Posting Date - April 7, 2021
Application Deadline - May 3, 2021 (Application review starts immediately and interviews will be conducted on a rolling basis until the position is filled)
Target Start Date - May 2021
Hours - Full-Time
Salary - $70,000 to $85,000
Benefits - Paid vacation, holiday, and sick days
Location - Remote position from your home office (Southern California preferred)
The Public Health Alliance of Southern California (Alliance) is seeking a Communications Manager to help drive transformative policy and systems change in support of racial, social and health equity. This position offers exciting opportunities to:
- Lead the development and implementation of the Alliance’s communication strategy
- Oversee marketing and public relations efforts
- Leverage the Alliance’s deep expertise in public health science, data and policy to generate easy-to-grasp and accessible materials
- Grow our visibility by sharing Alliance successes via print, video, digital, social media and other communication platforms to catalyze and accelerate institutional and systems change.
- Lift community voices and build connections with multi-sector partners, policy makers, key decision makers, and philanthropy
- Amplify our regional public health voice in state and federal policy
- Assist with fund development
The successful candidate will be a creative and strategic thinker, with a keen eye for design, and a passion for equity and justice. The qualified applicant will have a successful track record of leading communications, marketing and public relations strategies across a range of political and professional environments. Our ideal candidate is a team player who can work well with a small but dedicated, cohesive and high performing staff. They should have deep project management skills with the ability to pivot quickly between projects.
About the Alliance
The Alliance is a coalition of the executive leadership of ten local health departments in Southern California focused on improving population health and advancing policy and systems change. Our members have a statutory responsibility for the health of 60% of the state’s population. Our vision is, “Vibrant and activated communities achieving health, justice, and opportunities for all.” The Alliance works to mobilize the transformative power of local public health for enduring health equity. We believe that Southern California should be a place where everyone has the opportunities and resources necessary to live and healthy and productive life. To learn more about the Alliance’s meaningful work visit our website, the California Healthy Places Index, Cherished Futures, and COVID-19 Health Equity Resources portal. The Alliance is fiscally administered by the Public Health Institute.
The Alliance recognizes the value of having a staff that brings a wide range of perspectives to this work based on language, ethnicity, race, gender, socio-economic background, political beliefs, sexual-orientation and disability. We are committed to maintaining a diverse, multicultural working environment and particularly encourage applications from candidates with lived experience in the communities we seek to serve.
- Develop, manage, and implement the Alliance’s organizational communications strategy.
- Lead the Alliance’s media outreach and public relations efforts.
- Create compelling content (written, graphics and video) that advances equity across the Alliance’s key initiatives. Specific content includes fact sheets, reports, blog posts, press releases, media pitches, op-eds, letters to the editor, social media content, videos, etc.
- Support and elevate community stories and voices.
- Support development and maintenance of key communications tools to ensure the Alliance has the infrastructure necessary to publicize its work and elevate successes.
- Manage the Alliance’s email lists, blog, social media and other digital tools and communications platforms.
- Provide copy-editing, grant writing and reporting support to the Alliance team to strengthen messaging on key initiatives.
- Support Alliance fund development activities.
- Represent the Alliance in collaborative communications projects and campaigns with our members and key partners.
- At least 5 years of relevant professional experience in communications, marketing, public relations, journalism, film, screenwriting, social justice advocacy, and/or a related field.
- Experience working in or with the following groups a plus:
- Government agencies
- The public health sector
- Policy and systems change campaigns within social and racial justice movements
- Demonstrated success in developing and implementing communications messaging and strategies for multiple projects and audiences
- Marketing and public relations skills a must
- Strategic thinker with ability to craft sharp, powerful content that pops
- Strong writing, editing and verbal skills, with the capacity to translate complex ideas and contextual environments into simple and clear messages, calls-to-action, directives, etc.
- Excellent storytelling skills (journalism, podcasting, blogging, publishing, writing background)
- Strong design aesthetic and basic knowledge of graphic design elements
- Deep project management experience, with the ability to quickly pivot between projects
- Proficiency in MS Office Suite (Word, PowerPoint, and Excel), Adobe InDesign, Venngage and other communications and graphic design software platforms.
- A bachelor’s degree in communications, marketing, public relations, journalism, film, screenwriting, public health or a related field, or an equivalent combination of education and relevant professional experience.
- Master’s degree preferred.
- This is a full-time position, approximately 40 hours per week.
- This is a remote position, with occasional travel throughout the Southern California region and the State of California post-pandemic. The individual chosen for this position will be expected to work from their home office in Southern California. We will not consider candidates who are located outside of Southern California.
- This position is eligible for PHI’s full suite of benefits including but not limited to medical, dental, and vision coverage, health care and dependent care flexible spending accounts, and generous time off.
- The application deadline is May 3, 2021.
This position reports to the Alliance’s Director of Operations, and works collaboratively with Alliance members and staff, vendors, and other partners to develop communications materials and strategies.