C5 Youth Foundation of Southern California (C5LA) is an award-winning youth organization that provides five-plus years of leadership development and mentoring to high-potential teens from under-resources communities that guides them through successful high school graduation, enrollment and success in college. We accomplish this by providing life-changing experiences that help develop the social, emotional and cultural capital necessary for educational success. This program is provided at no cost to over 350 youth and their families throughout Los Angeles County. We are part of the C5 National Association with sites in Atlanta, Boston and Dallas.
Reporting to the Executive Director, The DofA serves as a member of the leadership team supporting the organization’s overall mission. The DofA supports the growth of C5LA by expanding and diversifying the donor base, increasing its funding sources and enhancing the organization's visibility in Los Angeles and beyond. We are looking for an innovative, diligent and organized leader with superior communication skills who can translate our mission and work to myriad stakeholders. The successful candidate will be able to think strategically and logically, have an entrepreneurial spirit, be able to thrive in a fast-paced environment and handle competing multiple priorities and deadlines. Additionally, the right candidate will have existing networks of relationships to draw upon, experience in and proven success in harnessing social media to raise awareness and dollars and have led large capital campaigns previously.
- Work in partnership with the executive director and program team to support the overall organization’s vision and mission while creating a forward-thinking advancement strategy
- Develop and implement a short and long-term development plan to meet established goals and objectives. This includes, but is not limited to, strategic initiatives for securing major gifts, annual events and appeals, corporate and foundation grants, defining stewardship and prospecting tactics, cultivation events, and developing new approaches to grow C5LA’s donor base.
- Manage all advancement, development and communications efforts for the organization
- Secure financial support from foundations, corporations and individuals by developing, executing and managing a comprehensive and diverse fundraising strategy
- Develop and maintain ongoing relationships with foundation and corporate prospects as well as cultivate, solicit and steward individual donors in collaboration with the executive director and the Board of Directors
- Write foundation and corporate grants and grant reports and develop and write annual giving campaigns and individual donor appeals
- Manage donor data entry and gift processing and work in partnership with accounting office to ensure all donor records and databases are accurate and up to date
- Develop and implement a communications strategy to support the organization's programmatic and fundraising initiatives, including media outreach, social media, a public relations strategy and drafting press releases and publications
- Maintain and update C5LA website, write and publish monthly email updates and annual report
- Manage annual gala event and develop smaller cultivation efforts and 3 rd party fundraising opportunities
- Represent C5LA by presenting at conferences, workshops and meetings
- Take on additional assignments/special projects as determined by organizational needs
- Attend board meetings to report on advancement activities
- Commitment to youth leadership development and passion for the C5LA program, students, and mission
- Proven track record of fundraising success, particularly by securing major gifts, successfully managing campaigns, and engaging a community of motivated supporters.
- 4-6 years of experience in educational or non-profit fundraising, with demonstrated success in cultivating and soliciting major gifts and foundation grants
- Experience in dealing effectively with high net worth individuals
- Proven success in effective online, print and personal communications with exceptional attention to detail
- Computer skills and proficient use of Office software including Excel, MS Word, Donor Perfect and Sales Force
- Experience with social media networking
- Exceptional interpersonal skills, able to relate one-on-one and in groups with confidence, empathy and poise
- Superior communication both verbally and written and able to listen and write clearly and analytically
- A problem solver, able to prioritize multiple scenarios
- Excellent time management skills, with an ability to prioritize, work well under pressure and meet tight deadlines
- Team player and collaborator
- Self-starter, flexible, able to adapt and adjust quickly to changing situations and needs
- Honest, ethical and trustworthy
- Respectful, flexible and adaptable
- Self-reflective, seeks to improve and develop his/her skills and knowledge
- Culturally aware and sensitive and able to work with and lead diverse teams and individuals
- A minimum of 4 years of experience in development, fundraising or a related field
- Bachelor’s degree required; Master’s degree preferred
- Demonstrated effective leadership, collaboration, conflict resolution, communication
- Experience coordinating small and large scale events and campaigns
- High level of proficiency with Microsoft Office programs: Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, Salesforce, and other donor database management and or contact management software
- High level of comfort with the internet and technology, especially Social Media
- Accounting & bookkeeping knowledge and experience working with accountants, bookkeepers, etc.