Four passionate Eastside activists who came together formed East LA Community Corporation (ELACC) in 1995. ELACC’s mission is to advocate for economic and social justice in Boyle Heights and Unincorporated East Los Angeles by building affordable housing, grassroots leadership, and access to economic development opportunities for low and moderate-income families. Over the 24-year history of ELACC, we have leveraged over $259 million in investments through community-driven real estate development, mobilized thousands of residents to change policies, served thousands of low-income residents with community wealth services, and we provide quality affordable homes for over 2,900 people.
About the Position: ELACC seeks a Staff Accountant who is detail oriented and a self-starter to lead the accounts receivable and accounts payable for all real estate transactions including property purchases, pre-construction costs, construction draws, and operations. They must understand and be able to reconcile general ledger accounts to ensure accurate general ledger coding and project allocations. This position reports to the senior accounting position.
The Staff Accountant is an ELACC team member that leads their core project and fulfills their responsibilities to the entire team by actively fundraising, supporting organization wide projects, participating in all staff planning sessions, and being part of achieving the organization mission and vision.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Oversee accounts payable and receivable for projects in acquisition, predevelopment and construction
- Ensure proper use of account codes and support Project Managers / Assistant Project Managers on proper coding and allocation process.
- Communicate routinely with real estate development staff
- Coordinate with real estate development staff to create and implement procedures to centralize real estate accounting files
- Run various reports and perform budget tracking, including review job costs for budget variances
- Prepare draw packages and review project reporting
- Responsible for bank reconciliations for real estate project accounts
- Understand loan documents, terms, and conditions and monitor compliance
- Manage intercompany transactions
- Maintain balance sheet schedules
- Invoice and manage partnership fees
- Prepare and coordinate bank deposits for real estate project accounts
- Support cost certification process
- Support organizational consolidated audit and Limited Partnership audits
- Complete annual residual receipts calculations/payments
- Assist and analyze month end closing and year end close
- Participate and support organization wide events and activities
- Other duties as assigned
- Minimum of an BA Accounting Degree and two years of experience in accounting (preferred real estate and construction accounting)
- Firm foundation in accounting principles and financial reporting standards, including GAAP, and some knowledge of the OMB circular A-122 & A133, and 2CFR 200.
- Prior experience preferred with creating, tracking, amending and reconciling general ledgers, and completing and assembling reports while adhering to varying funder guidelines and regulations
- Ability to prioritize and meet communicated schedules and deadlines
- Ability to handle confidential information
- Demonstrated ability to work independently, and as part of a team
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Excel
- Working knowledge of NetSuite (preferred) or similar accounting software programs
- Excellent organization skills and attention to detail
- Access to a car with valid insurance.
- Genuine interest and passion for ELACC issues and priorities.
- Proficiency in English; Proficiency in Spanish desirable.
Compensation: 48K - 52K Annually. Salary based on qualifications and experience. This is a full-time, bargaining unit, nonexempt
position with a competitive benefits package that includes health, dental, retirement, life and disability