826LA is a non-profit organization dedicated to supporting students ages 6 to 18 with their creative and expository writing skills, and to helping teachers inspire their students to write. Our services are structured around the understanding that great leaps in learning can happen with one-on-one attention, and that strong writing skills are fundamental to future success. With this in mind we provide after-school tutoring, evening and weekend workshops, in-school tutoring, help for English language learners, and assistance with student publications. All of our free programs are challenging and enjoyable, and ultimately strengthen each student’s power to express ideas effectively, creatively, confidently, and in their individual voice.
The Design Manager is responsible for the success of the student publication process for 826LA’s programs and works in print, production, and digital formats. The Design Manager will also aid in the creation of outreach, communications, web, and development materials as needed, with the goal of providing design support to all 826LA locations and Time Travel Marts, holding all work to the high standard of the 826LA brand. The Design Manager is part of the Development Team and reports to the Development and Communications Manager.
- Serves as the champion of the 826LA and Time Travel Mart brand, and ensures consistent branding across all 826LA materials;
- Manages the student publication process, including setting publication schedules, book design, and book production, and ensures high visual quality of all 826LA publications;
- Provides design support to all 826LA staff, and creates all outward-facing collateral for outreach, events, social media, web, and print, and is the point person for visualization and delivery of outside communications;
- Works closely with the Director of Advancement and Events and the Development and Communications Manager to create and design highly effective donor-facing stewardship and fundraising materials and campaigns including an ongoing author reading series, an annual year-end campaign, and the annual Tell Me A Story gala;
- Works closely with Time Travel Mart Manager and Creative Cohort to support the store: store products and launches, seasonal campaigns, and visual integrity of the Time Travel Mart brand; helps maintain the Artist in Residence Program;
- Manages back end of the 826LA website and is the point person for web needs;
- Maintains relationships with a robust network of creative partners, freelancers, and volunteers through individual relationships with designers, illustrators, artists, and writers, and 826LA-hosted Creative Roundtables;
- Oversees design interns and design intern recruitment process;
- Reports to the Development and Communications Manager.
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE MUST BE ABLE TO DEMONSTRATE THEY HAVE:
- In-depth knowledge of Photoshop, Illustrator, and InDesign;
- Experience and familiarity with photography;
- Strong typographic, and layout skills, and a portfolio that reflects that;
- Illustration skills preferred;
- Excellent communication skills both verbally and in writing;
- Ability to work well both independently and as part of a team;
- Proven time management and organizational skills;
- Experience managing multiple projects, priorities, and deadlines with strong attention to detail;
- Preference for supervisory or management experience;
- Working knowledge of HTML, CSS, and Wordpress;
- Believes enthusiastically in the mission of 826LA;
- Bachelor’s degree in graphic design-related field as well as 2+ years of professional experience;
- Spanish language skills and retail experience preferred.
This position is full time, and the flexibility to work some evenings and weekends is necessary.
Benefits include three weeks of vacation, participation in 826LA’s health and dental care plan, 401K, and life insurance plan. Salary is commensurate with experience.