The Karsh Family Social Service Center (the “Karsh Center”) at Wilshire Boulevard Temple is in the heart of Los Angeles’s Koreatown neighborhood. The Karsh Center, established in 2016, is a social service center offering integrated food security, physical health, legal, mental health and other services for individuals and families living in the vicinity of the Karsh Center. Centralizing these services directly with the assistance of volunteers and through a collaboration of providers at the Karsh Center enables us to offer a variety of vital services to our community. The Karsh Center is a 501 (c)(3) non-religious organization.
We are seeking an organized, motivated, personable, and driven individual to fill the full-time role of Development and Communications Associate at the Karsh Center. The successful candidate will have extraordinary communication skills and familiarity/experience with philanthropic development programs. The position will report directly to the Executive Director of the Karsh Center.
In conjunction with the professional and lay leadership, the Development Associate will participate in the conception and implementation of an updated strategic development and communications plan for the Karsh Center with the goal of increasing the exposure, awareness and support of the Karsh Center to multiple constituencies, including the institutional and individual philanthropic community, businesses and organizations in the Koreatown community, the social service community, local government, the Wilshire Boulevard Temple congregation and prospective clients, to facilitate funding and expansion of the Karsh Center programs.
This position will help raise the visibility and awareness of the Karsh Center to increase opportunities for financial support, increase volunteer participation and expand our services to a broader community by:
- Facilitating implementation of a strategic development plan for Individual and Institutional Donors and other potential funding sources.
- Devising and implementing a stewardship program to assure (i) regular contact with donors, (ii) interaction through various cultivation activities and events, and (iii) additional fundraising requests are strategically made.
- Work with the Karsh Development Committee to develop and maintain relationships with donors, prospective donors and other potential funders by researching, managing and reporting on all development related activity and opportunities.
- Work on potential new initiatives, such as a legacy program, corporate sponsorships, and sponsored/underwritten corporate or group volunteer projects.
- Work with Collaborating Service Providers to identify opportunities for shared stories and joint fundraising.
- Research foundation grant opportunities and corporate sponsorship opportunities.
- Support the Karsh Center’s profile as a sustained thought leader, by establishing narratives and pitches to generate regular press and social media coverage in relevant local and national publications.
- Ensure employees, volunteers, collaborators and supporters are aware of Karsh activities, enabling them to be effective ambassadors for the organization, including sharing social media posts and earned media coverage.
- Create Karsh Center strategic messaging and educational materials to improve understanding of the Karsh Center, including positive impact on Karsh constituents and the availability of volunteer opportunities.
- Bachelors Degree required.
- Minimum of three years of nonprofit experience as well as but not limited fundraising, development, events, communications and/or resource development experience.
- Experience working in a fast pace deadline-driven environment.
- Ability to handle multiple concurrent assignments and meet deadlines.
- Familiarity with the grant process: research, drafting, submission, follow up reporting.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Excellent attention to detail.
- Knowledge of communications and fundraising best practices.
- Excellent computer skills, knowledge of Raiser's Edge or Sales Force (database management),
- Excel and electronic communications (email, listserv, e-newsletters, MailChimp etc.).
- Exposure to the Jewish non-profit community would be beneficial.
- Knowledge of the workings of other social service providers and centers, especially in the Mid
- Wilshire-Koreatown neighborhood of Los Angeles would be valuable.