The Chief Operating Officer (COO) will oversee all operational functions of the organization. The COO will coordinate and execute the organization's daily operational needs. They will oversee the management of the SPARC facility, staff scheduling and coordination, technical support, human resources, gallery and on-site mural installations, and events. The COO will work with SPARC’s Program Manager and Administrative & Development Associate to support the completion of all on-site projects. The COO will provide overall direction for the completion of SPARC programs and projects. The COO will plan, direct, coordinate operational activities at the highest level of management, and support staff towards the timely completion of milestones anticipating any potential delays to keep projects within budgetary requirements.
About the Organization
Social and Public Art Resource Center (SPARC) is a community-based non-profit arts organization founded in 1976 by muralist Judith F. Baca, filmmaker Donna Deitch and artist Christina Schlesinger. SPARC is dedicated to producing, presenting and preserving public artworks in Los Angeles neighborhoods. The organization is best known for its work in hundreds of Los Angeles neighborhoods at a grassroots level to produce the rich legacy of Los Angeles murals.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Direct or coordinate the organization's financial or budget activities to fund operations, maximize resources, or increase efficiency.
- Appoint department heads or managers and assign or delegate responsibilities to them.
- Analyze operations to evaluate performance of the organization’s staff in meeting objectives, to determine areas of potential cost reduction, program improvement, or policy change.
- Direct, plan, or implement policies, objectives, or activities of the organization’s businesses to ensure continuing operations, to maximize returns on investments, and to increase productivity. Including but not limited to: inter-departmental control systems and processes, administrative/support services, financial operations, sales, marketing and customer service activities, and project activities.
- Implement corrective action plans to solve organizational or structural problems.
- Prepare financial reports including: budgets for approval (including those for funding or implementation of programs) and yearly audits.
- Establish each program’s responsibilities and coordinate functions among projects and out of the center’s sites and provide project-based reports and progress updates towards project completion.
- Write grants to support operations, write reports to funders, write articles, or present information at meetings to promote the organization, exchange ideas, or accomplish objectives.
- Advise others on legal or regulatory compliance matters and analyze impact of of legal or regulatory changes
- Analyze data to assess operational or project decisions, activities and effectiveness.
- Develop and communicate organizational policies, procedures and/or programs.
- Manage staff development and prepare staff schedules and work assignments.
- Confer with organizational members or departments to accomplish work activities and improve function or communication.
- Oversee HR protocols and resolve employee or contractor problems as necessary.
- Represent the organization in external relations and coordinate/manage relationships with vendors/partners/external parties to exchange information.
Requirements and Qualifications
- BA in Nonprofit Business Management, Business Management, or equivalent
- 4 Years of Experience in Nonprofit Management
- Proficient in Quickbooks Online
- Experience using Project Management software
- Proficient in Microsoft Office and G Suite Software
- Proficient in Adobe Software such as Adobe Acrobat, Photoshop, Video Editing Software
- Proficient at image management and art handling
- Evidence of commitment to the mission and core values of the organization
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills with proven ability to evaluate and implement solutions in a fast paced, high pressure environment
This is a full-time position with a competitive benefits package. Salary commensurate with experience.