Job Title: Youth Development Professional/Basketball
Job Type: Non-Exempt; Part-time
Job Rate: $15.00/hour
Job Location: Markham Middle School
1650 E. 104 th St. Los Angeles, CA 90002
Reports to: Site Coordinator
Boys & Girls Clubs of Carson’s Mission:
The Boys & Girls Clubs of Carson offers our young people a safe environment where they can have fun and be themselves around dedicated adult mentors who respect and listen to them. Outcome-based programs empower youth to become lifelong learners.
Plans, implements, supervise and evaluate activities provided within a specific program area, such as Social Recreation, Arts & Crafts, and Physical Education.
KEY ROLES (Essential Job Responsibilities):
Prepare Youth for Success
- Promote and stimulate program participation.
- Register new members and participate in their club orientation process.
- Provide guidance and role modeling to members.
Program Development and Implementation
- Effectively implement and administer a physical education program and activities for members.
- Ensure the development of appropriate sports curriculum.
- Foster the educational experience via hands‐on, developmentally appropriate, and highly interactive methods.
- Coach and provide players instructions in the rules, regulations, equipment, and techniques of a sports program.
- Organize and direct group practices activities or exercises.
- Monitor players during competition and practices.
- Model sport-like behavior and maintain appropriate conduct towards players, officials and spectators.
- Maintain the equipment in an orderly condition and assume responsibility for its security.
- Assist in the creation of bulletin boards, display of member activities and other department objectives.
- Must possess some knowledge of the rules, regulations, strategies, and techniques of the program sport.
- Prepare weekly and monthly schedules.
- Promote and recruit members.
- Monitor and evaluate programs, services and activities to ensure safety of members, quality in programs and appearance of the unit at all times. Prepare periodic activity reports.
- Help develop injury prevention methods, evaluates injuries. Highest priority is the safety of the Club members.
- Ensure a productive work environment by participating in regular unit and organization staff meetings.
- Be able to enforce program rules for specific areas and maintain vigilance of youth at all times.
- May participate in special programs and/or events.
- May be required to drive Club van and obtain Class B license (training provided for Class B license).
- May be required to help in other program areas.
- Assume other duties as assigned.
Internal: Maintains close, daily contact with Club staff (professional and volunteer), Club members, and supervisor to receive/provide information, discuss issues, explain guidelines/instructions; instruct; and advise/counsel.
External: Maintains contact with external community groups, schools, members' parents and others to assist in resolving problems.
- Minimum of two years of college experience.
- Some experience as a coach for high school students preferred.
- Must possess the ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with school administrators, parents, and students.
- Knowledge of youth development.
- Some knowledge of Math, Science & English and be able to provide homework assistance when needed.
- Ability to work some weekends.
- Ability to utilize a wide variety of reference, descriptive data and information.
- Ability to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral or diagrammatic form. Involves semi-routine standardized work with some latitude for independent judgment concerning choices of action.
- Ability to motivate youth and manage behavior problems.
- Ability to plan and implement quality programs for youth.
- Ability to organize and supervise members in a safe environment.
- Mandatory CPR and First Aid Certifications and TB clearance.
- Valid State Driver’s License
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS/WORK ENVIRONMENT:
Tasks that involve the ability to exert physical effort, typically involving some combination of standing for long periods of time, stooping, kneeling, crouching, and crawling, and which may involve some lifting, carrying, pushing, and/or pulling of objects up to 50 pounds.