The California College Guidance Initiative is looking for a data visualization expert to join the Data Infrastructure and Analytics Team. As part of the Data Infrastructure and Analytic Team, you will be designing new internal analytics tools and dashboards, as well as continuing to refine and iterate on our existing suite of tools and dashboards. This role will be instrumental in helping us craft nuanced analyses of our data with the aim of uncovering insights on California’s official college and career planning platform for K-12th grade students, parents, and educators, CaliforniaColleges.edu.
The ideal candidate for this team has extensive experience building Tableau dashboards that concisely and thoughtfully answer the most critical organizational questions as well as provoke new inquiries that propel new analyses. They are comfortable working with structured and unstructured data in a variety of analytical tools like SQL, Python, R, etc. that support and/or are the foundation of organizational dashboards. Additionally, this person had extensive experience developing dashboards governed by strong UX/UI best practices, as well as a deep knowledge and/or curiosity about the needs and behaviors of students, educators, and parents, and a passion for educational equity.
There are no direct supervisory responsibilities for this position, but you must be able to proactively and successfully partner and collaborate with other subject matter experts on a project management basis. Lastly, you must be comfortable leading and project managing work with many unknowns and ambiguous solutions.
What Will You Be Doing?
- Participate in day-to-day project management on the Data Infrastructure and Analytics Team, including “stand up” meetings (as availability allows, will be discussed and agreed upon based on work schedule).
- Make complex and large datasets understandable and accessible to a variety of internal and external stakeholders.
- Ensure accuracy
- Identify patterns and the stories that can be told
- Design user-centered dashboards:
- That answer the questions being posed by end users
- With intuitive navigation for entry level dashboard users
- That simply, clearly, and compellingly present data in ways that are accessible to target audiences
- Develop, approve, and maintain documentation that supports the understanding and usage of dashboards
- Develop and maintain expert knowledge of CaliforniaColleges.edu
- Continuously improve data visualization and reporting to stakeholders by staying updated on industry trends and best practices.
What Skills Do You Need?
- Must have advanced SQL knowledge (SQL Server, PostgreSQL, MySQL, etc.) and professional experience working with relational databases, query authoring and optimization, as well as working familiarity with a variety of databases.
- Demonstrated experience developing Tableau dashboards.
- Professional experience implementing UX/UI principles and best practices to data visualization builds.
- Must have experience with object-oriented/object function and statistical scripting languages (Python), R, Stata experience a plus.
What Intangibles Do You Need?
- Strong decision-making skills and collaborative spirit with the ability to take abstract brainstorming and generate concrete proposals for action.
- Advance projects without detailed supervision, balancing multiple responsibilities, and providing colleagues with actionable proposals for advancing collective efforts.
- Thrive in a fast-paced environment with changing priorities and deadlines.
- Juggle multiple projects of various scopes with ease and grace.
- Meticulous attention to detail.
- Excellent verbal communication skills, ability to communicate with various levels of professionals.
- Strong organizational, project, and time management skills.
More About The Data Infrastructure And Analytics Team
- The team oversees all of CCGI’s internal cloud-based data analytics and engineering infrastructure and technical strategy. This includes data analytics, data warehousing, and data engineering projects, ensuring alignment with the organization's mission and goals.
- This is a new role for the team. We are keen for you to bring your experience where you can thrive in an environment that allows for knowledge sharing and creates opportunities for you to take initiative to learn even more. This role reports to the Director of Data Infrastructure and Analytics.
More About CCGI
- The California College Guidance Initiative (CCGI) works to ensure that all 6th-12th grade students in California have access to a systematic baseline of guidance and support as they plan, prepare, and pay for postsecondary education and training. This baseline is provided by CaliforniaColleges.edu. CCGI partners with K-12 school districts to support students, counselors, and parents with the systematic use of CaliforniaColleges.edu, including transcript-informed tools. CaliforniaColleges.edu also houses, audits, and transmits student data to help ensure more accurate and efficient decisions regarding admissions, financial aid, and course placement.
- CCGI is a positive, diverse, and supportive culture. At our core, we prioritize the needs of students above all else.
- Everyone at CCGI works remotely. We are all located in various parts of California. We rarely meet in person. Instead, we make use of tools, such as ZOOM, Slack, and Salesforce, to communicate and document our work.
- CCGI is housed at the Foundation for California Community Colleges but is an autonomous initiative with its own mission, goals, and leadership team.