LA Plaza de Cultura y Artes serves the public by providing educational experiences through public programming and exhibitions that celebrate the rich cultural heritage of Mexicans, Mexican Americans and all Latinos in Southern California. LA Plaza opened to the public in 2011 in two renovated buildings located in the downtown Los Angeles historic core. Established by the County of Los Angeles, LA Plaza operates as a non-profit organization governed by a board of directors and is funded through the County’s cultural arts program.
The Development Associate is an integral member of the Development Department and responsible for assisting in developing and executing fund-raising strategies for LA Plaza’s new Cocina development and other departmental projects. Initially, the position will focus on fundraising for the organization’s new Mexican teaching kitchen opening in 2021. Working closely with the Director of Development and the CEO, this position supports all Development activities, including donor relations, membership, LA Plaza’s travel program, grant reporting activities and other potential fundraising events. The Development Associate assists in carrying out the development strategy for the organization identifies prospects for individual, corporate, and foundation gifts, assists with strategies for solicitation, and works to facilitate and steward connections.
Values & Principles:
- Abide by LA Plaza’s policies and procedures and operate with candor, transparency, clear communication and the highest ethical standards.
- Demonstrate a strong passion for fulfilling the goals of LA Plaza as a representative of the organization with the larger community.
- Committed to learning and understanding the vision and goals of LA Plaza in order to effectively cultivate and maintain donors.
- Committed to learning all products, services, work plans and metrics of the department and LA Plaza.
- Strive to reach and exceed established personal and professional goals- set quarterly and annually.
- Serve as a team player by working collaboratively with all LA Plaza’s employees.
- Uphold the highest standards of customer service for all LA Plaza’s constituents in terms of speed of response, accuracy and completeness.
- Duties: Assist in executing strategies to identify and secure corporate, foundation, individual and government partnerships, and develop target prospect lists. Associate will cultivate/engage existing donors and prospects which support the Cocina and LA Plaza. The position requires a strong understanding of the marketing and business needs of corporations and foundations and must be able to execute revenue generation strategies that addresses these needs in order to reach their fundraising goal.
- Organizational Development: Assists with the annual work plan process, including the collection of data for departmental year-end reports. Serves as coordinator and behind the scene lead for fundraising events, which include dinners, select gatherings, and other events that support LA Plaza.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential job function assigned satisfactorily. The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this position.
- Experience: 2+ years in development and/or events planning. Special consideration will be given to candidates with proven fundraising results.
- Education: Bachelor’s degree required. An undergraduate degree in public relations, communications, English or marketing preferred.
- Communication Skills: Ability to cultivate stakeholders via written or verbal communication – strong writing, knowledge of event planning, and presentation skills required.
- Technology Skills: Strong computer proficiency, including mastery of the Microsoft Office software suite familiarity with social media, and a willingness and ability to learn appropriate database, spreadsheet and other computer programs.
- Project Management Skills: Strong organizational and management skills with attention to detail. Proven track record of achieving revenue targets. Flexibility to work evenings and weekends based on special event schedule.
- Judgment and Discretion: Skill in determining matters of importance and information of use to the director, exercising initiative in accomplishing any related tasks or referring the rest. Ability to refer, give, deny or ask for information in a tactful and friendly manner. Ability to keep information confidential.
- Teamwork & Confidentiality: Ability to work well independently and as a team member. Ability to take initiative and follow tasks through to completion. Ability to work with a team toward LA Plaza’s goals, leveraging each team member's skill set. Strong ability to maintain the integrity of confidential information. Professional appearance and demeanor.
- Ability to travel and attend meetings, presentations and events outside the office.
- May require weekends, extended workday, attendance at off-site events and/or meetings.
- Reports to Director Development and Membership
LA Plaza offers a competitive compensation package that includes:
- Salary range: $45,000 - $60,000
- Individual health, dental and vision care
- Free parking
- Non-match 401K plan