The Public Health Alliance of Southern California (Public Health Alliance) is seeking a Communications & Public Relations Strategist with a deep commitment and direct experience working to advance health equity, racial justice, and transformative policy and systems change. This role encompasses:
- Overseeing the Public Health Alliance’s day-to-day communications operations (website content maintenance, crafting emails, writing and producing newsletters, managing contact lists, editing content, etc.)
- Using your creative skills to promote and elevate the Public Health Alliance’s work to multiple audiences across California and the United States.
The Public Health Alliance is experiencing a period of growth, with several high-profile communications needs, including a website overhaul, launch of a major Healthy Places Index platform update, and publication of a comprehensive COVID-19 report. Our work focuses on a range of issues, including COVID-19, health equity, Black maternal health, public health infrastructure funding, climate change, data into action, and healthy communities initiatives. We are a small but dedicated, cohesive and high performing staff, and we are looking for someone with deep project management skills and the ability to pivot quickly between various projects. The ideal candidate will be someone who can both develop and maintain our communications systems and infrastructure while also developing marketing strategies, establishing media relations and creating promotional materials so we can better elevate our work to important audiences across a range of political and professional environments. Furthermore, health equity and racial justice are at the core of our work. The ideal candidate will have direct experience elevating public health issues with an equity and racial justice lens, and a passion for advancing policy and systems change that ensure that everyone has the opportunity to live a healthy life.
About the Public Health Alliance
The Public Health Alliance is a coalition of the executive leadership of ten local health departments in Southern California focused on improving population health and advancing health equity and racial justice through policy and systems change. Our members have a statutory responsibility for the health of 60% of the state’s population. Our vision is “Vibrant and activated communities achieving health, justice, and opportunities for all.” The Public Health Alliance works to mobilize the transformative power of local public health for enduring health equity. We believe that Southern California should be a place where everyone has the opportunities and resources necessary to live and healthy and productive life. The Public Health Alliance is fiscally administered by the Public Health Institute.
More information about the Public Health Alliance’s meaningful work can be accessed at:
The Public Health Alliance recognizes the value of having a staff that brings a wide range of perspectives to this work based on language, ethnicity, race, gender, socio-economic background, political beliefs, sexual-orientation and disability. We are committed to maintaining a diverse, multicultural working environment and particularly encourage applications from candidates with lived experience in the communities we seek to serve.
Manage Communications Operations:
- Support development and maintenance of key communications tools to ensure the Alliance has the infrastructure necessary to publicize its work and elevate successes.
- Manage the Alliance’s website, contact lists, blog, social media and other digital tools and communications platforms.
- Provide writing and copy-editing support to the Alliance team to communicate to various audiences and strengthen messaging on key initiatives.
- Assist with fund development, including grant/contract writing and reporting
- Represent the Alliance in collaborative communications projects and campaigns with our members and key partners.
Market and Promote the Public Health Alliance to Multiple Audiences:
- Create compelling content in different modalities (written, graphics and video) that advance health equity and racial justice across the Alliance’s key initiatives. Specific content includes fact sheets, reports, blog posts, press releases, media pitches, op-eds, letters to the editor, social media content, videos, etc.
- Leverage the Alliance’s deep expertise in public health science, data and policy to generate easy-to-grasp and accessible materials
- Lift community voices and stories
- Devise and implement strategies to grow our visibility by sharing Alliance successes via print, video, digital, social media and other communication platforms to catalyze and accelerate institutional and systems change.
- Lead and develop the Alliance’s media strategy, outreach, and public relations efforts.
- Build connections with multi-sector partners, policy makers, key decision makers, and philanthropy
- Oversee marketing and public relations efforts
- Amplify our regional public health voice in state and federal policy
- Develop, manage, and implement the Alliance’s organizational communications strategy.
- At least 5 years of relevant professional experience in communications, marketing, public relations, journalism, film, screenwriting, social justice advocacy, and/or a related field.
- Southern California candidates preferred. We will not consider candidates who are located outside of California.
- Direct experience working on public health, health equity and racial justice issues
- Strong writing, editing and verbal skills, with the capacity to translate complex ideas and contextual environments into simple and clear messages, calls-to-action, directives, etc.
- Strong skills in core communications operations, including website content maintenance, newsletter development, and contact list management
- Demonstrated experience managing competing priorities while maintaining high standards of quality and responsiveness, with the ability to quickly pivot between projects
- Ability to clearly and empathetically develop and implement communications messaging for a wide range of audiences (e.g., directly-impacted communities, policymakers, public health practitioners)
- Experience working in or with the following groups a plus:
- Government agencies
- The public health sector
- Policy and systems change campaigns within social and racial justice movements
- Marketing and public relations skills a must
- Strategic thinker with ability to craft sharp, powerful content that pops
- Excellent storytelling skills (journalism, podcasting, blogging, publishing, writing background)
- Strong design aesthetic and basic knowledge of graphic design elements
- Proficiency in MS Office Suite (Word, PowerPoint, and Excel), Adobe InDesign, Venngage and other communications and graphic design software platforms.
- A bachelor’s degree in communications, marketing, public relations, journalism, film, screenwriting, public health or a related field, or an equivalent combination of education and relevant professional experience.
- Master’s degree preferred.
- This is a full-time position, approximately 40 hours per week.
- This is a remote position, with occasional travel throughout the Southern California region and the State of California post-pandemic. The individual chosen for this position will be expected to work from their home office in California, with preference for candidates in Southern California.
- This position is eligible for PHI’s full suite of benefits including but not limited to medical, dental, and vision coverage, health care and dependent care flexible spending accounts, and generous time off.
- The application deadline is June 28, 2021 but applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis beginning immediately.
This position reports to the Alliance’s Director of Operations, and works collaboratively with Alliance members and staff, vendors, and other partners to develop communications materials and strategies.