The Alliance for Community Transit - Los Angeles (ACT-LA) is a broad coalition of 38 organizations that fight for housing and transit justice in Los Angeles County.
The coalition’s new Senior Advocacy Manager will join a small, high capacity team. A successful Manager has strong leadership and project management abilities, excellent coalition management skills, and a proven track record of winning concrete policy change with and for communities of color and low-income communities.
The Manager will join the team during an intense period, as our coalition is leading advocacy efforts around solutions at the city, county and state-level regarding a myriad of pandemic-related economic hardships and is also leading a grassroots organizing effort related to transit justice in LA County. The coalition is also engaged in long-term policy work related to land use planning and the ongoing housing crisis. The ability to multitask, delegate, lead strategic and campaign planning for groups, and inspire others towards action are critical components to success.
The following are core responsibilities of the position:
- Serve as a primary point person for ACT-LA’s advocacy activities at LA City Council, LA County Board of Supervisors, LA Metro, CA legislature, and beyond
- Build and coordinate campaign teams around focused policy campaigns
- Lead campaign efforts, including outreach to and education of elected officials and their staff as well as relevant agency staff
- Track policy proposals in the legislative process and organize advocacy response among coalition members and partners
- Working with coalition partners, organizing staff, community leaders and movement lawyers, craft policy solutions and trouble-shoot policy issues throughout advocacy process
- Working with Communications Manager, draft advocacy letters and action alerts, blog posts, and other external messaging and advocacy material
- Staff and help coordinate other coalitions we help anchor or participate in, such as Healthy LA, and serve as primary point person for state-wide coalitions regarding housing and transit justice
- Lead campaign planning processes among coalition members and partners
- Provide information and solicit input and feedback regarding overall campaign activities to community organizing staff and affiliated community residents
- Coordinate with state, regional and local housing/mobility justice coalitions
- Represent ACT-LA on panels, at community meetings, and at relevant events
- Respond to media requests
The ideal candidate has the following qualifications:
- For Senior Advocacy Manager, at least 6 years of experience working on social justice campaigns, with at least 3 years in leadership positions.
- Experience running advocacy campaigns in LA County and a proven track record of thinking strategically and building strong relationships across organizations, with elected officials and with community members
- Familiarity with California and/or Los Angeles County and City legislative landscape
- Deep, demonstrated commitment to racial justice
- Positive, solution-oriented attitude
- Experience developing policy proposals based on community priorities
- Experience successfully managing coalition work and building alignment among organizations
- Success at managing multiple priority projects at the same time
- Experience working with grassroots organizers and following the lead of community leaders
- Background in housing, labor and/or transportation issues
- Excellent writing skills
- Ability to work some evening/weekend hours is expected
- The salary range for the Senior Advocacy Manager is $65,000-80,000.
- Medical, dental and vision insurance fully covered, a 403b retirement plan, paid holidays, vacation and sick time.
- This position is based in our South Central LA office, but will be working from home during the Covid-19 pandemic.