TITLE: Hollywood Farmers’ Market Assistant I
STATUS : Part-time Non-Exempt
COMPENSATION: $15-$17 / hour (depending on experience), 24 hours / week
REPORTS TO: Manager, Hollywood Farmers’ Market
Sustainable Economic Enterprises of Los Angeles is the largest mission-driven operator of farmers’ markets in Southern California and a leader in improving food access and nutrition education. SEE-LA is seeking a part-time Farmers’ Market Assistant to serve as the primary support to the Manager, Hollywood Farmers’ Market in planning and operating all aspects of the Hollywood Farmers’ Market . The Hollywood Farmers’ Market is SEE-LA’s oldest and largest market and operates every Sunday from 8:00 AM to 1:00 PM at Ivar and Selma Avenue in Hollywood, CA. This position requires working Sundays at the market (6:30 AM - 3 PM) and two (2), eight (8) hour office days.
- Experience or interest in food, social justice, event planning, agriculture or other relevant fields.
- Experience working collaboratively with a wide variety of individuals, businesses and organizations.
- Ability to communicate effectively in an array of situations.
- Computer literacy (MS Office Suite, internet applications).
- Love of and aptitude for social media (including but not limited to Instagram and Facebook).
- Comfortable handling cash and an affinity for math.
- An organized, detail-oriented and strategic thinker.
- Must be able to work Sundays.
- Experience in Certified Farmers’ Markets, food assistance programs, and health and nutrition is a plus.
- Experience in event planning is a plus.
- Experience leading workshops for families and children (i.e. arts and crafts, nutrition) is a plus.
- Fluency in Spanish strongly preferred.
Hollywood Farmers’ Market, Sundays 6:30 AM - 3 PM
- Support Manager, Hollywood Farmers’ Market with the tasks related to the on-site operation of the Hollywood Farmers’ Market which include, but are not limited to:
- Assist vendors with proper placement in stalls
- Complete routine checks of all vendors to ensure vendor compliance with SEE-LA rules and other pertinent Regional, State, and Federal laws and regulations (Direct Marketing, California Retail Food Code, etc.)
- Collect updated paperwork from vendors
- Resolve emergencies, complaints and requests from vendors, customers and community partners
- Operate information / retail booth as needed
- Effectively facilitate vendor check out
- Post to social media (Instagram feed and stories, Facebook, Twitter) with relevant market news, vendor updates, seasonal finds, etc.
- Provide support for special events such as food demonstrations, cultural celebrations, book signings, etc.
Office, 16 hours, Flexible Monday-Thursday, 9:30 AM - 6 PM
- Administrative tasks including but not limited to:
- Manage vendor files and vendor management database and secure updated vendor paperwork for the market’s community engagement space: Community on Cosmo
- Follow up with vendors to update paperwork
- Process monthly vendor attendance and financial reports
- Finalize market maps, update day file, pack for market
- Organize and attend farm, kitchen and studio visits as needed
- Work with Manager, Hollywood Farmers’ Market to promote the health and growth of the market:
- Manage social media accounts including but not limited to developing original content, posting, scheduling and responding to messages across HFM social media (Instagram feed, stories and takeovers, Facebook posts and events).
- Provide creative, promotional, programmatic, and organizational support for the market’s community engagement space: Community on Cosmo , and center spotlight activities, such as: food demonstrations, cultural celebrations, book signings, etc.
- Arrange and attend meetings with local leaders, elected officials, community members, and other stakeholders
- Develop and implement programs and marketing material per the Manager, Farmers’ Market Operations
- Attend regular meetings as needed including, but not limited to:
- Weekly planning meetings with Manager, Farmers’ Market Operations
- Farmers’ Market Program Team Meetings once per month
- Monthly Hollywood Farmers’ Market Supervision meetings
- Monthly SEE-LA staff meetings
- Other meetings and trainings as required
- Participate in internal working groups and other collaborative activities as time permits
- Fundraise on behalf of SEE-LA
*May perform related duties as assigned by management.
PHYSICAL DEMAND AND WORK ENVIRONMENT
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand, sit; talk, hear, lift equipment (canopies, tables, produce boxes, etc.) and use hands and fingers to operate a computer and telephone keyboard reach, stoop kneel to install computer equipment.
Two (2) work days will take place indoors, and one (1) work day will take place outside at a heavily populated public event, rain or shine in hot or cold weather conditions.
DISCLAIMER: The above is intended to describe the general contents and requirements for the performance of this job. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of duties, responsibilities, or requirements.