Los Angeles Education Partnership (LAEP) is a non-profit organization that advances educational equity. Together with families, schools, and the community we facilitate access to and opportunities for quality educational and wellness practices so that children thrive from diapers to diplomas. Founded in 1984, LAEP was the first educational-transformation organization in Los Angeles and among those at the forefront of the movement nationwide.
LAEP is currently seeking a Human Resources Manager who will be responsible for directing the planning, development, implementation, administration, and budgeting of the Human Resources for the organization. This role will encompass the following functional areas of HR: employee recruitment, employee relations, compensation/benefits, and organizational development. This new position is expected to develop and drive creative HR initiatives and activities, advise organization leadership in Human Resource policy and program matters.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Overseeing and managing the Human Resource function of a growing organization; planning, organizing, and controlling all activities of the department
- Developing and administering various human resources plans and procedures for all company personnel; participating in developing department goals, objectives, and systems
- Implementing and annually updating compensation programs; conducting annual salary surveys and developing merit pool (salary budget), analyzing compensation, and monitoring performance evaluation program and revising as necessary
- Developing, recommending, and implementing personnel policies and procedures, preparing and maintaining Employee Handbook
- Performing benefit administration to include WC claims resolution, invoice approval, and annual re-evaluation of policies for cost effectiveness.
- Developing and maintaining affirmative action program: filing EEO-1 annually, maintaining other records, reports, and logs to conform to EEO regulations
- Developing and implementing strategic recruitment plan; ensuring selection of qualified personnel
- Establishing and maintaining department records and reports; recommending new approaches, policies, and procedures to effect continuous improvement in efficiency of department and services performed
- Participating in administrative staff meetings; attending other meetings with business partners as required to fulfill HR duties.
- Performing other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree in business or related field preferred
- A minimum of 5 years related HR experience, at least 5 of these years in a management role
- Must have non-profit experience
- Broad generalist background including coaching and counseling, performance management, employee involvement, teambuilding, as well as compensation and benefits
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Thorough knowledge of HR principles and federal/local regulations
- Experience in implementing and administering performance programs, preferably in a company that put strong emphasis on performance metrics
- Must have demonstrated success in recruiting and retaining diverse employee talent, including creating and implementing recruitment and retention strategies
- Exceptional project and personnel management skills
- Excellent ability to multi-task and prioritize in a busy, fast-growth environment
- Proficiency in MS Word, Excel and Power Point is essential
- Exhibit extraordinary discretion, flexibility, and willingness to work closely with our senior management team
Physical Demands and Work Environment
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform these functions.
While performing the duties of this position, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to use hands or fingers, handle or feel objects, tools, or controls. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; sit; and reach with hands and arms. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this position include close vision, distance vision, and the ability to adjust focus. The noise level in the work environment is usually low to moderate.
Licensing and Certification Requirements
- Daily driving could be required, must provide own vehicle, valid Driver's License and proof of full vehicle insurance coverage
- Negative tuberculosis screen (required)
- Must pass criminal background check
Benefits & Wages
- Medical, dental and vision
- Retirement plan (employer contribution after a year working for LAEP)
- Paid Time Off (PTO) and 7 holidays plus the week of Christmas and New Year’s (generally Christmas Day and New Year Day plus approximately eight workdays)
- Salary Depending on Experience (DOE), $70,000- $75,000 range
FLSA & Employment Status
- Exempt/Full-Time, 40 hours/week