The 2020 My LA2050 Grants Challenge winners have been announced!
Check out the winners
Launched in 2007, the Partnership is a nonprofit organization that serves 13,500 students across 18 campuses in Watts, Boyle Heights and South Los Angeles, California. The Partnership is one of the largest, in-district public school transformation organizations in the U.S., and is not a charter organization. Our priorities are supporting great school leadership, developing highly effective teaching, and engaging families and community partners. Over the past decade, our high schools have seen their graduation rate more than double from 36% to 80% and college acceptances have risen by 17 percentage points in the last four years from 32% in 2015 to 49% in 2019. Suspension rates across the network are at less than 1%, compared with 21% when we started our work. Learn more about us at https://partnershipla.org/.
The AmeriCorps VISTA program provides the opportunity for corps members to make a tangible difference in the biggest challenges facing our nation, including lack of access to education. The Partnership for Los Angeles Schools is committed to providing all of our students with the preparation that they need to matriculate to the 4-year college of their choice and be successful upon arrival. In order to meet that vision, we understand that there must be a K-12 commitment to building a strong college-going culture. We are seeking corps members to serve as College Success Advisors at Partnership Middle Schools and High Schools in the Los Angeles Unified School District. Each advisor will support their assigned school(s) with college and career event planning, college readiness presentations, field trips, family engagement, and other related activities. Advisors will also help students navigate the transition from elementary to middle school and middle to high school to support them in transitioning to schools that also support this mission.
- Collaborate with the Coordinator of College-Going Culture, school leaders, counselors, and others to create and implement a college-going culture vision for the school
- Speak with students and families about the importance of college attendance and success, consistently and strongly representing a 4-year college for all goal
- Assist with the planning of a variety of college-going events on campus including field trips, presentations, fairs, and school tours
- Work with school personnel from neighboring elementary and high schools to create a smooth transition between campuses for students and parents
AmeriCorps VISTA Eligibility Requirements:
- Be 18 years or older (no upper age limit)
- Pass a national service criminal history check
- Hold one of the following citizenship or legal residency statuses: US citizen, US National, Lawful Permanent Resident (i.e. Green Card status), and persons legally residing within a state. Examples of persons legally residing within a state may include those holding the following classifications: refugee, asylee, temporary protected status throughout VISTA service, and holding Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) status.
Partnership for Los Angeles Schools Requirements:
- An earned bachelor’s degree
- Ability to travel between our home office (in downtown Los Angeles) and our network schools in South Los Angeles, Boyle Heights, and Watts (must possess a valid Driver’s License)
- Spanish fluency a plus
- Experience working in college access and/or in schools a plus
Compensation and Benefits
This is a full time position beginning in July, 2019 and continuing for 12 months. This is an AmeriCorps VISTA position and compensation will be a living allowance of $697.20 bi-weekly. AmeriCorps VISTAs are also entitled to an End of Service Award (education award or cash stipend), a healthcare allowance, a childcare benefit, relocation travel assistance, and/or a reduction in student loan debt.
Please prepare your resume and a cover letter tailored to this position. Submit your documents using our online application system: https://theapplicantmanager.com/jobs?pos=p6254&fs=1.0em
For technical assistance or questions, please email [email protected]tnershipla.org