Alliance College-Ready Public Schools was founded in 2004 based on the belief that all young people––regardless of ZIP code, income, ability, or background–– are capable of achieving at high levels. Alliance is now one of the largest and most successful public charter school networks in the nation, operating 28 high-performing middle and high schools serving 13,000 scholars in Los Angeles communities that have been systemically oppressed. In our 16th school year, Alliance has a proven record of success: though 93% of incoming sixth graders come to Alliance reading below grade level, 95% of Alliance graduates have been accepted to college—including 73% to a four-year university. We strive to truly change the life trajectories of our scholars and communities, with a goal of 75% of Alliance graduates completing a four-year college degree. Now is the time to join our collaborative community to make long-lasting change across Los Angeles.
The Director, Procurement Operations & Strategy will work closely with the Vice President, Business Operations & Strategy to lead a strong procurement organization. Director, Procurement Operations & Strategy will play a key role in the mission-critical work of setting long-term procurement and operations vision, implementing and streamlining key activities, managing internal and external partnerships, building capacity across our network, and instilling a customer-centric approach to the Procurement Department’s work.
WHAT YOU WILL DO
Procurement Strategy & Daily Operations
- Design long-term procurement vision and oversee daily operations in service of Alliance Schools and Home Office.
- Set strategic goals and vision for the procurement function and organize the roles and responsibilities within the procurement organization to best support these goals. Manage the Associate, Procurement to effectively execute;
- Execute established procurement best practices including: request for proposal processes, competitive bidding, demand detection, recurring procurement calendar, payment term standardization, contract management, and strategic sourcing across high-spend categories;
- Oversee and support the day-to-day purchasing across all Alliance schools and the Home Office, ensuring fidelity to fiscal policies and procedures and troubleshooting as needed;
- Serve as Alliance’s expert and administrator for Coupa, the organization’s procurement software system;
- Establish group purchasing practices through consortiums and other purchasing mechanisms.
Vendor and Contract and Management
- Provide leadership in determining Alliance’s strategy for managing vendor relationships and contracts.
- Develop and refine a standardized toolkit and process for competitive selection and contract negotiation, and provide customer-centric support to schools utilizing the competitive selection process;
- Aggregate demand, develop a strategic 3-year bid calendar, and conduct large-scale competitive selection and negotiations on behalf of Alliance entities;
- Implement standardized practices for vendor onboarding and ongoing vendor management;
- Work strategically with Alliance schools and Home Office teams to identify and develop partner relationships to bring additional value to schools and/or lower costs for goods and services;
- Oversee the contract review and negotiation process.
Procurement Systems & Processes
- Oversee and continuously improve procurement systems to streamline processes, improve data quality, and ensure procurement data integrity.
- Lead cross-functional collaboration with Home Office departments and school based operations teams to continuously refine Alliance’s procurement processes and empower high-level execution throughout the organization;
- Strategically leverage data and stakeholder feedback to improve procurement across Alliance. Develop data dashboards for schools and Home Office purchasers, determining and managing key performance indicators to proactively manage procurement activities;
- Develop capabilities within the Procure-to-Pay software designed to improve workflow between Alliance and vendors/partners;
- Design, build and implement new systems as needed; in our current COVID-19 context this includes, but is not limited to building a COVID-19 testing program, designing PPE inventory management tools, and developing procurement related health and safety protocols.
- Drive organizational compliance to Alliance’s fiscal policies and procedures, and state and Federal regulations through proactive leadership, targeted training, and progress monitoring.
- Develop a deep and detailed understanding of Alliance’s fiscal policies and procedures and applicable state and federal regulations;
- Work with the broader Alliance Business team to develop tools for monitoring compliance and communicating compliance performance to all Alliance schools and the Home Office;
- Develop strategies for continuously improving compliance and compliance activities, including recommending changes annually to the fiscal policies and procedures;
- Perform other duties to achieve Vice President, Business Operations & Strategy vision and goals as needed.
THE IDEAL CANDIDATES WILL HAVE/BE:
- Commitment to Alliance’s mission and a passion for improving urban public education;
- Strong leader that approaches work with curiosity and is unafraid of challenging the status quo;
- Excellent business/financial acumen, proficient in leading and setting direction for cross-functional teams, including demonstrated ability to motivate, influence and drive change at all levels of the organization;
- Effective manager who is capable of leading and developing team members;
- Exceptionally detail oriented with experience efficiently managing multiple projects and deadlines, coordinating work with multiple departments and functions;
- Demonstrated ability to build and maintain relationships and partnerships with a wide array of stakeholders and audiences - junior and senior, internal staff and external vendors, from diverse backgrounds;
- Systems thinker comfortable with ambiguity and has a demonstrated aptitude for proactively building systems;
- Strong sense of integrity, ethics, and drive to achieve and grow;
- Strong customer service mindset with sense of humility;
- Strong verbal and written communication skills;
- Highly proficient in Google Workspace (Google Mail, Drive Docs, Sheets, Slides, Forms) and ability to navigate new software platforms;
- Prior charter school operations, management consulting, or entrepreneurial/start-up experience preferred;
- Experience with Coupa software.
- At least 4 years of progressive professional work experience in a related field and a Bachelor’s Degree or higher from an accredited college or university in Business, Supply Chain, Finance, Engineering or Purchasing.
- At least 6 years progressive professional work experience in a related field and a high school diploma or equivalent (e.g. GED)
- MBA or other equivalent advanced degree preferred.
- At least 4 years in a strategic sourcing management role overseeing multiple indirect spend categories.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
In alignment with our commitment to equity for our scholars, Alliance is committed to equity and transparency for our team and offer competitive salaries commensurate with experience and education, as well as an employer-sponsored 403b plan annual contribution equal to 5% of regular earnings, and a comprehensive group health benefits package, including medical, dental and vision. This position is exempt. The compensation range for this position is $89,000 - $130,000. To allow room for growth in compensation, the maximum initial salary placement is 80% of the range.