The Policy Analyst supports the advancement of First 5 LA’s public policy priorities by monitoring, assessing, and analyzing the policy landscape and supporting the development of policy amendments and proposals. Reporting directly to the Senior Policy Strategist, the Policy Analyst collects and analyzes information; forecasts policy and budget trends; tracks and analyzes policy proposals, opportunities, and challenges; makes policy recommendations and develops policy alternatives; conducts quantitative and qualitative research; and produces reports, briefs, presentations, and other materials to help advance policy goals. As a critical member of the Office of Government Affairs and Public Policy, the Policy Analyst helps develop and implement strategies to move public policy change and communicates important policy issues with First 5 LA staff and Commissioners.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
The Policy Analyst will visibly demonstrate the adopted organizational values of collaboration, integrity, learning, and diversity, equity and inclusion in the execution of their key areas of responsibility:
Key Areas of Responsibility:
- Public policy monitoring and analysis
- Public policy research and development
- Policy writing and communication
Public Policy Monitoring and Analysis
- Monitors events, policy decisions, trends and other issues with implications for the political and policy landscape related to (Health Systems/Family Supports/ECE) at the local, state, and federal level
- Reviews and analyzes reports, data sets, policy and budget proposals, and other materials
Public Policy Research and Development
- Researches (Health Systems/Family Supports/ECE) public policy issues
- Recommends policy positions and strategies to support (Health Systems/Family Supports/ECE) policy priorities
- Supports the development of strategies to advance policy issues
Policy Writing and Communication
- Creates materials including position letters, issue briefs, policy memos, reports, presentations, and other documents
- Presents findings, recommendations, and other relevant information to various audiences including the First 5 LA Board of Commissioners and organization-wide leadership, strategic partners, internal staff, and policymakers
- Coordinates Office of Government Affairs and Public Policy communication activities and develop materials as necessary, including policy articles, public statements, interview questions, and website content
- Advances the organization’s commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion, and elevates a diversity of perspectives
- Adheres to policies and procedures to ensure alignment with State regulations, local ordinances and First 5 LA/First 5 California directives
- Supervises contractors and consultants, as needed
Other duties and responsibilities may be assigned. The duties and responsibilities listed are designed to provide typical examples of the work performed; not all duties and responsibilities assigned are included here, nor is it expected that all similar positions will be assigned every duty and responsibility.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Commitment to organizational mission and values: Mission-driven and self-directed, with a demonstrated passion for First 5 LA’s work to strengthen families and improve child outcomes; strives to model organizational values through daily actions and behaviors
- Possesses Customer-Focused Mindset: Is aware of and considers relevant internal and external stakeholders and their needs (customers); identifies solutions to be responsive to stakeholder needs; considers impact when executing daily tasks
- Collaborative: Collaborates with peers to drive results in alignment with organizational and operational goals in support of the organization’s mission; is able to work in cross-functional teams
- Communicates Effectively: Communicates effectively both written and oral; demonstrates active listening and comprehension; selects and uses appropriate communication methods to keep others appropriately informed; able to tailor messages appropriately to various audiences
- Demonstrates Integrity and Judgment: Follows through on commitments letting others know of his/her true intentions; ensures decision-making or recommendations are fact-based and others understand the decision/recommendation before moving forward; considers the relative costs and benefits of potential actions to choose the most appropriate one
- Demonstrates Critical Thinking: Applies critical thinking, logic and reasoning to effectively think through problems and information; identifies relative strengths and weaknesses of options, solutions or approaches
- Demonstrates Strategic Thinking: Considers issues and relationships relevant to achieving long range goals or vision; identifies alternatives based on logical assumptions, facts, available resources, constraints, and organizational values to layout several points of view on a course of action to accomplish goals
- Demonstrates Contribution to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion: Supports equal and active participation of people and groups with diverse identifies, race, ethnicities, abilities, characteristics, cultures, socio-economic status, opinions, and beliefs; continuously challenges assumptions, and is mindful of unconscious bias, and leverages differences; understands historical and current context and root causes of inequities within society, systems and institutions; values a diversity of perspectives and encourages contributions by all team members
Job Specific Competencies
- Role Specific Content: Knowledge of local, state, and federal government operations including legislation, budget, and policy development; ability to understand complex issues quickly and communicate them succinctly; experience in public policy; strong research and analysis skills, including but not limited to legislative and budgetary analysis; and strong writing skills
- Planning and Organization and Project Management: Works in an organized manner with strong attention to detail; comfortable with “big picture” thinking and moving towards larger, systems-level goals; ability to effectively manage overlapping projects and deadlines; ability to work under pressure, meet deadlines and adjust to changing priorities;; integrates changes smoothly;; ability to manage high performance projects
- Minimum of three years of experience in policy analysis, research, implementation, or a related field preferred
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in policy, public administration, public affairs, political science, economics, research science, or other relevant field preferred
- Proficiency in MS Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook)
- Proficiency in web-based collaboration and/or meeting platforms (e.g. Microsoft Teams, Zoom, Sli-do etc.)
- Ability to use widely supported internet browsers
Certificates, Licenses and Registrations:
- Valid California Class C Driver License or the ability to utilize an alternative method of transportation when needed to carry out job-related essential functions
- Valid automobile liability insurance
- This position requires travel locally, statewide and nationally as needed
Physical Requirements / Work Environment
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The employee will sit, talk, hear and use hands up to 2/3 of the time. The employee will stand and walk up to 1/3 of the time. The employee is routinely required to carry and/or lift up to 10 pounds.
- The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.