The Senior Director of People and Culture will join Woodcraft Rangers’ leadership team during an exciting and rapid phase of growth. This role is primarily responsible for developing and managing a growing human resource team whose goal is to recruit and serve the needs of 40+ full-time members of the central office and a frontline staff of 500+ part-time employees. The Senior Director of People and Culture will, in close collaboration with the senior leadership team, ensure that the agency operates with the highest levels of integrity and nurtures a progressive workplace culture aligned to Woodcraft Rangers core values including being authentic, committed and inclusive.
Our ideal candidate will have experience working for an agile and growing socially-minded business, is highly organized, offers innovative solutions, and communicates progress of their work. You are a kind, and professional individual; believes in equal treatment for all, and appreciates the clarity a well-documented and systemized process can provide.
Some might describe you as:
- A self-motivated team player and leader who is eager to flex their knowledge and expertise while simultaneously learning from others
- Someone who loves systems and processes, is data-driven with the ability to use tech platforms to improve efficiency and create documentation
- Values the power of diversity, equity and belonging and knows how a strong team culture can unlock ever opportunity
- An adaptable individual who is comfortable with minimal oversight in fast-paced environments
- A strong communicator with an appreciation for feedback; an empathetic coach who cares about the development of each team member
- A mission-driven individual with an interest in helping those who are historically or institutionally disadvantaged
- An empathetic, encouraging, highly organized individual with high expectations for themselves and others
- Supporting and valuing educational systems, childhood development
- Lead, manage and model efforts that reinforce the mission and core values of Woodcraft Rangers
- Provides strategic recommendations to ensure efficient and effective systems to recruit the right individuals for the WR team and to care for team members during their employee journeys.
- Contribute to the vision, mission and strategy of Woodcraft with an expressed focus on how initiatives will shape culture and people
- Diligently seeks opportunities for professional development to ensure the agency is proactively supporting WR team members
- Own all HR responsibilities for Woodcraft Rangers
Operations and Systems:
- Update and stand up new and existing HRIS systems for more efficient workflows from application to off-boarding
- Lead the selection and implementation of new HR systems (i.e. HRIS, leave management, learning management, full HR tech stack, etc.)
- Manage budgeting, systems, vendors and overall finance for department
- Train and present HRIS systems for the immediate team and throughout the company as needed
- Establish metrics for the team and company, to include recruitment goals, retention and employee happiness
New Hires & Onboarding
- Devise scenarios and timelines for periods of scaling and intense recruitment to ensure sufficient candidate pipeline, appropriate bandwidth, a quality, vetting process and onboarding and that is effective and welcoming
- Oversee New Hire Onboarding process for site-based staff in collaboration with members of the Learning Department, program leadership and operations team.
- Oversee ongoing onboarding process for new central office team members
Training and Orientation
- Lead the creation of and support the People Manager, in collaboration with the Learning team, to deliver a comprehensive and engaging training program and effective reference materials for new and existing managers
- Oversee proper orientation, successful onboarding and welcome for all new team members, including interns and volunteers
- Balance knowledge of HR compliance with WR culture as well as the needs of the organization with team member advocacy
- Oversee the overall process for investigations and ongoing employee relations issues, anticipate problems whenever possible, and work with the People Manager to develop, recommend, and initiate appropriate steps for resolution. Consult with COO, CEO and counsel when necessary.
- Support People Manager when necessary to advise on team member issues, improvement plans when needed and to complete separations of employment.
- Partner with Director of Learning on the implementation of the Lifecraft, a staff-focused career and college accelerator program
Benefits, Leaves of Absence, Unemployment Insurance & Workers' Compensation Administration
- Oversee benefits package: Recommend benefits package, negotiate contracts with carriers and vendors, oversee all wellness initiatives, and manage collaborative, productive relationship(s) with benefits brokers
- Provide guidance, thought partnership and oversight to the People and Culture Team, in providing outstanding, timely day-to-day support for team members with inquiries regarding benefits, pay and employment questions
- Ensure the proper administration of all leaves of absence including: FMLA, maternity, disability, and unpaid leave
- Oversee management of unemployment insurance and workers compensation policies and claims
- Ensure that Woodcraft Rangers is in compliance as it relates to federal, state and local labor laws.
- Annually update Woodcraft Rangers handbook, including working with internal and outside counsel as needed and making recommendations to senior leadership for policy changes
- Ensure 100% compliance with new hire and ongoing HR safety training, certification, and health clearances required for school district partners and highest standards in child protection
- Maintain and expand knowledge and understanding of existing and proposed federal, state and Department of Education laws/regulations affecting human resources management. Interpret laws and policies and advise leadership teams and team members accordingly
- Work with the Finance Supervisor to provide information for the annual 401k audit and ensure all ACA and ERISA reporting requirements are met
Special Reports, Projects and Systems
- As needed, manage or assist with the development, preparation, and analysis of ongoing and ad-hoc scorecards and reports pertaining to employee personnel information and data collection
- As needed, analyze current systems, processes and workflows and recommend and implement changes.
Where this role fits in the team and who you will work with:
This role reports to the Chief Operating Officer and manages three direct reports and contractors to satisfy seasonal rhythms and moments of intense scaling. The Senior Director of People and Culture for Woodcraft Rangers should be an intentional, creative and courageous leader who cares deeply for the mission and those committed to its delivery and will work to continually evolve the agency’s service to those individuals. Direct reports include a team of 5-6 people; a blend of existing and new team members to be hired. They include managers and coordinators. This role also fills a critical cross-departmental need, and will include prioritizing and goals across the organization.
Here’s who we are looking for:
- Minimum of 5+ years of related work experience, preferably in a growing and dynamic multi-site organization with at least 300+ team members
- A bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution preferred but equivalent experience can be substituted. Master’s Degree or equivalent in a related field or equivalent professional certification (PHR, SPHR, SHRM-CP or SHRM-SCP) highly preferred
- Demonstrated ability to lead multiple high-profile and complex projects simultaneously and lead cross-functionally
- Proficient with ADP and Microsoft Office or 365 Suite
- Proficient and experienced in HRIS systems and ability to build and sustain HR tech stacks
- Collaborative leader and creative problem-solver who is willing to contribute at any level necessary toward agency’s goals
- Demonstrated ability to leverage HRIS and analyze data to support a diverse, equitable, and inclusive working environment
- Track record of identifiable and measurable successes in managing a complex organization and implementing operational change
- Experience managing teams, coaching and acting as a strategic advisor on all people operations matters; developing HR initiatives (e.g. professional development plans; training curriculums, etc.), leading and facilitating team development and growth
- Outstanding organizational skills and high attention to detail; a self-starting that operates effectively in and efficiently in an agile and learning environment, yet understands the importance of relationships and being a team player.
Status: Full-time; Exempt
Salary Range and Benefits: $90,000 - $100,000 annually; + benefits
Start date: Immediate
Location: Downtown LA / Remote - Hybrid
Mission: Guiding young people as they explore pathways to purposeful lives.
In keeping with our beliefs and goals, no employee or applicant will face discrimination or harassment based on: race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, age, gender, marital domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability status, or veteran status.