Under the supervision and direction of the Director, Impact Advocacy and in collaboration with the Impact Initiatives and Housing & Homelessness Initiatives teams, the Senior Manager, Impact Advocacy, will be responsible for strategy development and in the context of the United Way of Greater Los Angeles’ efforts to create more supportive and affordable housing as well as our work to end homelessness.
The Senior Manager, Impact Advocacy will have the opportunity to develop integrated advocacy strategies which leverage both internal expertise and relationships as well as external partners and communications channels. A critical component of this role is building alignment among key stakeholders in our multi-sector network: philanthropic partners, homeless service providers, public agencies, housing advocates, and business leaders.
We invite candidates to join with our dynamic, innovative team of implementers. The work environment is fast-paced and energized, focused on continuous learning and improvement. The ideal candidate will demonstrate a deep passion for ending homelessness, possess a strong work-ethic, enjoy dynamic problem-solving, operate with a mission-first mindset team, and exhibit a track record of cultivating meaningful and productive relationships with diverse partners.
- In partnership with the Director, Impact Advocacy and in collaboration with the Impact Initiatives and Housing & Homelessness Initiatives teams, assist with development and implementation of an impact advocacy and engagement strategy for the Everyone In campaign’s key stakeholders as well as other advocacy initiatives as they may arise.
- Provide internal leadership on a day to day basis for the Coordinator, Impact Advocacy as well as external consultants, as needed.
- Develop, maintain, and facilitate necessary positive relationships with staff at leading service providers, philanthropic agencies, advocacy organizations, elected official and public agency staff, and business leaders.
- Work in close coordination with communications, community organizing, and policy teams to build alignment across strategies for maximum impact.
- Coordinate the creation of new forms and forums for providers to offer solutions and identify challenges for policy action and advocacy. Facilitate and coordinate opportunities and events for partners to engage and interact with each other.
- Support the Director and colleagues in the development and tracking of key performance indicators and metrics that insightfully analyze the ongoing advocacy work.
- Support the Director and colleagues in ongoing advocacy campaign budget tracking and management.
- Serve as key connection to Home For Good provider relationships, working with the United Way Housing & Homelessness as well as Engagement Teams to identify and connect with leading providers as necessary, ensuring alignment with mission focus.
- Support implementation of the Community Impact Team’s annual goals and the organization’s strategic plan. Participate in cross-departmental and organizational planning and volunteer efforts as needed.
- Work collaboratively with Development and Marketing & Communications departments to articulate the value of our mission work and support the development of meaningful engagement opportunities for donors, public.
- Other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
- Minimum 6 years’ experience in advocacy, policy change, community organizing, political campaigning, or digital communications; Minimum 3 years’ experience supervising direct reports
- Bachelor’s degree strongly preferred; Master’s degree a plus
- Demonstrated work experience and background in homeless services/policy, strategic coalition building and organizing, public/external affairs, or community engagement work.\
- Nuanced understanding of digital communications and campaign strategies and tactics.
- Working knowledge of the root causes of and solutions to homelessness preferred
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to build relationships with diverse stakeholders, including United Way team members, board members, external partners, and donors
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively with all organizational levels within a diverse environment
- Must be able to exercise initiative, independent good judgment, flexibility, discretion, and solid decision making
- Must be able to utilize creative strategies to engage stakeholders and maintain effective working relationship with key stakeholders
- Should possess strong written, and verbal communication skills, as well as the ability to persuade small and large groups alike
- Must be able to successfully manage multiple priorities, meet deadlines, adjust to changing circumstances, and demonstrate confidence working with diverse stakeholders, including nonprofit, public sector, corporate, faith-based, and philanthropic stakeholders
- Excellent prioritization, project management, and critical thinking skills with a strong sense of focus, organization, follow up, and attention to detail
- Proactive and self-motivated to execute on responsibilities
- Positive, can-do attitude with ability to hit the ground running
- Must thrive under pressure and be able to accept constructive feedback
- Willing to work flexible hours as needed to support department priorities and events
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office (Word, Outlook, and PowerPoint) is essential; experience using Adobe Creative Cloud, Microsoft CRM, or comparable programs is a plus
YEAR ONE SUCCESS LOOKS LIKE:
- Developing a comprehensive written advocacy strategic plan including a broad strategic analysis for all housing and homelessness work
- Developing internal procedures, processes, and metrics for tracking key policy goals
- Working with the Impact Advocacy Coordinator to re-imagine our existing externally facing advocacy channels for maximum impact with a focus on sector specific strategy development
United we fight. United we win.
Your passion fuels solutions that improve lives and lift up communities. More than anyone else, you know what’s possible; you’ve seen it in the faces of the people whose lives you have forever changed. Sometimes you feel like one person standing alone against big challenges, but there are those who share your vision for the future, and are ready to fight alongside you.
When you work with United Way, you join a team dedicated to creating a better life and a stronger community—for everyone. This is your chance to contribute your personal passions, best ideas and unique strengths to innovative work that leaves a lasting mark on people’s lives in your own community.
Are you ready to join the fight?