The Network Administrator is responsible for maintaining a reliable, secure, and efficient network system. This position will install, maintain, monitor and support the operation of First 5 LA’s network, including both Cloud based as well as physical systems and storage. This position maintains the organization’s standard hardware and software configurations, develops automation tools to manage all software and hardware for network servers and customers, and administers packages, including commercial off the shelf (COTS) and custom applications.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
Key Areas of Responsibility:
- Maintains network infrastructure technologies, security, protocols and standards
- Maintains network system
- Maintains all forms of network storage
Maintains network infrastructure technologies, security, protocols and standards
- Develops security policies and information protection strategies
- Performs information security risk assessments and serves as the internal IT auditor for information security processes
- Anticipates new security threats and stays up to date with evolving infrastructures
- Monitors security vulnerabilities, threats and events in network and host systems
- Facilitates education programs focused on user Cybersecurity awareness and security compliance such as HIPAA, PCI, PHI, etc.
- Provides best practice recommendations to protect information assets and ensure business continuity and disaster recovery (BC/DR)
- Strategizes and develops automated deployment, incremental patch updates using Microsoft’s SCCM (System Center Configuration Manager) patch manager or other tools Maintains network system
- Designs, implements, and supports LAN, WAN, WLAN and firewall infrastructure systems
- Integrates IT systems; Leads efforts to create network redundancy and scalable network
- Administers and supports Microsoft, Dell, Cisco, Veeam, and VMware technologies
- Prepares and maintains detailed documentation of network configurations and cabling layouts, hardware equipment, etc.
- Organizes and maintains hardware equipment, cables, racks, and cabinets in the data center
- Designs agency desktop/laptop computer configurations
- Recommends design improvements and modifications to the network and related systems to align with the organization’s changing needs
Maintains all forms of network storage
- Designs, develops and migrates applications to a Cloud environment running on AWS, Azure, etc.
- Advocates across organization with hands-on Cloud adoption best practices, Cloud security best practices and Cloud maintenance/upgrade practices
- Responsible for data backup operations and follows procedures to ensure that all data backups are successful, secure and recoverable
- Serves as back up to Help Desk support; Provides end user technical assistance and support as necessary
- Supports the organization’s commitment to diversity and inclusion, and values a diversity of perspectives
- Adheres to policies and procedures to ensure alignment with State regulations, local ordinances and First 5 LA directives
- Keeps apprised of all laws, regulations, statutes, rules and policies affecting First 5 LA and Proposition 10
- Supervises contractors and consultants, as needed
- Collaborates both internally and with external stakeholders to capture, synthesize and share learning and knowledge outcomes from the ongoing execution of all activities as necessary
Other duties and responsibilities may be assigned. The duties and responsibilities listed are designed to provide typical examples of the work performed; not all duties and responsibilities assigned are included here, nor is it expected that all similar positions will be assigned every duty and responsibility.
A combination of education and/or experience that provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities to perform the essential functions of the position. Additional experience, as outlined below, may be substituted for required education.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Commitment to organizational mission and values: Mission-driven and self-directed, with a demonstrated passion for First 5 LA’s work to strengthen families and improve child outcomes; strives to model organizational values through daily actions and behaviors.
- Possesses customer-focused mindset: Is aware of and considers relevant internal and external stakeholders and their needs (customers); identifies solutions to be responsive to stakeholder needs; considers impact when executing daily tasks.
- Collaborative: Collaborates with peers to drive results in alignment with organizational and operational goals in support of the organization’s mission; is able to work in cross-functional teams; is able to establish and maintain effective working relationships with co-workers, public officials and the general public.
- Communicates effectively: Communicates effectively both written and oral; demonstrates active listening and comprehension; selects and uses appropriate communication methods to keep others appropriately informed; able to tailor messages appropriately to various audiences.
- Demonstrates integrity and judgment: Follow through on commitments letting others know of his/her true intentions; ensure decision-making or recommendations are fact-based, and others understand the decision/recommendation before moving forward; considers the relative costs and benefits of potential actions to choose the most appropriate one.
- Demonstrates critical thinking: Applies critical thinking, logic and reasoning to effectively think through problems and information; identifies relative strengths and weaknesses of options, solutions or approaches.
- Demonstrates strategic thinking: Considers issues and relationships relevant to achieving long range goals or vision; identifies alternatives based on logical assumptions, facts, available resources, constraints, and organizational values to layout several points of view on a course of action to accomplish goals.
Job Specific Competencies:
- Role Specific Content: Ability to express technical information in a clear, simple and concise way; ability to prepare, interpret and understand detailed software and hardware specifications and instructions; ability to prepare, interpret and understand network security and disaster recovery concepts, policies, standards and procedures; ability to exercise discretion in handling sensitive or confidential information or situations; ability to maintain the confidential nature of all employees and company proprietary and privileged information used or observed during performing job duties.
- Content Knowledge: Competent in required job skills and knowledge; ability to learn and apply new skills; ability to learn how to operate new systems quickly; demonstrated ability to set priorities, establish clear expectations and execute identified projects; keeps abreast of current developments; requires minimal supervision; displays understanding of how job relates to others; knows how to use technology tools to effectively manage and expedite processes; uses resources effectively.
- Planning and Organization and Project Management: The Network Administrator juggles several projects, people and problems simultaneously. It is essential that they be organized in the present and be looking ahead to prepare for what’s coming next; works in an organized manner with strong attention to detail; prioritizes and plans work activities; ability to effectively manage overlapping projects and deadlines; ability to work under pressure, meet deadlines and adjust to changing priorities; uses time efficiently; plans for additional resources; integrates changes smoothly; sets goals and objectives; ability to manage high performance projects
- Minimum of three years of demonstrated experience in network administration and customer service preferred
- Minimum of five years of demonstrated experience in design, maintenance, and operation of small to medium scale office networks preferred
- Training and experience in Microsoft (MCSA/MCSE) and Cisco systems preferred
- Familiarization with Apple systems, devices, and services preferred
- Computing Technology Industry Association (CompTIA) A+, Network +, Security+ preferred
- Computer hardware equipment and peripherals related to the area of assignment, including server maintenance.
- Experience in Cloud based technologies
- Knowledge of common security frameworks such as NIST
- Experience with Network Management – fiber, design and maintenance
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in computer science, computer information systems, management information system, math, engineering or business administration, or a related field preferred
- Enterprise security systems: Intrusion Detection, Data Loss Prevention, Centralized Logging, SIEM, Threat and Vulnerability Management
- Apple – iMac, Mac Pro, MacBooks, iPhones, iPads, iCloud
- Printers and Copiers – HP, Xerox, Minolta
- Operating systems such as Microsoft Windows, Active Directory, Apple iOS, macOS, Android and other products related to the area of assignment.
- Microsoft – Office 365, Teams, Windows server, SQL, WSUS, SCCM, WDS, AD, Azure, Surface Hub, intune etc.
- Cisco – Routers, switches and firewalls, Catalyst, Meraki, ASA, UC, VoIP Phone
- Virtual and data backup technologies – VMWare, Veeam, SAN etc.
- IBM – BladeCenter
- Computer software products such as software reporting tools, software automation tools, packaging software via SCCM, Network monitoring software, desktop and server management tools, Cisco UM, Backup technologies such as Veeam
- Video conferencing, including VoIP (Voice Over Internet Protocol)/SIP (Session Initiation Protocol)
- ITIL (Information Technology Infrastructure Library) Methodologies such as CAB, RCA, etc. Certificates, Licenses and Registrations:
- Valid California Class C Driver License or the ability to utilize an alternative method of transportation when needed to carry out job-related essential functions
- Valid automobile liability insurance
- Certification in Cisco, Microsoft, CompTIA, Cybersecurity, and related programs
Travel and Time Requirements:
- This position requires travel locally, statewide and nationally as needed
- This position may require off-hour and weekend support as needed
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS / WORK ENVIRONMENT
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The employee will sit, talk, hear and use hands up to 2/3 of the time. The employee will stand and walk up to 1/3 of the time. The employee is routinely required to carry and/or lift up to 10 pounds.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate