The 2020 My LA2050 Grants Challenge winners have been announced!
Check out the winners
TITLE: Deputy Executive Director
REPORTS TO: Executive Director
SALARY: $120,000 to 140,000
A Place Called Home provides a safe, nurturing environment with proven programs in arts, education and wellness for the young people in South Central Los Angeles to help them improve their economic conditions and develop healthy, fulfilling and purposeful lives.
A Place Called Home is a dynamic, non-profit youth and community center located in South Central Los Angeles, serving 1,000 youth, aged 8 to mid-20s, and their families each year, plus 10,000 community members through events and distributions. APCH provides educational programs, counseling, mentoring, music, dance, art, nutrition and agriculture, recreation and athletics. We have a robust college preparation and scholarship program that has sent more than 430 young people from South Central to college. In 2017 we started our Professional Readiness & Employment Program to support young people in preparing for and securing meaningful, good paying jobs. APCH’s annual budget is $6.7M cash + $1.5M in-kind, and APCH has a staff of 80 talented and committed individuals.
A Place Called Home is expanding at a steady pace and there are exciting plans and opportunities ahead. The NEW position of Deputy Executive Director will provide strong leadership for APCH’s program and operations staff and the organization’s daily work and advancement according to plan. The addition of this position will facilitate our Executive Director’s pivot to focus more on the long term evolution of the organization.
Are you interested in working and contributing someplace where your colleagues are friendly, respectful and supportive? Where every day you learn something new, contribute to the workplace culture, and develop yourself personally and professionally? Are you curious about what can be accomplished when colleagues share core values and work together toward common goals? Are you passionate about social justice and balancing inequities in the world? Do you like the idea of making a difference in the lives of hundreds of young people every day? Do you love to work hard, strive to improve your performance every day, and have fun while you’re at it? Do you bring and expect integrity, humanity and meaning in your work? Please read on to see what this important position will accomplish at A Place Called Home.
The Deputy Executive Director oversees and manages the internal day-to-day operations and agency-wide systems, while partnering with others on the Executive Management Team (EMT) on executing strategic organizational plans and goals.
Reporting to the Executive Director (ED), the Deputy Executive Director will oversee the Operations Department and will partner closely with the ED on overseeing the Finance, Programs, and Counseling Departments. *Dependent on the strengths of the hired candidate, the goal is to fully transition the supervisory responsibilities for Finance, Programs, and Counseling to the Deputy Executive Director over a period of approximately one year.
The Deputy Executive Director will have both internal and external facing responsibilities, ranging from project management, business development, framing of key approaches, delivery of written products; to strategic direction, administration and reporting for the departments that he/she oversees. Particular areas of concentration in the initial period will be strengthening the organization’s capacities in Finance and Human Resources management.
This position is responsible for creating, implementing, and maintaining efficient and effective systems that meet applicable guidelines of regulating agencies (i.e. GAAP, EEOC, OSHA, etc.).
In addition, the Deputy Executive Director will develop and maintain knowledgeable and productive partnerships with APCH Board and Development Leadership, our Charter School Partner, Community Partners and Representatives, and Key Vendors.
Essential duties and responsibilities:
The Deputy Executive Director will provide leadership for the day-to-day internal operations through the following responsibilities:
• Successfully and efficiently operationalize the APCH vision and mission in partnership with the ED to implement processes for successful achievement of goals as laid out in organizational strategic plan
• Provide a strong leadership presence with active day-to-day involvement in policy and administration for all programs and services; maintaining a deep and broad knowledge of all programs; bridging operations and support, providing an open-door policy among all staff
• Develop thought leadership around specific topics/emerging practice areas
• Identify and leverage opportunities for APCH to develop cross-program strengths to take advantage of new opportunities and address barriers to organizational excellence and growth
• Identify best sector practices and improve internal systems within the realities of annual goals, budget, and future planning
• Affirm, articulate and maintain the core values of APCH through execution of its mission and investment in a healthy, innovative and thriving workplace ecosystem
• Monitor APCH Culture and feedback loops and report to/work with EMT to facilitate timely response through bolstering strengths, acknowledging and addressing weaknesses, and implementing improvements
• Work with ED and EMT to support and agendize Executive Management Team meetings
• Serve on applicable board committees (i.e. Real Estate, Finance & Audit, etc.)
• Supervise the Director of Operations and their purview: Facilities, Technology, Transportation, Human Resources, Safety & Security
• Identify skill-build, professionalize and career-path (done in conjunction with HR) of our best in-class talent
• Collaborate with the Director of Operations and Associate Director of Human Resources to lead performance management processes, measuring, evaluating and reporting on progress against organizational goals.
• Provide oversight and direction to Director of Operations and Associate Director of Human Resources to ensure compliance with governing laws and agencies, develop regular professional development and management training, foster healthy employee relations, support and ensure fair performance evaluation processes, implement effective selection and hiring processes, and support staff professional and personal growth with a special focus on retaining top talent and developing employees for long term roles and tenure at APCH
• Serve as an objective investigator for any and all claims of harassment or unethical practices within the agency. Review findings and present recommendations to Executive Director and Board of Directors as needed
• Oversee Director of Operations to manage physical campus maintenance and improvements to ensure compliance with building and safety regulations and efficiency and excellence for fulfillment of program goals
• Provide oversight and leadership for the Finance Department. Work together with ED, EMT and Program and Finance staff to prepare and submit an annual organizational budget, provide diligent fiscal oversight to operate effectively within approved budget, and report regularly and accurately on financial progress/challenges/projections. Review and approve preparation and dissemination of monthly financial reports and metrics for the Executive Director, Director of Operations, Directors of Development, Program Directors, and Board of Directors. Oversee financial forecasting and cash flow for administration, existing programs, and proposed expansions/additions. Provide oversight and leadership for annual audits (financial, worker’s compensation, payroll, etc.).
Programs and Counseling*(see asterisk in Summary section above)
• Support and oversee the Senior Director of Programs, with guidance and input from the ED, to ensure that APCH Programs are running smoothly and effectively
• Support and oversee the Director of Counseling, with input and guidance from the ED, to ensure that the APCH Counseling Department is running smoothly, effectively and in compliance with the laws of California and best practices
• Work with the Development Department and Programs to support data collection at APCH to ensure our approach is provable, reliable, and efficient
• Ensure alignment between development and operational budgets/expectations
• Represent APCH in industry-group conferences, professional associations, and other public venues
• APCH is currently planning for a major campus expansion, and the Deputy Executive Director will partner with the ED to oversee infrastructure growth and program capacity expansion. While the Deputy Executive Director will not have primary responsibility for the construction-related or fundraising activities, as a key leader of the organization the Deputy Executive Director will be significantly involved in all aspects of the organizational expansion.
To perform this important job successfully, the Deputy Executive Director must be able to fulfill all of the elements of the Job Description to the highest standard, and be able to work well with colleagues in a high energy, collaborative environment with open communications. The ideal candidate will embrace the APCH culture of a learning organization and strive to constantly improve upon systems and services for the benefit of employees and our constituents; and will be demonstrably committed to their own ongoing personal and professional development.
The successful candidate must believe in the core values and mission of APCH. We are seeking a seasoned candidate who has experience translating organizational vision into on-the-ground reality – including best-in-class delivery of services, strong workplace culture, fiscal and operational management and talent management, and can “hit the ground running.” The ideal candidate will have a respected track record in strategically leading and building the capabilities of a multi-service agency with a driven and diverse team to provide impeccable administrative execution and leadership for mission fulfillment.
Technical and Performance Skills
• Excellent organizational management skills with ability to command respect, earn trust, and coach senior-level staff to manage and develop high performance teams and implement strategies and solutions
• Proven track record delivering superior results and assuming servant-leadership role in multiple contexts
• Proven ability to work with efficiency, flexibility, and good humor
• Transparent, direct, with substance, spark, imagination and creativity
• Self-starter, self-disciplined
• Demonstrated success in execution of multiple high level strategic and operational tasks while responding to short and long term organizational priorities
• Proven ability to establish and maintain professional and productive relationships with a wide array of people – junior and senior, from diverse backgrounds
• Excellent project management skills
• Commitment and ease with diversity and work in multicultural populations
• Analytic and decisive decision maker with ability to report conditions to ED along with clear recommendations, and to prioritize and communicate key objectives and tactics to staff for optimal goal achievement
• Unwavering commitment to quality and excellence with confidence to defend/debate ideas without ego interference
• Strong written and verbal communication skills; strong public speaking skills
• Ability to exercise tact and diplomacy
• Ability to sustain productivity under pressure, not intimidated by tasks/time limitations/obstacles
• Action-oriented, flexible, and innovative approach to operational management
• Passion, compassion, curiosity, humility, integrity, positive attitude, mission-driven and self-directed
• Knowledge and experience working with QuickBooks and/or other financial software
• Intermediate to advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite (Excel, PowerPoint, Word, Outlook) and Google Suite (google-docs, email, etc.)
• Exceptional attention to detail while maintaining big picture outlook
• Intermediate to advanced database skills
• Valid driver’s license with clear DMV record (Passenger endorsement a plus but not required)
• Bilingual/Spanish speaking a plus
• MBA or Masters Degree in Organizational Leadership, Non-Profit Administration, or related field strongly preferred or BA degree with equivalent experience
• Minimum of 5-7 distinguished years of experience and a track record in senior operational management
• 3-5 years’ experience strongly preferred in financial management and accounting within the non-profit sector, including audit oversight
• 3-5 years’ experience managing human resource functions strongly preferred, including personnel, compensation, recruiting, and claims investigation/resolution
Physical and Mental Demands
• Able to work in a dynamic and high noise level environment typical of a youth center
• Sitting and use of hands/vision for computer work for extended periods of time
• Outdoor work is required at times.
• Lift up to 40 pounds occasionally
• Able to communicate and convey accurate information
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the functions.
While performing the duties of this position, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to use hands to manipulate objects, tools or controls. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; sit; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; and stoop, kneel or crouch.
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee in this position. Employees are required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform any other job-related duties requested by any person authorized to give instructions or assignments.
We’re thrilled to know you’d like to join us here at A Place Called Home. To submit your application, go to https://www.paycomonline.net/v4/ats/web.php/jobs/ViewJobDetails?job=10092&clientkey=EC0897526493DC96E79F1D7A7FB8D485 or find the link at https://apch.org/who-we-are/job-opportunities/. If you have questions or difficulties, contact Bill Jones at [email protected]