As a member of the City Year Los Angeles (CYLA) Marketing and Communications department, the Marketing & Communications Manager will help develop and execute communications strategies in tandem with the larger External Affairs team to powerfully convey the City Year story. They will amplify City Year’s brand and messaging for both internal and external audiences through the design, development, and organizational management of all branded collateral, social media, blogs, multi-media production, and digital communications. In partnership with the Managing Director of Communications, the Marketing Manager will provide top-notch customer service to the Executive Office, Recruitment, Development and Program teams to ensure sitewide communications needs and goals are met.
This individual contributor position plays a critical role in amplifying the impact of our work. The ideal candidate is a creative storyteller and tech savvy graphic designer with a passion for social media and cross-team project management.
City Year values and continuously works to build an equitable and inclusive culture where diverse people feel they belong.
Marketing & Communications
- Strategic Storytelling: Collaborate cross departmentally to write high-quality and compelling stories of impact about our corps, students, and partners. Generate ideas for new content on a continuous basis for various platforms that raise awareness about our impact and brand and engage stakeholders.
- Graphic Design: Design and manage branded collateral and other materials segmented for various audiences as requested. Facilitate print production when required. Build and manage external relationships with vendors, printers, and others as needed.
- Digital Communications: Plan, write, and design monthly e-newsletters and timely e-blasts. Make regular updates to the website and write and manage regular content for the CYLA blog. Manage coordinating, designing, and sending weekly internal communication email.
- Client Service/Sitewide Support: Support Communications, Development, Recruitment, Program & Service, and Executive Office with relevant marketing and communications outputs, including media relations, collateral design, multi-media, or digital communications. Support training of corps members for external speaking engagements as needed for City Year’s “Meet and Greet” Program.
- Multi-Media: Act as staff photographer and/or videographer as needed. Upload, edit and file multi-media content for both internal and external use.
- Planning & Strategy: Develop social media content calendars that support the overall social media strategy as well as the larger marketing and communication objectives. Partner with City Year Headquarters on social media strategy where appropriate.
- Social Media Management: Daily management of the site’s Twitter and Instagram accounts. Thoughtfully engage with existing and potential local stakeholders via social media to develop long-term partnerships. Monitor mentions, social campaigns, and City Year’s brand in social spaces, reporting performance, noteworthy conversations, trends to relevant internal Marketing, Communications, Public Policy, Government Relations, Legal, and Senior Leadership teams.
- Content Development: Produce content to achieve social media objectives while leveraging late-breaking opportunities for both national and local Marketing and Communications. Create and curate daily engaging content that resonates with target audiences on relevant social platforms. Develop shareable copy, videos, images, and visuals. Align content with City Year’s voice and tone to develop City Year’s personality in the social space.
- Site Social Media Leadership: Lead a cohort of 31 AmeriCorps members to support the execution of social media strategy and organizational initiatives at a school level, develop their storytelling skills, and support their professional development. Train staff and AmeriCorps members on City Year’s social media guidelines and monitor relevant platforms to ensure compliance.
- 2-3 years relevant experience in communications, marketing, or related fields
- Bachelor’s Degree in Communications, Journalism, Marketing or related field preferred
- Creative thinker with strong writing and storytelling skills
- Exceptional organizational and project management skills
- Experience working with Adobe Creative Suite - Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator, Acrobat, Lightroom
- Proficiency with social media and account management Platforms - Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram
- Experience working with web CMS systems and e-mail marketing systems
- Experience with and working knowledge of photography, video, and editing software
- Able to work effectively under pressure, handle competing priorities and respond to short deadlines with a team and independently
- Facilitation experience a plus
- Experience with and commitment to community service, national service and/or the development of young people as leaders
- City Year/AmeriCorps experience a plus
Additional Qualities Needed:
In order to succeed in this role, an applicant must have the following competencies:
- Executes to Results: Holds self-accountable, sets high expectations for self, efficient time management skills, ability to meet deadlines, and prioritize multiple projects with a positive can-do attitude. Acknowledges and corrects mistakes. Tracks and communicates progress, including potential delays in a timely manner. Demonstrated performance under pressure and strict deadlines.
- Communication: Conveys thoughts clearly and concisely. Listens well and asks good questions. Communicates well verbally and in writing, tailoring communication for the audience and situation. Ability and desire to work with and promote young people ages 17-24 and a year of service
- Relationship Development: Excellent customer service skills; able to balance own projects against the needs of others. Approachable and friendly. Actively seeks feedback and to understand other’s perspectives, interests and concerns. Adapts approaches to different people and situations.
- Desire to Learn: City Year has a unique service model and organizational culture. Successful applicants have strong experience and a track record of success in the above areas but must be willing and eager to continue to learn. Demonstrate a willingness to work in a collaborative and strong team-based organization.
Compensation and Benefits
Full time employees are entitled to compensation commensurate with experience. Benefits for full time employees include health insurance with Flexible Spending Account, paid vacation, holidays, parental leave, 401K, and more.
City Year is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to a diverse workforce. Individuals from all backgrounds are encouraged to apply, including persons with disabilities and veterans.