Work with Community Healing Gardens on our mission to transform communities through growing healthy food for all!
Community Healing Gardens (CHG) is at the forefront of the movement to bring healthy food to all while accelerating climate resilience. As a Los Angeles based non-profit, we currently focus on transforming disadvantaged communities in Watts and Venice. The Watts Healing Tech Garden (WHTG), our first 2-acre farm located on the backside of Markham Middle School, and Little Green Acres Garden, to provide healthy food, a safe place and accelerates climate resilience for the school and community.
How you will make a difference
This is a great opportunity to work with the Community Healing Garden at the Watts Healing Tech Garden and Little Green Acres to grow our gardens, education and produce for the local community.
Compost Manager Duties
- Compost: This role manages the operations of the compost and soil production, operations activities and storage. This position also works with the Farm Director to prepare schedules and quality control, compliance and reporting.
- Basic Gardening: Plants, transplants, waters, prunes, and weeds beds and plant areas. Maintains flowers, bushes, trees, and shrubs. Plants and propagates bedding plants. Watering and irrigation adjustments. Soil mixing and moving.
- Customer Service: Positive interaction with the community including individuals, businesses, and chefs.
- Workplace Safety: Ensures proper care in the use and maintenance of equipment and supplies; promotes continuous improvement of workplace safety.
- Physical Fit: Job requires standing, walking, bending, squatting and lifting frequently. Occasionally will have to lift up to 50 pounds.
- An energetic, positive, and passionate attitude for gardening
- Compost and/or gardening experience preferred (1-3 years preferred)
- A passion for sustainability in regenerative agriculture, water recycling/saving, composting, growing food, yard maintenance.
- Understanding and/or passion to learn the science of composting and soil production and usage
- General knowledge of agricultural equipment operation or a strong aptitude for operating equipment
- Excellent organizational skills and oral/written communication
- High degree of initiative, able to perform job duties independently
- Strong customer service skills and management skills with staff, youth, interns and volunteersTime management skills: dependable and punctual
- Class A driver’s license a plus (not required)
- High school diploma required
Location, Schedule, Salary
- Watts based position: We are only able to consider applicants who are U.S. Citizens based in South Los Angeles (must possess a United States Worker Visa)
- Part-Time Schedule: 15-20 hours/week, 3-4 days/week (morning shift) and some Saturdays
- Salary: $20 - $25 per hour (based on experience)
Working Conditions and Physical Effort
- Work involves almost constant exposure to unusual elements, such as extreme temperatures, chemicals, dirt, dust, fumes, smoke, and/or loud noises.
- Extensive physical activity. Requires strenuous physical work; heavy lifting, pushing or pulling required of objects over 50 pounds.
- Work environment involves some exposure to physical risks, which require following basic safety and COVID19 safety precautions.
- Community Healing Gardens provides all training required by OSHA to ensure employee safety.
Community Healing Gardens is an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Additionally, We're looking for good people: good at work and with a good heart 💛