Public voting in the the 2020 My LA2050 Grants Challenge has been postponed until Monday, July 13, 2020.
Check out the finalists!
The IT Project Manager is responsible for designing, building and supporting all IT related projects, applications and workflows to support operations. First 5 LA’s 2019-2023 Information Technology Strategic Plan identified IT Governance as one of the key initiatives to be designed and completed. Through the IT Governance initiative, First 5 LA is developing, implementing and institutionalizing an IT governance model and corresponding processes to provide guidance on the management of IT projects, support making timely IT decisions and defining the processes, rules, agreements and standards appropriate for the IT needs of the organization. The IT Project Manager is also responsible for the IT Governance processes for all IT related projects, including coordination of projects, building metrics around all areas of IT, providing recommendations to improve usage and performance, enhancing the IT strategic plan for analyzing both short- and long-term business needs of the organization and making appropriate recommendations.
The IT Project Manager will also ensure that projects managed will utilize governance frameworks, tools, processes and methodologies to ensure that projects deliver the expected benefits to time, quality and costs. Responsibilities will also include the creation and maintenance of all project documentation, project plans, risk assessment and management, tracking and prioritizing issue logs, reporting requirements to IT and business management and ensuring costs and benefits are also closely tracked.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
The IT Project Manager should visibly demonstrate the adopted organizational values of collaboration, integrity, learning and Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI) in the execution of their key areas of responsibility.
Key Areas of Responsibility:
- Project Portfolio Management, including but not limited to, project portfolio-level analytics including Key Performance Indicators (KPI) for overall health, scope, schedule, budget, resource utilization, risk exposure and changes to measure and monitor performance and ensure business objectives were met
- Works with IT Director to ensure all projects are strategically aligned with current and future IT Strategic Plans
- IT Governance (creation, implementation and maintenance)
- Drive continuous improvements aligned with best practices and the organization’s needs
- Assist the IT Director with the day-to-day activities of the IT department
- Gathers, analyzes and synthesizes stakeholder requirements; develops, initiates and maintains project plans ensuring that all the details are accurate and up to date; maintains all project documentation; reviews and evaluates project deliverables and timelines; maintains strong and effective communications with stakeholders throughout the entire process; delivers projects to agreed methodologies and standards
- Prepares project budgets, regular project status reports, and communicates to project stakeholders
- Actively engages all project stakeholders and maintains close and ongoing relationships with key stakeholders through the life of the projects ensuring effective project communication (including but not limited to project scope creep, budget creep, “red, yellow, green” status updates, etc.) within the projects and to all stakeholders
- Researches, develops, implements and maintains appropriate project management strategies
- Identifies system and contract compliance requirements and works with other departments to ensure availability of required resources
- Manages IT Governance support activities that include project review, risk management, prioritization, and resource allocation by directing staff to support departmental decision making and strategy execution
- Develops and maintains portfolio-level analytics including Key Performance Indicators (KPI) for overall health, scope, schedule, budget, resource utilization, risk exposure and changes to measure and monitor performance and ensure business objectives were met
- Coordinates training activities for the project team and oversees the development of training for customers of the new systems; facilitates team and user meetings
- Builds and maintains RAID’s logs (Risk, Assumptions, Issues and Dependencies) prioritizes and builds mitigation plan to minimize impact and escalates business critical issues in a timely manner
- Performs “after action review” to identify lessons learned on project closure and related learning factors into continuous improvement process
- Develops and implements a change management plan including cost controls to manage scope changes and cost increases or decreases associated with project scope
- Advises the IT Director and Governance Review Board on recommendations concerning system architecture, implementation strategies and plans.
- Develops the analysis phases of the implementation, collecting and documenting functional requirements, and understanding and possibly re-defining business process based on the capabilities of the platform
- Works with other IT team members for installation of hardware and software
- Develops and recommends technical solutions in software implementation services evaluation and selection
- Develops and documents user requirements, system specifications, RFQ, RFP, and evaluates the business effects of application software on the organization
- Provides the IT Director with assistance in the development and management of the IT department budget
- Supports the organization’s commitment to diversity and inclusion, and values a diversity of perspectives
- Adheres to policies and procedures to ensure alignment with State regulations, local ordinances and First 5 LA directives
- Keeps apprised of all laws, regulations, statutes, rules and policies affecting First 5 LA and Proposition 10
- Supervises contractors and consultants, as needed
- Collaborates both internally and with external stakeholders to capture, synthesize and share learning and knowledge outcomes from the ongoing execution of all activities as necessary
Other duties and responsibilities may be assigned. The duties and responsibilities listed are designed to provide typical examples of the work performed; not all duties and responsibilities assigned are included here, nor is it expected that all similar positions will be assigned every duty and responsibility.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Commitment to organizational mission and values: Mission-driven and self-directed, with a demonstrated passion for First 5 LA’s work to strengthen families and improve child outcomes; strives to model organizational values through daily actions and behaviors
- Possesses Customer-Focused Mindset: Is able to identify appropriate and relevant stakeholders; identifies internal and external stakeholders needs (customers); is responsive to stakeholder needs, considers impact when making recommendations
- Collaborative: Collaborates with peers to drive results in alignment with organizational and operational goals in support of the organization’s mission; is able to work in cross-functional teams; is able to establish and maintain effective working relationships with co-workers, public officials and the general public
- Communicates Effectively: Communicates effectively both written and oral; strong presentation skills; demonstrates ability to develop and deliver relevant and appropriate communications; delivers messages in a direct manner; able to tailor messages appropriately to various audiences
- Demonstrates Integrity and Judgment: Follows through on commitments letting others know of his/her true intentions; ensures decision-making or recommendations are fact-based and others understand the decision/recommendation before moving forward; considers the relative costs and benefits of potential actions to choose the most appropriate one
- Demonstrates Critical Thinking: Applies critical thinking, logic and reasoning to analyze complex problems and information; identifies relative strengths and weaknesses of options, solutions or approaches
- Demonstrates Strategic Thinking: Identifies key issues and relationships relevant to achieving long range goals or vision; develops alternatives based on logical assumptions, facts, available resources, constraints, and organizational values to develop a point of view on a course of action to accomplish goals; develops priorities with the right balance of short and long-term wins
Job Specific Competencies
- Role Specific Content: Detailed knowledge of project development, management, life cycle and IT governance; substantial knowledge of information technologies; demonstrated experience in business planning; detailed knowledge of application/software development life cycle; experience delivering web based applications and solutions, with ability to identify process and functional improvements and gather outline requirements is an advantage; detailed knowledge of database software; software programming; internet software; project management software; and Microsoft Office 365
- Content Knowledge: Competent in required job skills and knowledge; ability to learn and apply new skills; ability to learn how to operate new systems quickly; demonstrated ability to set priorities, establish clear expectations and execute identified projects; keeps abreast of current developments; requires minimal supervision; displays understanding of how job relates to others; knows how to use technology tools to effectively manage and expedite processes; uses resources effectively
- Planning and Organization and Project Management: Works in an organized manner with strong attention to detail; prioritizes and plans work activities; ability to effectively manage overlapping projects and deadlines; ability to work under pressure, meet deadlines and adjust to changing priorities; uses time efficiently; plans for additional resources; integrates changes smoothly; sets goals and objectives; ability to manage high performance projects; ability to maintain the confidential nature of all employees and company proprietary and privileged information used or observed in the course of performing job duties
- Managing Processes: Provides direction and gains compliance; uses negotiation skills to resolve conflict; strong influencing and relationship skills. Ability to manage complex technology projects
- Minimum of five years progressively responsible experience in a centralized Information Technology organization, performing IT Governance, Project Management, and resource management activities, with responsibility for a project portfolio preferred
- Project Management Institute (PMI) or Project Management Professional (PMP) Certification preferred
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in computer science, project management, business information systems, public administration or a related field preferred
- Microsoft SharePoint
- Proficiency in MS Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, Visio)
- Ability to use widely supported internet browsers
Certificates, Licenses and Registrations:
- PMP - Project Management Professional
- Project Management Institute (PMI)
- CAPM - Certified Associate in Project Management
- Valid California Class C Driver License or the ability to utilize an alternative method of transportation when needed to carry out job-related essential functions
- Valid automobile liability insurance
- This position requires travel locally, statewide and nationally as needed
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS / WORK ENVIRONMENT
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The employee will sit, talk, hear and use hands up to 2/3 of the time. The employee will stand and walk up to 1/3 of the time. The employee is routinely required to carry and/or lift up to 10 pounds.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.