ORGANIZATION: LA’s BEST Afterschool Enrichment Program
POSITION: Social Media and Communications Intern
REPORTS TO: Director of Communications
LOCATION: Los Angeles City Hall, Downtown Los Angeles, CA
About LA’s BEST
LA’s BEST Afterschool Enrichment Program plays a vital role in the lives of more than 25,000 unique and talented elementary school students who come from neighborhoods with the fewest resources and the greatest needs. Every school day, from the time the school bell rings until 6pm, each LA’s BEST student receives a nutritious meal, help with their homework and the opportunity to participate in a wide array of enrichment activities. LA’s BEST engages children creatively, emotionally, intellectually and physically, empowering them to explore and discover the opportunities in their lives. We inspire and prepare children to create lives full of choices.
The Social Media & Communications Intern supports the LA’s BEST Development department to raise awareness and funds.
- Design and help create the content for eBlasts to reach 10K+ LA’s BEST supporters, including messaging to promote events.
- Create and design materials for Board Members.
- Tells our story through the eyes of our students, families and staff.
- Create a social media content calendar that includes regular posts for various social media outlets (Facebook, Instagram & Twitter). Update as needed.
- Support event promotion and advocacy campaign with the development of communication tools such as social media posts and templates, event flyers, one-page information documents, and other tools as needed.
- Track and produce analysis reports on emails and social media postings, usage and other items to support the education and advocacy campaign efforts of LA’s BEST, elected officials and our partners.
- Conduct product and consumer research of other education based organizations, hashtag campaigns and trends, that target similar constituents as the organization in order to determine best practices and key lessons to inform our social strategy and advocacy efforts.
- Create and input data and information for communications purposes.
- Organize social media account for LA’s BEST so that it is functional, presentable, and easily used by the development team.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including print, email, phone, and social media.
- Understands and demonstrates a strong understanding of appropriate communications etiquette.
- Commitment to ensuring the quality and timeliness of work.
- Familiarity with the use of Google Suite, Canva or other online design tools (Adobe Suite a huge plus).
- Some higher education coursework in marketing, communications, education studies or a related field.
- A minimum of six months of full-time work or volunteer experience in the communications field.
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work with teams.
- A U.S. citizen or legal resident with the right to work in the U.S.