City Year helps students and schools succeed. Fueled by national service, City Year partners with public schools in 29 communities across the U.S. and through international affiliates in the U.K. and South Africa. Diverse teams of City Year AmeriCorps members provide research-based student, classroom and school-wide support to help students stay in school and on track to graduate from high school, ready for college and career success. A 2015 study shows that schools that partner with City Year were 2-3 times more likely to improve on math and English assessments. A proud member of the AmeriCorps national service network, City Year is supported by the Corporation for National and Community Service, local school districts, and private philanthropy from corporations, foundations and individuals. Learn more at www.cityyear.org, City Year’s Facebook page, on Twitter, and LinkedIn.
City Year is among the nation’s fastest-growing nonprofit social enterprises. The organization’s 1,070 staff and 2,500 AmeriCorps members work and serve in 29 communities across the country. City Year Los Angeles (CYLA) was founded in 2007 with an inaugural corps of 75 and has reached 225 by its 14th year.
City Year Los Angeles is seeking a dynamic Individual Giving Manager who will be responsible for leading efforts to steward current individual donors and identify and secure new donors at the $10K level and below. Reporting to the Individual Giving & Foundation Relations Director, the Individual Giving Manager will be a key member of the Development Team and will contribute to the site’s fundraising and relationship management strategies in a number of ways. The Individual Giving & Foundations Director and Manager are collectively responsible for securing an annual revenue goal of approximately $3.8M from both existing and new individual donors.
The Individual Giving Manager maintains a sophisticated and nuanced understanding of current and prospective donors' and members' interests, enthusiasms, connections, and relationships with City Year Los Angeles, in order to advance successful engagement, cultivation, and stewardship strategies. The ideal candidate must take a creative approach to opportunities and have a hunger to build relationships. Exceptional organizational, written, and verbal communication skills are necessary for this position, as is the ability to multitask, meet deadlines and achieve results in a team environment.
City Year values and continuously works to build an equitable and inclusive culture where diverse people feel they belong.
Support the advancement of City Year’s mission by identifying potential supporters, working collaboratively across our organization to develop tailored donor engagement that matches their interests and resources, raising $500,000 from new and existing donors, $100,000 of which should come from new donors.
Individual Donor Strategy (below $10K):
- Identify key networking/cultivation/social events to attend and in turn, develop a pipeline of prospects
- Maintain an active pipeline of approximately 80 prospects
- Strategize with Individual Giving & Foundations Director to prepare unique engagement strategies tailored to prospect’s interests and resources
- Research prospects by scanning annual reports, gala sponsorships, etc.
New Individual Donor Cultivation:
- Interact authentically with prospects at events to establish and deepen potential and current donor relationships
- Cultivate and engage new individual prospects weekly
- Engage donors in supporting AmeriCorps member professional development by planning and executing networking events
- Manage and execute end of year giving campaigns, Charitybuzz auctions, and other fundraising initiatives
Existing Donor Management:
- Utilize events such as the Associates Board fall event and Spring Break fundraiser to solicit and engage new and existing donors
- Recommend new engagement opportunities and implement best practices for current and future donors
- Identify current donors with increased giving potential and collaborate with Individual Giving & Foundations Director on strategy to increase gifts
- Successfully steward CYLA donor relationships, managing appropriate frequency of outreach, communication, appreciation and involvement
- Co-manage CYLA Associates Board with Individual Giving & Foundations Director, supporting with intentional engagement and execution of all touchpoints
- Create opportunities that enable current champions to engage their networks and expand our community
Donor Recognition and Ongoing Engagement:
- Maintain accurate records and donor information in Salesforce donor database within 24-48 hours, tracking cultivation and stewardship activities and progress to goals
- Ensure existing and new donors are added to mailing lists and campaigns
- Regularly monitor progress and follow up to ensure timely collection of gifts
Support Major Gift Donor Engagement:
- Offer administrative assistance for activities that are related to the management of individuals donors and prospects, including school meet and greets and all Red Jacket Society (our major gifts program) events
- Gather information to prepare proposals and progress reports for individual family foundations
- Tracking for major donors and events; follow up for recognition and gifts for donor-facing engagements
Additional Site and Team Support
- Manage or support CYLA’s Alumni Board with intentional engagement and partner with Alumni board members to expand our current network of Alumni supporters.
- Support with AmeriCorps member development and trainings for donor-facing engagements such as school meet and greets and events
- Partner with CYLA departments and staff, stakeholder engagement, event and service day participation and cross-departmental committees as needed to ensure site-wide goals are met
- Attend and support at multiple service day events throughout the year in partnership with the Civic Engagement team
- 2+ years relevant experience in non-profit fundraising, marketing/sales, relationship management or related fields
- Able to work effectively under pressure, handle competing priorities and respond to short deadlines with a team and independently
- Strong attention to detail with a focus on results and process
- Flexibility to meet sudden and unpredictable donor needs and willingness to work outside standard established business hours
- Strong track record in building and maintaining productive relationships with key stakeholders
- Strategic thinker with the ability to manage short- and long-term plans and goals, with a record of achieving results
- Solid, persuasive communication skills, i.e. verbal and written
- Strong research skills – ability to identify and research individual donor prospectsPassion for and commitment to community service, national service and/or the development of young people as leaders
- Knowledge of Los Angeles donor community preferred
- Valid driver’s license and vehicle
- Familiarity with Salesforce a plus
Additional Qualities Needed:
In order to succeed in this role, an applicant must have the following competencies:
- Strategic Thinking & Natural Curiosity: Be able to think conceptually and analytically. Able to identify the information needed to develop strategies and know when to elevate or seek guidance. Willing and eager to learn as well as able to identify key pieces of information.
- Develop Relationships: Use interpersonal interactions to achieve mutually beneficial outcomes and advances City Year’s mission. Demonstrate cultural/diversity competence. Build trust in critical partner relationships, both internal and external to City Year. Demonstrate personal presence and confidence when working with partners.
- Communication: Write articulate and persuasive proposals and other documents. Have strong written and verbal communication and be able to inspire diverse audiences through communication. Listens carefully and is responsive to feedback.
- Manage to Results: Set realistic and achievable goals and break them down into interim goals. Be able to adjust when faced with obstacles and lead others to achieve success. Takes initiative, can troubleshoot and work well with others.
- Team Player: Where necessary, be flexible to support other areas of the department such as the Corporate team and event coordination.
Compensation and benefits
Full time employees are entitled to compensation commensurate with experience. Benefits for full time employees include health insurance with Flexible Spending Account, paid vacation, holidays, parental leave, 401K, and more.
City Year is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to a diverse workforce. Individuals from all backgrounds are encouraged to apply, including persons with disabilities and veterans.