As a member of the Development team, the Individual Giving & Foundation Relations Director will lead stewardship of current individual donors and foundations as well as identify and secure new funding to drive student impact through national service. Reporting to the Managing Director of Development, they along with their direct reports, the Individual Giving Manager and the Grants & Foundations Manager, are responsible for raising approximately $5-6M annually.
This person will be an effective relationship builder and storyteller who can bring our educational equity work to life through strong presentations, communication, and grant proposals that inspire investment of personal wealth and foundation funding. They will be a creative fundraiser passionate about social justice that leverages their networks, knowledge of LA foundations, existing City Year relationships, and targeted prospecting to build a robust pipeline of champions. They will develop tailored donor engagement that builds genuine connection advancing this important work including prioritize time and resources to ensure maximum return.
City Year values and continuously works to build an equitable and inclusive culture where diverse people feel they belong.
Donor Acquisition Strategy:
- Develop a strategic plan to identify a pipeline of prospective new individual donors with potential to make gifts of $10,000 or more, with a goal of securing $3.5M from existing and new individual donors.
- Prepare unique engagement strategies tailored to prospect’s interests and resources with a goal of increasing giving at all levels.
- Maintain an active pipeline of prospects including attending key events.
- Develop strategies to secure major gifts and multi-year investments.
- Prepare Executive Director and Managing Directors to make asks as necessary.
- Support Individual Giving manager with donor strategy to secure gifts $10k and below.
New Individual Donor Cultivation:
- Interact authentically with prospects at events to establish and deepen potential and current donor relationships.
- Cultivate and engage new individual prospects weekly.
- Manage and support fundraising volunteers to solicit gifts.
- Execute appeals as needed, including end of year giving, Charitybuzz auctions, and Giving Tuesday.
- Oversee Individual Giving manager in raising $500,000 from existing and new donors annually.
Ongoing Donor Engagement:
- Manage CYLA Associates Board with intentional engagement and partner with board members to expand our current network of supporters.
- Identify current donors with increased giving potential and execute tailored strategy to increase gifts.
- Develop new engagement opportunities and implement best practices for current and future donors.
- Successfully steward CYLA donor relationships, managing appropriate frequency of outreach, communication, appreciation and involvement.
- Leverage senior City Year staff, to deepen and solidify donor relationships.
- Work with local development team and City Year Headquarters to retain and increase alumni and alumni parent giving.
Grants & Foundation Relations:
- Oversee a portfolio of foundations to maintain $2M+ funding annually.
- Manage Grants and Foundations Manager Write strong grants that get funded 85% of the time.
- Working closely with the Managing Director of Development to identify, research, and set strategies for foundations that are prospects for CYLA’s initiatives.
- Apply knowledge of organizational initiatives to identify and target grant and foundation prospects.
- Support Grants and Foundations Manager to actively prospect new foundation funders with a goal of increasing funding by $250,000 within 18 months.
- Ensure reports and letters of intent are submitted in a timely manner to ensure ongoing funding.
- Create and refine systems to ensure timely recognition of donors, including execution of “Red Jacket Society” philanthropic giving program and benefits.
- Maintain accurate records and donor information in Salesforce donor database within 24-48 hours, tracking cultivation and stewardship activities and progress to goals.
- Ensure existing and new donors are added to mailing lists and campaigns.
- Regularly monitor progress and follow up to ensure timely collection of gifts.
- Work with the development team to leverage events to increase giving, such as City Year’s Spring Break fundraiser, service days (school beautification projects), and school visits for potential donors.
- Oversee the planning and creation of cultivation events as needed to fill pipeline.
- Represent City Year at corporate and community functions to establish and deepen potential and current donor relationships.
- Build and maintain strong relationships with direct reports by creating an environment of open and honest two-way communication.
- Provide both positive and constructive feedback and coaching to support professional development.
- Ensure the professional accountability through clear expectations, weekly check-ins, and formal performance reviews.
- 5 - 7 years of successful individual giving/major gift fundraising experience.
- Experience working with foundations, identifying prospects, and writing grant proposals.
- Proven track record building relationships with high net worth donors and maintaining productive relationships with key stakeholders.
- A least 1 year of management experience with strong track record of results.
- Able to work effectively under pressure, handle competing priorities and respond to short deadlines with a team and independently.
- Strong collaborator and individual contributor who can adapt their style to the circumstances.
- Experience planning and executing successful individual donor cultivation and retention events.
- Strong research skills – ability to identify and research individual donor prospects.
- Passion for and commitment to community service, national service and/or the development of young people as leaders
Additional Qualities Needed:
In order to succeed in this role, an applicant must have the following competencies:
- Relationship Development: Knowledge of high net worth communities via local business, civic, and cultural networks. Understanding and experience working with LA’s philanthropic community. Builds trust in critical partner relationships, both internal and external to achieve mutually beneficial outcomes and advances City Year’s mission.
- Manage to Results: Sets high expectations and holds self and team accountable for results. Ability manage time effectively and prioritize multiple projects with a positive can-do attitude. Flexibility to meet sudden and unpredictable partnership needs and willingness to work outside standard established business hours.
- Communication: Persuasive storyteller that conveys thoughts clearly and concisely. Communicates well verbally and in writing, tailoring communication for the audience and situation. Demonstrate personal presence and confidence when working with partners. Can connect tasks to the organizational mission to communicate effectively internally and externally.
- Strategic Thinking & Curiosity: Able to think conceptually and analytically. Able to identify the information needed to develop strategies and know when to elevate or seek guidance. Willing and eager to learn as well as able to identify key pieces of information.
Compensation and benefits
Full-time employees are entitled to compensation commensurate with experience. Benefits for full-time employees include health insurance with Flexible Spending Account, paid vacation, holidays, parental leave, 401K, and more.
City Year is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to a diverse workforce. Individuals from all
backgrounds are encouraged to apply, including persons with disabilities and veterans.