Job Title: Youth Development Professional Dance
Job Type: Non-Exempt; Part-time
Job Rate: $15.00/hour
Job Location: Edwin Markham Middle School
1650 E. 104 th St. Los Angeles, CA 90002
Reports to: Site Coordinator
Boys & Girls Clubs of Carson’s Mission:
The Boys & Girls Clubs of Carson offers our young people a safe environment where they can have fun and be themselves, dedicated adult mentors who respect and listen to them, and outcome-based programs that empower youth to become lifelong learners.
Plans, implements, supervises and evaluates activities provided within a specific program area, such as Education, Special Education, Social Recreation, Arts & Crafts and Physical Education.
KEY ROLES (Essential Job Responsibilities):
Prepare Youth for Success
- Promote and stimulate program participation.
- Register new members and participate in their club orientation process.
- Provide guidance and role modeling to members.
Program Development and Implementation
- Effectively implement and administer Dance programs, services and activities for members.
- Plan for appropriate instruction of Dance.
- Provide instruction of various dance techniques to Club members.
- Prepare members for Dance performances.
- Responsible for the general upkeep and protection of equipment used by the program.
- Prepare Dance room for the day’s activities.
- Responsible for recommending purchase of equipment, supplies, and uniforms as needed.
- Promote and recruit members for the Dance program.
- Monitor and evaluate Dance services and activities to ensure safety of members, quality in programs and appearance of the unit at all times.
- Keeps abreast of new developments, innovative ideas and techniques, competitions, and performance opportunities by attendance of clinics and workshops.
- Assist in the creation of all bulletin boards, display of member activities and other department objectives.
- Prepare weekly and monthly schedules.
- Prepare periodic activity reports.
- Maintain and keep files of attendance.
- Maintain members order and discipline by managing members’ behavior; reinforces rules of the club and all the recreational areas (including the front desk).
- Help develop injury prevention methods, evaluates injuries. Highest priority is the safety of the Club members.
- Ensure a productive work environment by participating in regular unit and organization staff meetings.
- May participate in special programs and/or events.
- May be required to drive Club van.
- May be required to help in other program areas.
- Assume other duties as assigned.
Internal: Maintains close, daily contact with Club staff (professional and volunteer), Club members, and supervisor to receive/provide information, discuss issues, explain guidelines/ instructions; instruct; and advise/counsel.
External: Maintains contact with external community groups, schools, members' parents and others to assist in resolving problems.
- High School diploma or GED.
- Minimum of two years of college experience preferred.
- Has knowledge of youth development.
- Ability to administer techniques, processes and procedures required to teach various Dance and Cheer skills to members.
- Understands principles of learning related to Dance and Cheer.
- Skilled in hip hop, cheer, jazz, competition dance, and/or chorus line techniques.
- Interpersonal skills using tact, patience and courtesy.
- Ability to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral or diagrammatic form.
- Understand and conduct semi-routine standardized work.
- Ability to motivate youth and manage behavior problems.
- Ability to deal with the general public.
- Ability to plan and implement quality programs for youth.
- Ability to organize and supervise members in a safe environment.
- Mandatory CPR and First Aid Certifications and TB clearance.
- Valid State Driver’s License
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS/WORK ENVIRONMENT:
Tasks that involve the ability to exert physical effort, typically involving some combination of standing for long periods of time, stooping, kneeling, crouching, and crawling, and which may involve some lifting, carrying, pushing, and/or pulling of objects up to 50 pounds.