Service Employees International Union-United Healthcare Workers West (SEIU-UHW) is one of the largest unions of hospital workers in the western United States, with more than 100,000 members.Our members are frontline caregivers, including respiratory care practitioners, dietary, environmental services and nursing staff who keep Californians healthy.
We live and work throughout California: from the Bay Area to Sacramento and Los Angeles to the Central Valley.Our union of healthcare workers is driven to improve the healthcare system. Our mission is to provide quality care for all patients, expand access to excellent, affordable healthcare for all Californians and improve living standards for all workers.The majority of SEIU-UHW members work in the state's largest private sector health systems' hospitals and clinics, including Kaiser Permanente, Dignity Health, Sutter Health, Tenet, Prime and Daughters of Charity.
The Regional Political Organizer reports to the Political Director, and is responsible for a broad range of program objectives to build and strengthen our infrastructure and engage our members to be a powerful force at their worksites, in the legislative process, in the community and at the ballot box.
Areas of Responsibility
- Provide support to representational staff for the recruitment, training, leadership development and coordination of member political activists for political fundraising, electoral campaigns, issue campaign and legislative meetings and other union activities
- Track and support increased member participation using various database functions
- Work with multiple levels of staff and members to develop goals and execute plans for members participation in candidate interviews, lobby days, town hall meetings, elected official accountability activities, voter registration drives, vote-by-mail and GOTV activities.
- Provide staff support to our Committee On Political Education (COPE), present at Stewards Councils and member meetings, schedule PAC meetings, train and mentor staff, COPE chairs and member activists to help them achieve political goals.
- Work with staff and members to integrate political strategy into planning for contract and organizing campaigns.
- Prepare and/or support the creation of member education materials;
- Plan and manage multiple campaigns and projects simultaneously in a high-pressure environment requiring rapid adjustment to changing priorities and strategies;
- Represent SEIU-UHW interests in Central Labor Councils, constituency groups, and community organizations, in their region.
- Empower the membership to build effective advocacy relationships with elected officials, community partners, and other stakeholders; and,
- Other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
- Superior oral and written communication skills;
- Minimum of three years legislative, political organizing, or campaign experience with a labor union, state or local agency or association, non-profit community organization or progressive elected official;
- Ability to travel and willing to work long hours and weekends, as needed;
- Outstanding interpersonal skills with a demonstrated ability to motivate, lead, build strong working relationships and hold others accountable;
- Demonstrated ability to contribute to creating a positive work environment that encourages personal responsibility, initiative and innovation;
- Self-motivated, great attitude and strong team player;
- Strong sense of professionalism and integrity;
- Proven ability to work with diverse group of people, from union members to union staff and leaders to elected officials to other community and issue stakeholders;
- Thorough knowledge of MS Office programs;
- Previous experience in speech writing, media work, and other communication/public relations fields is highly desirable; and,
- Fluency in a second language is desirable.