Advancement Project California is seeking an 18-month temporary Research & Data Analyst. The ideal candidate should have at least two years of professional experience researching key social and racial justice issues. They will report to the Director of Research & Data Analysis and are responsible for conducting research for organizational, community-based, government, and philanthropic initiatives.
The successful candidate must have a strong, demonstrated commitment to social and racial justice, documented skills in conducting quantitative and qualitative analyses, and be comfortable working with community partners in a fast-paced and changing policy landscape. A strong attention to detail, and the ability to multi-task, prioritize, and meet deadlines are required. We handle large volumes of data for many projects at once; the ability to learn new research methods, software, and programming languages independently is crucial.
Specific Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Coordinate with staff and external partners to design the most effective research and data analysis to move policy for more equitable outcomes.
- Conduct research and data analysis for Advancement Project California and strategic partner initiatives.
- Communicate findings – through written reports, data visualizations, and presentations – so they are clear and impactful for policymakers and the lay person alike.
- Participate in organization-wide planning, development, and communication activities.
- Other duties as assigned, dependent on organizational needs and employee skills.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential job function assigned satisfactorily. The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Sincere and demonstrated commitment to advancing social and/or racial justice for low income communities of color.
- Two years experience collecting and analyzing data, generating data visualizations and findings, and creating research products, including as part of community-based research.
- Bachelor’s degree in related field preferred or equivalent combination of education and experience to successfully perform essential job duties.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills and competency in statistics. Experience with databases and querying languages, especially PostgreSQL and SQL, and using R or other coding languages to analyze quantitative data highly desired.
- Experience with geographic information systems, including map production using good cartographic design. Experience doing spatial analysis in R or PostGIS highly desired.
- Strong communication skills in written and verbal English. Strong communication skills in written and verbal Spanish highly desired.
- A high degree of diplomacy, professionalism, sensitivity, and respect for the confidentiality of certain data and projects are required.
- Proven ability to work with diverse communities, leaders, and staff. A strong attention to detail.
- Ability to take on responsibilities independently with only general supervision.
- Ability to multi-task under deadlines and work well under pressure.
- Excellent computer skills and proficiency with MS Office applications.
- Must be able to travel locally and statewide.
- $55-$65k depending on experience. Includes full health, dental, vision, and retirement benefits.