TITLE: Manager, MLK Campus Farmers’ Market
STATUS : Part-time Non-Exempt
REPORTS TO: Senior Manager, Farmers’ Market Operations
Sustainable Economic Enterprises of Los Angeles (SEE-LA) is the largest mission-driven operator of farmers’ markets in Southern California and a leader in improving food access and nutrition education.
SEE-LA is seeking a part-time Farmers’ Market Manager to manage the operation of the MLK Campus Farmers’ Market on Wednesdays from 9:00am to 2:00pm, located at the MLK Campus Outpatient Center at 1670 E. 120th Street, Los Angeles, CA 90059, established in 2017. Under the direction of SEE-LA’s Senior Manager, Farmers’ Market Operations, the Manager, MLK Campus Farmers’ Market is responsible for the overall operation of the market, recruitment and retention of farmers/vendors, communications with the MLK Campus Outpatient Center staff, community organizations, market vendors, volunteers and other SEE-LA managers/staff, organization of market activities and programs
This position requires working Wednesdays at the market (7:00 AM - 4 PM) and two (2), eight (8) hour days at SEE-LA’s office near Downtown LA.
- Experience or interest in food, social justice, event planning, agriculture or other relevant fields.
- Experience working collaboratively with a wide variety of individuals, businesses and organizations.
- Ability to communicate effectively in an array of situations.
- Computer literacy (MS Office Suite, internet applications).
- Love of and aptitude for social media (including but not limited to Instagram and Facebook).
- Comfortable handling cash and an affinity for math.
- An organized, detail-oriented and strategic thinker.
- Must be able to work Sundays.
- Experience in Certified Farmers’ Markets, food assistance programs, and health and nutrition is a plus.
- Experience in event planning is a plus.
- Experience leading workshops for families and children (i.e. arts and crafts, nutrition) is a plus.
- Fluency in Spanish strongly preferred.
MLK Campus Farmers’ Market: Thursdays (7:00am-4:00pm)
- Responsible for oversight of the physical set-up and take-down of market, including market events, as needed
- Responsible for assigning vendor spaces, enforcing market rules and other pertinent laws and regulations
- Effectively facilitate vendor check out
- Ensure all vendors and market site are in compliance with all applicable laws and regulations
- Interface with community, customers and vendors in a professional manner
- Process CalFresh/EBT/WIC & Market Match transactions, per guidelines of programs
- Resolve emergencies, complaints, and requests from vendors, customers and community partners
- Ability to lift/carry 30 lbs.
SEE-LA Office – Two Weekdays
- Manage weekly market accounting and reconciling:
- Process all load lists from the previous market day
- Reconcile and submit all forms of payment including cash, check, EBT, Market Match, and WIC
- Complete weekly market day sales reports
- Organize and replenish EBT / Market Match supplies
- Facilitate monthly meetings with MLK Campus Outpatient Center staff
- Communicate with vendors and market stakeholders regarding market policies, activities, and rules
- Maintain vendor files and other administrative tasks as needed
- Work with SEE-LA’s Manager, Farmers’ Market Operations to secure all necessary permits for operation of a Certified Farmers’ Market
- Collaborate with state and federal agencies to ensure vendor compliance as needed
- Develop digital and print promotional materials
- Promote the farmers’ market within the community, including presentations to schools, local businesses, churches, and other community-based organizations.
- Coordinate community events to be held at the market such as book signings, food demos, etc.
- Interface with community leaders, elected officials, and community stakeholders
- Attend SEE-LA staff meetings Tuesday afternoons and trainings as required
- Organize and attend farm, kitchen and studio visits as needed
*May perform related duties as assigned by management.
PHYSICAL DEMAND AND WORK ENVIRONMENT
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand, sit; talk, hear, lift equipment (canopies, tables, produce boxes, etc.) and use hands and fingers to operate a computer and telephone keyboard reach, stoop kneel to install computer equipment.
Two (2) work days will take place indoors, and one (1) work day will take place outside at a heavily populated public event, rain or shine in hot or cold weather conditions.
DISCLAIMER: The above is intended to describe the general contents and requirements for the performance of this job. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of duties, responsibilities, or requirements.