The Levitt LA Director of Communications & Development (Director) leads all communications with Levitt LA’s audience and supporters. The Director plays a key role in strengthening Levitt LA’s presence in the Los Angeles music industry, surrounding communities, audience development, and in individual donor and sponsorship relations.
With guidance from the Executive Director, and in collaboration with staff, the Director shapes Levitt LA’s marketing and promotion strategies, and implements a broad spectrum of Levitt LA’s communications to advance the organization’s mission, including elevating Levitt LA’s brand, individual donor communications, social media, and sponsorship relations.
As a member of the Levitt LA team, the Director provides on-site support throughout the summer concert season and is expected to attend every concert of the series, Thursday through Sunday evenings, early June through early September. For the 2021 season, the Director will lead communications for an online series, dates and times TBD.
Working with Levitt LA means being part of a collaborative and dedicated team who are passionate about music, art, culture, the MacArthur Park/Westlake community, and Los Angeles overall. We value a ‘can-do’ attitude, a positive spirit, emotional intelligence, a ‘start-up' culture work ethic, anti-racism, equity, diversity and inclusion.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Develops a vision and voice for Levitt LA’s brand with passion while tending to the daily administrative details that are critical to organizational success
- Creates and tracks an annual marketing plan and budget, allocating funds to advertising, printing, labor, etc.
- Maintains tracking of Levitt LA’s communication efforts and the effectiveness of various communication strategies; provide regular reports to organizational leadership
- Creates bi-lingual (Spanish and English) communications such as eblasts, social media posts, fundraising letters, event invitations, sponsorship decks, project descriptions, etc.
- Designs basic invitations, postcards, eblasts, and other marketing materials
- Translates and proofs all copy in English and Spanish
- Implements day-to-day social media activation and eblasts to advance Levitt LA’s communication strategy and shapes the organization’s voice
- Creates an advertisement strategy and allocates advertisement funds per media outlets, creating advertisements with Executive Director oversight
- Maintains the Levitt LA website and oversees future website redesign
- Supervises interns and consultants with guidance and support from the Levitt LA Executive Director
- Works with a graphic design consultant to create season brochure, advertisements, and other materials
- Oversees PR consultant to execute press releases and coordinates press outreach
- Provides support for the Levitt LA Board meetings, including preparing meeting handouts and resource materials
- Provides support to the Executive Director by coordinating communication and appreciation for Levitt LA’s individual donors and Board members
- Provides support to the Executive Director in Development planning and attainment of resources through diverse funding efforts such as funder events, planned giving, In-Kind solicitations, sponsorship, and crowd funding.
- Provides support to the Executive Director to plan and implement categorical donor programs with a timely recognition system
- As schedule permits all Levitt LA team members may participate in community meetings, conferences, events and activities year-round that elevate visibility for Levitt LA and help advance its mission, including fundraising, volunteer recruitment, and community engagement.
- Retain comprehensive knowledge of trends, emerging platforms, and new technologies in the digital marketing space
- Other duties may be assigned as needed.
Skills & Experience
- Exceptional writing skills in English and Spanish, fastidious with details and exceptional proof-reading skills
- 5+ Years’ experience in communications strategy for the performing arts and/or music industry highly preferred, or similar field and a demonstrated ability to create compelling communications across multiple platforms
- Content strategy, content creation and social media management for the performing arts or similar field
- Experience with Digital/Radio/TV Buy Ads
- Experience with Digital Marketing Analysis in live events including Direct to Consumer platforms, Customer Journey Analysis, A/B Testing, CX Customer Experience, PR measurements, Facebook Business Manager, and Google Analytics, preferred but not required
- Competent with donor management systems and CRM software, MailChimp, and Microsoft Office
- Basic graphic design skills to create simple invitations, social media posts, eblasts, and ads, Adobe Suite preferred
- Advanced knowledge and demonstrated success of utilizing social media platforms and their communities as well how to optimize performance across activations
- Excellent time management skills to plan and execute several projects simultaneously with the ability to meet deadlines and manage designers, interns, and staff effectively
- Thrives in a high-performing, small nonprofit organization, with an understanding of its opportunities and limitations
- Personable, energetic, passionate, and knowledgeable about music, arts, culture, and Los Angeles
- Excellent interpersonal skills to communicate effectively with donors, Board members, community partners, audience members, and all Levitt LA stakeholders
- Ability to navigate cultural complexities and a willingness to incorporate a variety of perspectives from Levitt LA’s diverse stakeholders, artists, and partners
- Eagerness to partake in Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion practices and training
- Experience and connections with influencers and brand ambassadors that would be in alignment with Levitt LA mission/vision and strategies, preferred but not required
- Established relationships with media outlets and press members, preferred but not required
- Established relationships with key members of the philanthropic community and appropriate community organizations, preferred but not required
This is an exempt position. The salary is $75,000 with potential salary increase by 2022, and room for growth. Medical insurance, and a robust vacation and PTO package included.
Levitt Pavilion is located in MacArthur Park. Due to COVID-19 this is currently a remote position until Levitt LA resumes live, in-person concerts.
Applications may be submitted until position is filled. Anticipated start date of February 15, 2021.