REPORTS TO: Senior Manager, Farmers’ Market Operations
TITLE: South LA Farmers’ Market Manager
STATUS: Part-time Non-Exempt
Sustainable Economic Enterprises of Los Angeles (SEE-LA) is a leading Southern California nonprofit organization, connecting people to healthy food, promoting economic development, and building sustainable food systems. We operate the largest network of mission-driven farmers’ markets in Los Angeles as well as programs that provide nutrition education, food access, and opportunities for small regional farms and local food businesses to thrive.
SEE-LA is hiring two P/T market managers to manage the operations of the Central Avenue and Crenshaw Farmers’ Markets:
- Central Avenue Farmers’ Market | Thursdays, 10 AM – 3 PM, located at the CD9 Constituent Center 4301 Central Avenue, Los Angeles 90011
- Crenshaw Farmers’ Market | Saturdays, 10 AM – 3 PM, located at the Baldwin Hills Crenshaw Plaza, 3650 W. MLK Jr. Blvd, Los Angeles 90008
Summary of Responsibilities
Each Market Manager is responsible for the day-to-day operation of the Central Avenue or Crenshaw Farmers’ Market, recruitment and retention of farmer/vendors, communications with a variety of market stakeholders, and coordination of other market activities and programs, all under the direction of the Senior Manager, Farmers’ Market Operations. The positions require working market days: Central Avenue, Thursdays from 8 AM - 4:30 PM or Crenshaw, Saturdays 8 AM – 4:30 PM.
Crenshaw Farmers’ Market (Saturdays 8:00 AM – 4:30 PM) or Central Avenue Farmers’ Market (Thursdays 8 AM – 4:30 PM)
- Leads regulation and compliance including but not limited to:
- Enforce SEE-LA rules and other pertinent Regional, State, and Federal laws and regulations (Direct Marketing, California Retail Food Code, etc.
- Communicate market policies, activities, and rules to all vendors
- Resolve emergencies, complaints, and requests from vendors, customers and community partners
- Assist with proper vendor placement in stalls
- Oversees market staff with the following market day tasks:
- Physical set-up and take-down of market
- Maintain market grounds
- Distribute Load Lists, market memos, and other market correspondence to market vendors
- Maintain market supply inventory
- Maintain, organize and tidy up the market storage space
- Operate information booth
- Sell market / SEE-LA merchandise periodically
- Assure that the market site is clean once the market is closed and vendors have left
- Facilitates effective market administration:
- Effectively facilitates vendor check out
- Update social media (Instagram feed and stories, Facebook, Twitter) with relevant market news, vendor updates, seasonal finds, etc.
- Provide support for special events such as food demonstrations, cultural celebrations, book signings, etc.
- Organize and maintain weekly market supplies
Office (2 weekdays)
- Manage weekly market accounting and reconciling:
- Process all load lists from the previous market day.
- Reconcile and submit all forms of payment including cash, check, EBT, Market Match, and WIC.
- Complete weekly market day sales and redemption reports.
- Organize and replenish EBT / Market Match supplies.
- Communicate with vendors and market stakeholders regarding market policies, activities, and rules.
- Maintain vendor files and other administrative tasks as needed.
- Work with SEE-LA’s Manager, Farmers’ Market Operations to secure all necessary permits for operation of a Certified Farmers’ Market.
- Collaborate with state and federal agencies to ensure vendor compliance as needed.
- Develop digital and print promotional materials.
- Promote the farmers’ market within the community, including presentations to schools, local businesses, churches, and other community-based organizations.
- Coordinate community events to be held at the market such as book signings, food demos, etc.
- Interface with community leaders, elected officials, and community stakeholders.
- Attend SEE-LA staff meetings Tuesday afternoons and trainings as required.
- Organize and attend farm, kitchen and studio visits as needed.
- Participate in SEE-LA Farmers’ Market Operations and other SEE-LA initiatives:
- Attend regular meetings including, but not limited to:
- Weekly supervision meetings with Manager, Farmers’ Market Operations
- Farmers’ Market Program Team Meetings every other week
- Monthly SEE-LA staff meetings
- Other meetings and trainings as required
- Participate in internal working groups and other collaborative activities as time permits
- Fundraise on behalf of SEE-LA
REQUIRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- A minimum of three (3) years of relevant professional experience.
- A working knowledge of basic business and food retail operations, experience working with small- business owners, and/or past experience owning a small business.
- Experience with executing communications and community outreach strategies.Experience managing multiple tasks and working with competing deadlines.
- Can work independently, organized and detail-oriented.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office, Zoom, Social Media apps and other technology platforms.
- Comfortable handling cash.
- Must be able to work Thursdays (Central) or Saturdays (Crenshaw).
- Able to read and write in English and Spanish.
DESIRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Experience working in community food systems especially those within the Historic South Central, Crenshaw, and / or South Los Angeles area.
- Experience working at a Certified Farmers’ Market (vendor, management, staff, etc)
- Experience working with underserved, low-income communities with awareness and integrity.
- Knowledge of standards and compliance and other protocol related to the Department of Agriculture, Department of Public Health and other local, state and federal agencies.
PHYSICAL DEMAND AND WORK ENVIRONMENT
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand, sit; talk, hear, and use hands and fingers to operate a computer and telephone keyboard, reach, stoop, and kneel to install computer equipment. Most work will take place indoors, but some work will take place outside in rainy, hot, or cold weather conditions.
May perform related duties as assigned by management.
DISCLAIMER: The above is intended to describe the general contents and requirements for the performance of this job. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of duties, responsibilities, or requirements.