LA’s BEST is seeking a key member of the Development team. The Grantwriter, will draft, submit, process, and manage grant proposals and reports, as well as review and edit grant proposals and reports written by the Director of Institutional Giving. The Grantwriter will also support the development of the LA’s BEST Annual Report and other organizational communications and review and edit content produced by other members of the team.
This is a full-time position reporting directly to the Director of Institutional Giving.
Qualified candidates must have:
- Minimum of a bachelor’s degree from a four-year college or university.
- Three-to-five years of grant writing and nonprofit development experience.
- Familiarity with nonprofit development best practices.
- Strong writing, editing, and research skills.
- Proficiency using Microsoft Word and Excel.
- Experience with fundraising database systems. Raiser’s Edge strongly preferred.
- Working knowledge of Guidestar and Foundation Center, and the ability to locate, identify, and summarize funders’ charitable giving foci, grant eligibility requirements, appropriate request amounts, application guidelines, submission instructions, and post-submission award notification timelines and protocols.
- Proficiency using online grant application and reporting systems Ability to comprehend and explain audited financial statements and organizational operating budgets.
- Capacity to develop program and project budgets.
- Familiarity with nonprofit annual reports and fundraising event publications.
- Sharp attention to detail.
- Competence working within an office setting.
- Write and edit high-quality letters of inquiry, proposals, applications, and reports designed to secure and maintain grants supporting the general operations, programs, and projects of LA’s BEST.
- Work closely with programmatic directors to craft restricted grant requests aligned with program needs.
- Manage and track all grant submissions using internal Development systems including Raiser’s Edge and Excel-based calendars.
- Work with programmatic and finance directors to ensure grant funds are expended in accordance with the terms of agreements.
- Research new grant prospects and capture findings in Raiser’s Edge.
- Gather content for and collaborate on writing the Annual Report and other communications materials.
- Complete fundraising event sponsorship applications and reports.
- Provide editing and other support for the LA’s BEST Development & Communications Department as needed.
LA’s BEST: The mission of LA’s BEST (Better Educated Students for Tomorrow) Afterschool Enrichment Program is to provide a safe and supervised afterschool education, enrichment and recreation program for children ages five to 12. Mayor Tom Bradley created LA’s BEST in 1988 in response to challenges arising from increasing numbers of unsupervised children throughout the City during out-of-school-time—especially within under-resourced Los Angeles neighborhoods that are disproportionately impacted by high rates of poverty and crime. LA’s BEST has grown from operating at 10 Los Angeles Unified School District (LAUSD) elementary school sites to 200, and currently serves 25,000 children each day during the afterschool hours, and 6,500-to-8,000 in the LA’s BEST Summer Learning Program each year.