Job Title: STEM Youth Development Professional
Job Type: Non-Exempt; Part-time
Job Rate: $15.00/hour
Job Location: Edwin Markham Middle School
1650 E. 104 th St. Los Angeles, CA 90002
Boys & Girls Clubs of Carson’s Mission:
The Boys & Girls Clubs of Carson offers our young people a safe environment where they can have fun and be themselves around dedicated adult mentors who respect and listen to them. Outcome-based programs empower youth to become lifelong learners.
The goal of the STEM Program is to improve student learning in STEM and to inspire students to consider careers in the math and sciences.
KEY ROLES (Essential Job Responsibilities):
Prepare Youth for Success
- Promote and stimulate STEM participation and implement STEM related programs.
- Provide guidance and role modeling to members.
Program Development and Implementation
- Support student growth in STEM related activities including programming skills, understanding of various operating systems, and collaborating in team based STEM Competitions.
- Promote, implement, and administer STEM programs, services and activities for members.
- Ensure the development of appropriate STEM related lesson plan and activities.
- Foster the educational experience via hands‐on, developmentally appropriate, and highly interactive methods.
- Establish a system for evaluating the program and content to measure understanding and effectiveness.
- Report all damaged equipment to the Director.
- Prepare and implement weekly and monthly STEM program schedules.
- Ability to acquire a working knowledge of STEM based projects, problem-solving skills, and computer programming skills.
- Preferred: computer science/math/science/engineering background and/or experience with either astronomy, cyber security, or robotics.
- Experience working with teens within a school setting.
- Maintain members order and discipline by managing members’ behavior; reinforces rules of the club and all the recreational areas.
- Ensure a productive work environment by participating in regular unit and organization staff meetings.
- May participate in special programs and/or events.
- May be required to help in other program areas.
- Assume other duties as assigned.
Internal: Maintains close, daily contact with Club staff (professional and volunteer), Club members, and supervisor to receive/provide information, discuss issues, explain guidelines/instructions; instruct; and advise/counsel.
External: Maintains contact with external community groups, schools, members' parents and others to assist in resolving problems.
- High School diploma or GED required.
- Minimum of two years of college experience in STEM or related field preferred
- Experience with education programming for youth in community‐based and after‐school settings.
- Knowledge of youth developmental needs and stages.
- Ability to plan and implement quality programs for youth.
- Ability to organize and supervise members in a safe environment.
- Extensive knowledge including, but not limited to, Microsoft Windows 10 Operating Systems, Microsoft Office suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.)
- Computer troubleshooting skills.
- Mandatory CPR/First Aid Certifications and TB clearance.
- Valid State Driver’s License.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS/WORK ENVIRONMENT:
Tasks that involve the ability to exert physical effort, typically involving some combination of standing for long periods of time, stooping, kneeling, crouching, and crawling, and which may involve some lifting, carrying, pushing, and/or pulling of objects up to 50 pounds.