The Natural History Museum of Los Angeles County was the first museum in L.A. to open its doors 107 years ago and is poised for an exciting new era as it plans for the future. Having recently completed a new strategic framework, the Natural History Museums of Los Angeles County—including NHM at Exposition Park, La Brea Tar Pits and museum in mid-Wilshire, and the William S. Hart Museum in Newhall—is looking forward to new building projects and campaigns, exhibitions, community outreach, and innovative audience engagement.
The Natural History Museums of Los Angeles County is seeking a Manager, Public Programs for the Education, Exhibition, and Programs department. The Manager, Public Programs will report directly to the Director, Programs, and will have the responsibility to oversee the dynamic team of staff that supports audiences from preschool through adult learners and maximizes the impact of public programs for the communities in the broader Los Angeles region. They will work with the Director, Programs to implement a comprehensive and integrated programmatic vision for the Natural History Museum and the La Brea Tar Pits & Museum.
Responsibilities for this position include, but are not limited to:
1. Generate new and innovative public programming according to the Museum’s mission and strategic plan and works in collaboration with appropriate staff to generate ideas.
2. Establish parameters of Public Programs suite including setting goals, schedule, deadlines, and budget.
3. Develop, manage, and implement programs for a range of audiences from preschool to adult learners including festivals, lectures and screenings, camps, First Fridays, and community events as appropriate.
4. Support and facilitate new key strategic partnerships to enhance educational programs and expand museum impact on Los Angeles communities.
5. Lead a dynamic team of staff, providing quality public programs to the community of Los Angeles County and beyond.
This position has the following requirements:
The Natural History Museum of Los Angeles County values and endeavors to support diversity, equity, inclusion, and access within its organization and communities. Candidates who identify as Black, Indigenous, or a Person of Color (BIPOC), neurodiverse, a woman, a person with a disability, a veteran, and/or a part of the LGBTQAI+ community are welcome and encouraged to apply. The Natural History Museum of Los Angeles County is especially interested in candidates whose background and experience have prepared them to contribute to our commitment to engagement and inclusion at culturally diverse audiences in museums and in sciences.
The Natural History Museum of Los Angeles County is seeking applicants who have demonstrated experience and commitment to working with a diverse community. The salary range for this position is $59,000 - $61,000 with experience plus excellent benefits. This is a full time regular, exempt position.
A cover letter, current resume, and a list of 3-4 references are required for all applicants. Review of applications begins immediately and continues until the position is filled. Interested candidates please visit www.nhmlac.org/careers-our-museums and click the link of the position for which you are interested or go directly to the online application.
The Natural History Museum of Los Angeles County is an Equal Opportunity Employer.