Position Title: Executive Director
Reports to: Board of Directors
Location: Greater Los Angeles Area
Announcement Date: 6/18/20, open until filled
Status: Full-time, exempt
Levitt Pavilion Los Angeles (Levitt LA) is part of a national network of outdoor music venues—our mission is building community and celebrating the diversity of our city through the power of free, live music. As Levitt LA is all about bringing people together of all ages and backgrounds, we suspended our 2020 summer concert season for the safety and well-being of our community in response to the Coronoavirus pandemic. As we look to the future, it is now time to prepare for our 2021 season, building upon the impact of the organization’s past programming in partnership with the community.
We are seeking an experienced, high-performing Executive Director for Levitt LA, located in MacArthur Park 10 blocks west of downtown. Since 2007, over 650,000 people have gathered to enjoy the free summer concerts, cultural celebrations and family-friendly atmosphere offered at the Levitt Pavilion.
The Executive Director provides leadership and is responsible for the overall operations of the organization, as well as overseeing all aspects of onsite management of the performance space. This position takes the lead role in the overall operational, financial and administrative management. This includes comprehensive fundraising, including cultivating and stewarding individual donors, identifying and writing grants, soliciting and securing sponsorships, and producing benefit events.
The scope of responsibility also includes direct support to the Board of Directors and Board committees; strategy and oversight of bilingual (English/Spanish) marketing/communications, community relations and outreach, audience development, and curation of the summer series of 50 free concerts; developing strategic partnerships; and monitoring organization performance and impact.
The Executive Director will serve as the public face of the organization, clearly articulating its mission, programs and impact to increase visibility of Levitt LA and enhance the organization's community reputation and standing amongst the city’s cultural offerings.
Safe, inclusive public spaces that reflect our community will be imperative to the well-being of all Angelinos as we embrace the challenges posed by these unprecedented times. We believe that the next Executive Director of Levitt Los Angeles will play an integral part in defining the organization’s role in our great city as we celebrate our collective resiliency and shared humanity through the power of free, live music.
- Provide support to and work closely with the Board of Directors to ensure strong fiscal health, identify and secure contributions, sustain positive government and community relations, increase overall organization visibility, and advance the mission
- In collaboration with the Board of Directors and staff, develop and implement a strategic plan to guide the organization
- Work closely with Board committees to develop and implement organization policies, goals and objectives
- Work closely with Board members to identify new Board and committee members whose talents, expertise and experience will further our mission and support for the organization
- Cultivate and maintain relationships with the City, elected officials and community stakeholders to deepen impact and advance the mission of the organization
- Develop and execute an annual fundraising plan to assure the organization’s funding base is diverse and robust, including sponsorships, foundation and government grants, individual donors, and fundraisers
- Develop and maintain systems of prospect management and research
- Manage and ensure that all funder expectations are met and delivered in a timely manner
- Hire and supervise salaried and hourly employees, and perform human resources responsibilities in managing staff, seasonal employee onboarding, personnel policies, annual reviews and employee benefits
- Establish a positive and healthy working environment in accordance with all local, state and federal laws and regulations
Financial Planning, Operations Management & Program Oversight
- Develop and manage an annual operating budget of approx. $900,000 as approved by the Board of Directors and according to the organization’s financial policies and processes
- Manage all daily activities of the organization, including financial transactions and accounting; ensure accurate reporting of finances and activities; ensure operations align with organization policies
- Coordinate with City departments regarding venue maintenance, site improvements and necessary City resources
- Oversee and ensure the annual series of events is produced at the highest professional standards, is reflective of the community, and meets national programming guidelines
- Oversee and ensure collaborative, productive and respectful relationships with Community Advisory Council members, key stakeholders, community partners, and other related constituent groups
- Oversee and ensure a strategy and effective implementation of bilingual (English/Spanish) communications, including marketing, public relations, social media and grassroots outreach; assist with public relations efforts
- Identify, assess, and inform the Board of Directors of internal and external issues that affect or have the potential to affect the organization; develop strategies and implement plans to address any such issues.
- Conduct all actions necessary to maintain our 501(c)(3) status and ensure compliance with all local, state and federal regulations regarding our nonprofit status and charitable solicitation registrations
- Bilingual Spanish and English, preferred but not required
- Minimum 7 years nonprofit management experience, performing arts preferred
- Minimum 5 years development experience with demonstrated success in securing sponsorships, individual donations and grants, as well as producing benefit events
- Previous experience working closely with a Board of Directors
- Strong leadership qualities, superb interpersonal skills, and willingness to work hands-on in executing Levitt LA’s strategies
- Self-motivated with a high degree of initiative and entrepreneurial spirit
- Exceptional budgeting and fiscal management skills
- Previous experience with marketing and public relations
- Excellent public speaking and written communication skills
- Outgoing, approachable and effective relationship-builder
- Innovative and strategic thinker with strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Strong ability to cultivate the creative ideas of others, connect ideas and project potential outcomes
- Superior skills in organization and staff management, setting KPIs and meeting goals
- Familiarity with Microsoft Office products, Mac operating system, and Google Drive
- Familiarity with the histories and cultures of LA’s diverse communities
- Willingness to work flexible hours, including nights and weekends, especially during concert season
- Ability to commit to being on site at the concerts throughout the series, Thursday through Sunday evenings from beginning June through beginning September, including pre-concert set-up and post-concert breakdown (beginning 2021)
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience required
- Valid driver’s license and current insurance required, with access to automobile to use during working hours; mileage and parking will be reimbursed by organization on a monthly basis