The Communications Strategist/Staff Writer is responsible for drafting and editing owned media content including blogs and articles, web copy, digital media postings, e-mail marketing, and reports. The Communications Strategist/Staff Writer will work closely with members of the Communications & Media Advocacy Department to amplify and publicize our work, educate the public, engage our base online, and influence how our issues are framed in the media.
The Communication Strategist/ Staff Writer will be directly supervised by the Director of Creative.
RACIAL EQUITY COMPETENCIES:
Understanding and Applying Racial Equity
- Demonstrate commitment to building or deepening understand of racial equity:
- Core terms and concepts such as structural racism, white privilege, and anti- Blackness.
- The role that racial inequity has played and continues to play in our society.
- How race impacts supervisory relationships, team dynamics, and organizational culture.
- Personal/implicit/unconscious bias.
Working for Racial Equity
- Consistently assess structural implications and racially disproportionate impacts of policies, activities, and decisions within the context of their job responsibilities; race/ethnicity, intersection of race/ethnicity, gender, identity, and/or sexual orientation.
- Consistently adhere to organization’s racial equity policies and procedures, including those that relate to hiring, retention, and promotion.
- Consistently identify and disrupt ways in which bias plays out in work and/or team.
Leading on Racial Equity
- Effectively encourage people to have honest conversations about racial equity, and accept feedback openly, non-defensively, and from a posture of learning.
- Consistently address structural implications and racially disproportionate impacts of policies, activities, and decisions by identifying and implementing changes that can produce more equitable outcomes. This applies not only in terms of race/ethnicity, but also at the intersection of race/ethnicity, gender identity, and/or sexual orientation.
- Consistently set racial equity outcomes, goals, and performance measures for team, department, or organization, and develop and successfully implement plans to achieve them.
Writing and Editing
- Draft and edit blog posts and op-eds including ghostwriting for program staff, letters to the editor, and other press materials, in close collaboration with the Press & Communications Strategist.
- Work with staff to help produce and edit high quality materials such as advocacy reports, the ACLU SoCal annual report, fact sheets and marketing and engagement flyers, in close collaboration with the Director of Creative and consultants.
- Craft e-mail marketing alerts and social media language, and participate in digital strategy planning, in close collaboration with the Digital Strategist.
- Coordinate with the communications team for adaptation of content and distribution of workload, specifically regarding writing tasks.
- Draft and edit other ACLU SoCal written materials as assigned by the Chief Communications & Marketing Officer.
Strategy and Messaging
- Develop and maintain consistent talking points, tone, and narrative for the organization’s issue areas to be used in organizational and ambassador communications.
- Assist in developing and implementing an integrated, strategic communications plan that promotes the ACLU's work across a broad platform of media outlets.
- Work with San Diego and Northern California affiliates, as well as our national office and Sacramento office, on communications strategy and messaging.
- Work with messaging and research consultants to develop new narrative frames and help implement adoption of new messaging by training staff and partners, in close collaboration with the Chief Communications & Marketing Officer.
- Use the Communications & Media Advocacy Department’s strategic communications process to manage requests from program staff for communications support.
- Contribute to refining and updating the Communications Department guiding processes and protocols about best practices in strategic communications.
- Other communications projects as assigned by the Chief Communications & Marketing Officer.
- 3 to 5 years of experience in writing, formulating copy, and editing
- Excellent oral, written, and editing skills, including ability to draft materials on a wide range of topics in a timely manner.
- Detail-oriented with the ability to manage projects, such as reports, from inception through execution.
- Solution-oriented approach, with a willingness to take initiative, while juggling several priorities.
- Ability to both work independently and as a team member with personal enthusiasm, optimism and a sense of humor.
- Ability to work independently and keep organized in a fast-paced environment, manage several projects simultaneously, and adjust strategy to frequently changing demands.
- Strong commitment to racial and social justice.
The salary range for this position $70,000 - $80,000. Benefits include medical, vision, and dental insurance for staff members and their eligible dependents; life and long- term disability insurance; 401(k) plan with employer match; ample vacation and sick leave and thirteen paid holidays.