OUR MISSION & HISTORY
Established in 1993 to drive a children’s agenda on emerging issues, The Children’s Partnership (TCP)’s mission is to improve the lives of underserved children where they live, learn, and play with breakthrough solutions at the intersection of research, policy, and community engagement.
The Operations Manager plays a critical role in supporting and ensuring the effectiveness of the TCP team. The role serves to help ensure the organization runs smoothly, with particular emphasis on administration, finance & accounting, and organizational governance. The number one competency the person in this position must demonstrate is resourcefulness.
THE PILLARS OF OUR WORK
• Advance an Equity Agenda for Children • Build and Elevate Partnerships • Drive Community-Informed Research & Policy • Be the Leading Voice for Children • Promote a Dynamic and Innovative Organizational Culture
Balance, Equity, Growth, Accountability and Trust
Work in conjunction with the Vice President to:
- Serve as the organization’s Director of First Impressions (both internal and external!)
- Problem-solve, investigate, provide guidance, or secure assistance needed to address organizational support needs and keep the office running smoothly.
- Analyze and improve organizational processes and policies and work to improve quality, productivity and efficiency.
- Maintain operational manuals and SOPs and ensure latest updates are provided to staff via current communications channels.
- Help promote a company culture that encourages top performance and high morale in alignment with the organization’s values.
- Ensure all organizational operational responsibilities are executed in a timely, efficient and professional manner.
Finance duties to include:
- Managing all aspects of Accounts Payable and Accounts Receivable in Quickbooks (including ensuring accurate program and funder allocations and execution of weekly check runs).
- Preparing financial reports (both from Quickbooks and in Excel).
- Preparing expense reports.
- Performing credit card and other reconciliations.
- Making bank deposits (online and in person, as applicable).
- Maintaining finance records.
- Supporting annual audit process.
- Ongoing maintenance of internal controls.
HR duties to include:
- Managing initial stages of recruitment including:
- maintaining & posting up-to-date job announcements/descriptions.
- filtering & tracking job candidates.
- communications with candidates.
- Coordinating the on-boarding of new employees, ensuring:
- new hire paperwork is prepared and completed.
- employees are enrolled in all benefits, where applicable.
- IT services are coordinated for necessary set-up.
- Assisting with the execution of payroll.
- Ensuring smooth operation and administration of employee benefits.
- Supporting Vice President with curating content & executing logistics of events amongst staff including: celebrations, staff meetings, town halls, retreats, etc.
- Maintaining all personnel organizational records.
Administrative duties to include:
- Maintaining organizational lists, calendars, manuals, and files.
- Answering general phone & email inquiries using a professional and courteous manner; direct phone inquiries to appropriate staff members.
- Maintaining supplies inventory; place and expedite orders for supplies; verify receipt of supplies.
- Providing support to staff for travel arrangements and reimbursements.
- Ordering food for all meetings and celebrations.
- Assisting the Vice President with processes and tasks related to IT.
- Communicating with office vendors and the building manager as needed.
- Scheduling meetings and conference calls.
- Preparing meeting materials.
- Performing mail and shipping activities.
- Running local errands.
- Keeping our plants alive.
- Providing project assistance and coverage on various organizational projects.
Other duties may be required within the scope of this position, as deemed relevant and necessary.
QUALIFICATIONS AND COMPETENCIES
- 5 years relevant experience in an operational role
- Knowledge of not-for-profit accounting, finance, budgeting, and cost control principles in accordance with U.S. Generally Accepted Accounting Principles
- Knowledge of basic human resources principles and best practices
- Advanced Excel and Quickbooks abilities
- Working knowledge of video-conferencing tools (specifically Zoom, GoToMeeting), project management tools (Basecamp, Slack, Asana or similar)
- Proficiency in all Microsoft Office applications
- Experience creating financial reports
- Strong personal and professional judgment
- Demonstrated ability to handle multiple projects at a time, prioritize duties, and work independently while functioning as a member of a team
- Excellent organizational and administrative skills, writing and proofreading skills, oral communication and public speaking skills
- Ability to work collaboratively with a diversity of individuals at all levels, independently and as a team
- Demonstrated commitment to equity and racial justice
Full-time position (FLSA: Exempt).
Reports to: Vice President
Salary: Commensurate with experience. Excellent health, retirement & other benefits.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Physical Demands. While performing duties of job, employee is occasionally required to stand, walk, sit, use hands to handle or feel objects, reach with hands and arms, talk, and hear. Job requires sitting at a computer the majority of the day. Employee must occasionally lift or move up to 10 pounds.
- Work Environment. While performing the duties of this job, the majority of employee time will be spent in an office setting. The noise level is usually minimal.
- Travel. Travel to and participation at community events, conferences, and presentations may be required, representing less than 5% of overall time.