet deadlines
- Experience using online databases and other sources to locate biographical, financial, and philanthropic information a plus.
Destination Crenshaw is an equal opportunity employer and considers applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, marital or veteran status, sexual orientation, or any other legally protected status. Compensation is competitive and commensurate with experience.