Promesa Boyle Heights is a collaborative of passionate residents, youth, schools, and organizational partners working together to realize a shared mission: to improve conditions in Boyle Heights at the individual, school, and systems-level by building a movement of partner organizations, students, and families collaborating to close the opportunity gap and strengthen supports for students from cradle through college and career.
We envision a Boyle Heights where:
1. Every individual has access to a range of supports in the home, in our schools, and in the community to foster school and life success;
2. Organizations are collaborating to close the opportunity gap amongst the most marginalized and underserved populations in our community, and;
3. A powerful, resident-led collaborative is winning system-level policy changes that create a safer, healthier, and more stable Boyle Heights. for more information visit www.promesaboylegheights.org
Proyecto Pastoral is the backbone for the Promesa Boyle Heights collaborative. Proyecto Pastoral was founded in 1986 by community residents and Father Greg Boyle, with a mission to develop the Boyle Heights community through education, leadership development, and service. Proyecto Pastoral serves over 6,000 children, youth, families, and individuals annually. For more information, visit www.proyectopastoral.org
The Managing Director is a mission-driven passionate leader committed to social, racial, and educational justice. They will continue to nurture and grow a collaborative movement to strengthen support for students and their families from cradle through college and career. The Managing Director will lead the strategic growth of the collaborative and serve as a public ambassador for the collaborative. They will manage multiple teams that include 15+ staff, 24+ partner organizations, 5 schools, and 40+ resident leaders. The Managing Director will also drive Promesa Boyle Heights’ internal and external functions, including strategy, communications, community engagement, and evaluation.
The position reports to the Promesa BH Steering Committee & General Assembly, and to Proyecto Pastoral’s Executive Director.
KEY ROLES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Leadership and Strategy
- Provide visionary, adaptive leadership modeling Promesa BH guiding values
- Coach and supervise team members with support from the Community School Director, Directors for Community Transformation, and Director of Impact and Continuous Improvement
- Facilitate open communication with the Promesa BH stakeholders, which include Steering Committee, General Assembly, Comité de Líderes, PBH staff members, and Proyecto Pastoral leadership
- Identify capacity gaps and develop operational plans to implement possible organizational growth and/or restructuring
- Oversee the implementation of strategies outlined in the strategic plan and support the development of new strategies that will drive transformative change in the region
- In concert with relevant workgroups; develop annual goals connected to the strategic plan along with policy and funding recommendations with the guidance of the Promesa BH Steering Committee
Support the Success of the Collaborative Governance Structure
- Coordinate with other projects and coalitions in the same field to maintain an understanding of the current landscape of local and regional activities and integrating their work into Steering Committee and Solution Team processes
- Cultivate excellent working relationships with education and community leaders involved with Promesa BH in a way that inspires collective action without formal authority
- Build and maintain strong relationships with adult and young community residents along with collaborative partners and stakeholders
- Provide direction and support to partner organizations in aligning their work to the Common Agenda
- Act as a neutral convener and help resolve conflicts or disagreements amongst staff and stakeholders
- Work with staff to lead planning for Steering Committee and General Assembly meetings
Shared Strategy and Measurement
- Oversee the development and implementation of a shared measurement system that will track common outcomes and indicators across the collaborative to inform learning and continuous improvement
- Identify improvements in use of data-driven decision-making and ensure that data is collected, integrated, and communicated effectively across the organization
- Identify potential funding sources to support Promesa Boyle Heights goals and work with Proyecto’s development team to develop and implement the fundraising strategy
- Provide support and guidance to partner organizations in aligning resources to the Promesa BH plan, including supporting the identification of grant opportunities that align to Promesa BH goals
- Develop relationships with potential funders and participate in relevant networks
QUALIFICATIONS & KEY COMPETENCIES
- 10+ years of relevant work experience, including at least 3 years of managing teams in a fast-paced and high-growth nonprofit or social enterprise environment
- Bachelor’s degree in business, education, policy, or related field. (Master’s degree preferred)
- Intersectional systems thinker who sees social problems as interrelated systems
- Deep commitment to Equity and Racial Justice
- Collaborative, seasoned leader who can facilitate collective action and work across many stakeholder groups and is able to thrive in a fluid, entrepreneurial environment
- Advanced strategy and planning skills, including an ability to think strategically on both organizational and systemic levels over multi-year horizons
- Outstanding communication and interpersonal skills, with the ability to build authentic relationships with a diverse set of stakeholders, including Spanish-speaking resident adult and youth leaders
- A track record of leading, inspiring, and developing high performing teams
- Strong data acumen and ability to oversee complex shared-measurement systems
- Familiarity with Boyle Heights or experience with community transformation in a parallel or similar community
- Experience leading or participating in community-led governance structures as evidenced by facilitating the following: community forums, collective impact coalitions or collaboratives.
- Spanish language proficiency
Compensation & Benefits
Starting salary range, based on experience, is between $95,000-115,000. Benefits include paid time-off, medical benefits, 401K, and generous paid time off policy.
Proyecto Pastoral is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion or creed, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital status, age, veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status recognized by federal, state or local law with respect to employment opportunities. Women, LGBTQIA and people of color are encouraged to apply.