The Volunteer & Program Director plays a key role in enhancing Chrysalis programming content and delivery. They will oversee Chrysalis’ volunteer program, including the recruitment, training, coordination and management of approximately 120+ weekly volunteers. In addition, they will be responsible for core program (classes, resumes, practice interviews, etc.) content development and delivery, including supporting staff/volunteer training efforts across Chrysalis sites. Volunteers are a critical part of our fundraising efforts, which the Volunteer and Program team supports in various ways. As part of the Client Services leadership team, this position plays an integral role in supporting the organization’s Strategic Plan.
Duties and Responsibilities to include but not limited to:
Manage Volunteer Pipeline and Pool to Deliver Exceptional Services to Clients
- Recruit, onboard, place, train, manage, engage and celebrate 120+ volunteers to provide core program services, such as class facilitation, resume development, practice interviews, online job applications and resource room upkeep, in addition to special events / skills-based volunteer opportunities.
- Implement consistent and efficient recruitment and onboarding process for all volunteers, in keeping with the Chrysalis brand. Ensuring sufficient, consistent and high-quality volunteer services to meet needs.
- Maintain an electronic database(s) of volunteer details (contact information, services provided, etc.) updated in an accurate and timely manner.
- Working with Program Data Manager, conduct evaluation of program effectiveness with an eye toward identifying opportunities to improve program operations.
- Ensure volunteers meet established standards and follow Chrysalis policies and procedures in providing key services to clients.
- Manage program delivery aspects of volunteer services, including forms/tools/templates/training for resume/interview volunteers as well as support for class facilitators.
- Develop back-up volunteer capacity by cross-training and scheduling volunteers strategically.
- Deliver direct service in the event that a volunteer is unavailable.
- In collaboration with Site Directors, respond to escalated client grievances.
Develop and Oversee Core Program Service Delivery
- Oversee Chrysalis’ job readiness training program, including the Core Program (classes and 1:1 services) and additional programming (e.g., Tech Lab, Application Station, Financial Empowerment Workshops with partners), as appropriate. This includes keeping materials up-to-date and making material and procedural enhancements as needed.
- Identify new supplemental programs, program components, and updates to existing programs, and work with the Client Services Leadership Team to plan, design, and then roll out changes.
- Incorporate best practices and standards, such as Trauma Informed Care and Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, in curriculum and training.
- Work closely with the full Client Services Leadership Team to facilitate best-in-class staff meetings/training and client experiences.
- Assist in the development and monitoring of program reports, evaluations, and other data collection (quantitative & qualitative). Ensure appropriate mechanisms are in place to capture data/reflect client participation.
- Maintain supplies, such as workbooks, stamps and name tags, at each site necessary to conduct classes.
Provide Unique Engagement Opportunities and Manage Key Partner Relationships
- Work collaboratively with Development & Communications and Senior Leadership to :
- Cultivate relationships (volunteer, hiring, donor, etc.) with current and potential Chrysalis partners, including individuals, groups, and corporations.
- Develop multi-faceted engagement strategies for companies seeking Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) opportunities with Chrysalis.
- In conjunction with Development & Communication host a large annual fundraiser, staffed in large part by volunteers.
- Identify and oversee a range of high impact, mission-centric volunteer activities to engage individuals/corporations with Chrysalis
- Maintain the appropriate amount of engagement flexibility to engage high-profile volunteers with a variety of schedules and interests.
- Lead, support, mentor, and manage the volunteer & program team consisting of 6+ team members and additional staff/interns as needed.
- Develop and foster a culture of engagement, innovation, support, transparency, and accountability.
- Adhere to all Chrysalis policies and procedures.
- Support the Chrysalis Mission and adhere to the Chrysalis Code of Ethics.
- Other duties as assigned.
Job Skills & Qualifications:
- Interest in, experience working with, and sensitivity toward the Chrysalis target population.
- Minimum 3+ years of experience (or equivalent) managing volunteer program and program delivery, including experience designing curriculum, facilitating groups or teaching classes, and planning/executing events.
- Bilingual (English and Spanish) strongly preferred.
- Excellent teamwork and leadership skills, including the ability to coach/mentor staff, volunteers and clients.
- Exceptional customer service and interpersonal skills, including the ability to use tact and diplomacy in all interactions.
- Strong organizational skills, including effective time management and the ability to work and make decisions independently.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, professional environment.
- Ability to solve challenging operational problems and make timely decisions, often under pressure with tight and competing deadlines.
- Self-starter with “can do” attitude and initiative.
- Maintain confidential information and exercise discretion.
- Ability and willingness to work occasional evenings and weekends.
- Facility for data and statistics, including comfort with spreadsheets and database programs.
- High level of proficiency in software applications including, Microsoft Office Suite, Internet and Google programs required. Previous experience in case management database program(s) preferred. Willingness to learn new computer applications.
- Ability to get to all Chrysalis sites, by car (valid driver license and insurance required) or other method.
- Excellent written, verbal communication, organization and time management skills.
- Thrive in a high-paced, demanding environment.