Wiseman Studio is a busy multi-faceted artist studio located in Frogtown. Working across bronze, ceramic, and other various mediums, the studio creates intricate site-specific installations, furniture, lighting fixtures, and objects. The studio is looking to expand its small team of dedicated artisans and artists to find someone who can manage our 3 or 4 person ceramics department. Past experience in ceramics is critical.
- Work with David on developing new porcelain forms and ceramic designs. This can involve hand sculpting in clay or plasteline, creating prototypes from carved plaster, or altering 3D objects.
- Help expand the ceramics department’s capabilities to make larger works and utilize new ways of creating ceramic pieces
- Offer creative input and problem solving to create new ceramic forms and surface treatments
- Keep track of ceramic needs for multiple projects simultaneously and make sure work is complete on time for project deadlines, maintain list of tasks that each person in the department works on
- Make plaster molds for production slip casting
- Load and fire kilns (electric), execute basic kiln maintenance tasks
- Cut and alter slip cast forms after de-molding, working with precision and tight detail
- Assist with creating other non-ceramic work, which can include glass enamel, rubber mold making, working with waxes for lost-wax bronze casting, and other fabrication methods.
- 5+ years of experience working in clay. Past experience working for another artist preferred.
- Comfortable explaining fabrication processes to others, identifying and implementing studio best practices
- Plaster mold making experience is a must
- Experience slip casting and hand building
- Experience working in a production setting (ceramics or otherwise) a huge plus
- Any experience working with 3D printers, CNC routers, and 3D software a plus but not critical
- Electric kiln maintenance experience a plus
- Strong attention to detail with a keen eye for quality
- Able to focus and work swiftly while maintaining a high level of craftsmanship
- Ability to manage multiple and shifting priorities, capable of reprioritizing on a moment’s notice
- Able to think ahead and anticipate needs of the studio
- Be a team player
- Must love dogs
- Positive, good sense of humor
Full time position with benefits. Salary is commensurate with experience.
Studio hours: Monday through Friday, 10 am – 6 pm