TITLE: Manager, Hollywood Farmers’ Market
STATUS: Full-time Non-Exempt
COMPENSATION: $18-20/hour, health benefits (medical and dental), and vacation and holiday pay.
REPORTS TO: Manager, Farmers’ Market Operations
Sustainable Economic Enterprises of Los Angeles (SEE-LA) is a leading Southern California nonprofit organization, connecting people to healthy food, promoting economic development, and building sustainable food systems. We operate the largest network of mission-driven farmers’ markets in Los Angeles as well as programs that provide nutrition education, food access, and opportunities for small regional farms and local food businesses to thrive.
The Hollywood Farmers’ Market is SEE-LA’s oldest and largest market and operates every Sunday from 8:00 AM to 1:00 PM at Ivar and Selma Avenue in Hollywood, CA.
Summary of Responsibilities
SEE-LA's Manager, Hollywood Farmers’ Market is responsible for the day-to-day operation of the market, recruitment and retention of farmer/vendors, communications with a variety of market stakeholders, and coordination of other market activities and programs, all under the direction of the Manager, Farmers’ Market Operations. This position requires working Sundays at the market (6:00 AM to 3:00 PM).
The ideal candidate is passionate about local food systems, thrives in a fast-paced environment, can effectively juggle many and often competing responsibilities at once, has an affinity for creating and maintaining structure while allowing for fluidity and gains fulfillment in a role that requires a unique blend of interpersonal and administrative skills.
Hollywood Farmers’ Market (Sundays 6:00 AM – 3:00 PM)
- Leads regulation and compliance including but not limited to:
- Enforce SEE-LA rules and other pertinent Regional, State, and Federal laws and regulations (Direct Marketing, California Retail Food Code, etc.)
- Communicate market policies, activities, and rules to all vendors
- Resolve emergencies, complaints, and requests from vendors, customers and community partners
- Assist with proper vendor placement in stalls
- Oversees market staff with the following market day tasks:
- Physical set-up and take-down of market
- Maintain market grounds
- Distribute Load Lists, market memos, and other market correspondence to market vendors
- Maintain market supply inventory
- Maintain, organize and tidy of market storage space
- Operate information / retail booth as needed
- Assure that the market site is clean once the market is closed and vendors have left
- Facilitates effective market administration:
- Effectively facilitates of vendor check out
- Update social media (Instagram feed and stories, Facebook, Twitter) with relevant market news, vendor updates, seasonal finds, etc.
- Support special events such as food demonstrations, cultural celebrations, book signings, etc.
- Organize and maintain weekly market supplies
Office (Monday – Thursday)
- Lead administrative tasks including but not limited to:
- Prepare monthly and quarterly reports
- Renew all market permits
- Maintain Hollywood Farmers’ Market vendor files and securing vendor paperwork
- Purchase market supplies as needed
- Timely communication with vendors and stakeholders, such as:
- Create vendor memos and other vendor correspondence
- Issue vendor violations or warnings
- Coordinate with service providers
- Market Day Preparation
- Prepare and transport weekly market supplies and paperwork
- Finalize market maps
- Vendor + Market Programming Curation and ManagemenT
- Review new vendor applications
- Organize and attend farm, kitchen and studio visits as needed
- Coordinate market programming with internal and community partners, such as recipe demos, book signings, brand activations, Peak of Season Festivals, fundraising activities, etc.
- Promote the health and growth of the market:
- Work with Associate Manager to develop original content for social media posts, including but not limited to: Instagram feed and stories, Facebook posts and events, Twitter
- Attend community meetings with local leaders, elected officials, community members, and other stakeholders
- Manage correspondence with community members including vendors, customers, market neighbors
- As appropriate, develop and implement programming and related marketing materials
- Participate in SEE-LA Farmers’ Market Operations and other SEE-LA initiatives:
- Attend regular meetings including, but not limited to:
- Weekly supervision meetings with Manager, Farmers’ Market Operations
- Farmers’ Market Program Team Meetings every other week
- Monthly SEE-LA staff meetings
- Other meetings and trainings as required
- Participate in internal working groups and other collaborative activities as time permits
- Fundraise on behalf of SEE-LA
REQUIRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- A minimum of three (3) years of relevant professional experience.
- A working knowledge of basic business and food retail operations, experience working with small- business owners, and/or past experience owning a small business.
- Experience with executing communications and community outreach strategies.
- Experience managing multiple tasks and working with competing deadlines.
- Can work independently, organized and detail-oriented.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office, Zoom, Social Media apps and other technology platforms.
- Comfortable handling cash.
- Must be able to work Sundays.
DESIRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Multilingual; particularly Spanish proficiency.
- Experience working in community food systems especially those within the Hollywood and LA area.
- Experience working at a Certified Farmers’ Market (vendor, management, staff, etc)
- Experience working with underserved, low-income communities with awareness and integrity.
- Knowledge of standards and compliance and other protocol related to the Department of
- Agriculture, Department of Public Health and other local, state and federal agencies.
PHYSICAL DEMAND AND WORK ENVIRONMENT
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand, sit; talk, hear, and use hands and fingers to operate a computer and telephone keyboard reach, stoop kneel to install computer equipment. Most work will take place indoors, but some work may take place outside in rainy, hot, or cold weather conditions.
May perform related duties as assigned by management.