Launched in 2007, the Partnership is a nonprofit organization that serves 13,500 students across 18 campuses in Watts, Boyle Heights and South Los Angeles, California. The Partnership is one of the largest, in-district public school transformation organizations in the U.S., and is not a charter organization. Our priorities are supporting great school leadership, developing highly effective teaching, and engaging families and community partners. Over the past decade, our high schools have seen their graduation rate more than double from 36% to 80% and college acceptances have risen by 17 percentage points in the last four years from 32% in 2015 to 49% in 2019. Suspension rates across the network are at less than 1%, compared with 21% when we started our work. Learn more about us at https://partnershipla.org/.
The Partnership for Los Angeles Schools is seeking an Academic Programs Associate, who will serve as an administrative support for the Partnership’s 30+ person Academics Team. This team spends the majority of its time with teachers and school leaders and is set up for success with the support of a highly organized and proactive Associate. The Associate’s core duties include a blend of providing project management and logistics support for team events including large and small group professional development, developing plans for and executing key projects, communicating with school staff, managing purchasing and vendor relationships, and tracking team budgets. This individual will serve as a key member of the Partnership staff and have a significant impact on the team’s capacity to meet its ambitious goals.
Given the current and fluctuating public health response to the COVID-19 crisis, and the impact that it is having on the normal function of schools, the work of the Associate of Academic Programs will adjust accordingly, and may involve working remotely and/or at school sites and the office.
The Partnership is also committed to continuously building an anti-racist culture that promotes Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, and Belonging in classrooms and in our home office. The Associate of Academic Programs will be someone who is excited to keep these values in mind when executing day-to-day tasks and responsibilities.
The Academic Programs Associate’s key responsibilities include the following and may be adjusted based on Academic Team needs:
- Support Academics Team members by providing logistics support and any supporting materials for all scheduled meetings, professional development seminars, and events
- Logistics support includes comprehensive supports, such as management of catering, materials and supplies, coordination with vendors, reserving space, transport of materials to event locations as needed, volunteer coordination and training, printing, folder organization, event setup, managing communications with event facilitators and participants, and facilitating Academics Team meetings in preparation for events.
- Work collaboratively with a broad range of stakeholders, including Partnership home office staff, school staff, LAUSD and other partners
- One aspect of this role involves participating in a range of possible organizational committees that require collaboration with colleagues across various teams. These groups might include (but not limited to): school staff appreciation committee, home office staff celebration committee, or all-staff meeting planning committee. The ideal candidate will be enthusiastic about the prospect of collaborating creatively across teams to contribute to the overall culture of the organization and larger network.
- Prepare Academics Team meeting materials as requested
- Manage communications with external audiences, including school site staff, district officials, fundraisers, and other important stakeholders, and consistently serving as a strong ambassador for the organization
- Coordinate with school site staff at the Partnership’s 18 schools, handling requests and questions and redirecting questions as needed
- Provide good stewardship of Academic Team budgets including managing purchasing, coding, invoices, teacher payments, and vendor coordination
- Administer and upkeep the Partnership home office’s knowledge management systems to ensure codification and archiving of our work
- Assisting in the development and execution of key project plans to ensure a high bar of excellence in all Academics Team events
- Other duties as assigned
The ideal candidate will have:
- Deep belief in the power of our communities, and respect and love for our families in Boyle Heights, South LA and Watts.
- Belief in the Partnership’s mission, approach, and core values and a commitment to improving academic achievement for Partnership students
- A commitment to fostering a diverse, equitable and inclusive work environment for all team members
- Humility and respect for the hard work of school leaders, teachers, parents, and students
- Reflective and a life-long learner
- Unmatched work ethic
- Highest level of integrity
- Clear focus on providing excellent customer service
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited university
- 1-3 years work experience (education organization or other professional setting preferred)
- Experience working in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment
- Exposure to public schools, school systems, or education support organizations strongly preferred (e.g. through work as a Teaching Assistant, City Year AmeriCorps member, school staff member or teacher)
- A valid California driver’s license
- Reliable access to a vehicle that can be regularly used throughout the work day as necessary
- Outstanding organizational skills, can manage many moving pieces at once
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Collaborative; works well with a diverse, talented team of educators and colleagues
- Ability to take direction and perform at a consistently high level
- Ability to manage competing demands and determine top priorities independently
- Ability to work under pressure and perform tasks with limited direction
- Great attention to detail; can provide high quality, error-free work at all times
- Proactive; takes initiative to move work forward
- Strong computer and technology skills; proficient in Microsoft Outlook, Word, PowerPoint, and Excel, as well as the suite of Google apps including Docs, Sheets, Forms, and Slides
- Interest and willingness to learn new skills and grow professionally
- Proficiency in Spanish preferred
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
The Partnership has recently completed a thorough study of market-competitive salaries, and has applied the learning from that study to salary offers for all home office positions. Our goal is to ensure that pay is fair for all staff members, both considering the market and considering pay equity among staff in similar roles in the organization. The Partnership offers a robust benefits package including employer-paid health, dental, and vision insurance and a 403(b) retirement program. This is a full time, year-round position.