Lead the U.S. Green Building Council of Los Angeles’ (USGBC-LA’s) development efforts in support of the local Green Building Movement. In collaboration with the Executive Director, Board of Directors, and supporting staff, the Director of Development is responsible for planning, organizing, and directing all of USGBC-LA’s fundraising including donation campaigns, grant writing, planned giving, special events, and other capital campaigns.
The ideal candidate is passionate about sustainability as a tool to drive cultural change. They see the vision of the built environment as the fabric that knits it all together, understand green building practices and the value of our community, are innovative yet detail-oriented, flexible, and are very comfortable working within a collaborative team environment.
- Effective interpersonal communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Have knowledge and experience in fundraising techniques, particularly major gift fundraising, and individual donation campaigns.
- Possess the skills to work with and motivate staff, board members, and other volunteers.
- Be a “self-starter” and goal-driven to initiate donor and sponsor relationships.
- Be organized and exhibit “follow through” on tasks and goals.
- Display a positive attitude, show concern for the environment and local communities, demonstrate presence, self-confidence, common sense, and good listening ability.
- Have experience in grant writing proposals at a state, federal, and foundation level.
- Meet with prospective sponsors, donors, and supporters on a continual basis to establish impactful relationships and effective communication.
- Develop a major gifts program and donation campaigns including identification, cultivation, and solicitation of major donors.
- Oversee grant seeking including research, proposal writing, and reporting requirements.
- Develop an annual fund program as well as a planned giving program, including mailings, social media, and email campaigns, and annual fundraising drives.
- Direct capital campaigns and other major fundraising drives.
- Collaborate with team, board, and community members around events for fundraising and sponsorship.
- Oversee prospect research and pipeline development, leveraging digital tools.
- Work closely with the Executive Director, Board of Directors, and partners on regional fundraising strategies and partnerships.
- Attend Board Development Committee meetings.
- Oversee fundraising database and tracking systems.
- Supervise and collaborate with supporting staff, interns, and volunteers.
- Collaborate with marketing to develop materials to support fundraising activities.
- Maintain gift recognition programs.
- Perform other related duties as requested.
TIME COMMITMENT & COMPENSATION:
This full-time, exempt position, including healthcare coverage and compensation, will be commensurate with experience and other qualifications.
ABOUT USGBC-LA (https://usgbc-la.org/):
USGBC-LA is about people – Passionate, practical, and informed professionals and advocates who work together to transform Southern California into a more sustainable region for all. USGBC-LA is the best place for anyone to learn the “why”, “who” and “how” of living sustainably, because business, as usual, is no longer an option. Volunteers and members believe in a sustainable built environment, gaining education, being exposed to innovation, and taking impactful action.