The Los Angeles City Ethics Commission is responsible for administering and enforcing state and City laws relating to governmental ethics, campaign financing, and lobbying. The Ethics Commission seeks an impartial and knowledgeable professional to serve as a Senior Communications Analyst on its Strategic Communications team. The position will promote the agency’s work and education efforts by translating complex information into clear and understandable terms through presentations, trainings, and both digital and print publications. Key duties include development of data visualizations, data analysis, copywriting, graphic design, website updates, and email marketing.
The position demands a highly organized, creative, and self-motivated individual, who demonstrates the following qualifications:
• Exceptional copywriting and editing skills.
• Exceptional verbal communication and presentation skills.
• Exceptional interpersonal skills.
• Exceptional judgment and discretion.
• Flexibility and an ability to successfully juggle competing priorities.
• Ability to learn complex laws and translate them into engaging educational materials.
• Ability to develop data visualizations and training materials.
• Proficient in Tableau, Esri/ArcGIS, or Power BI.
• Knowledge of the following applications highly desired: Ruby on Rails, Adobe Creative Suite: Illustrator, InDesign, and Photoshop; Wordpress; CSS; basic HTML; Constant Contact; MailChimp; Granicus.
• Ability to work well in a politically sensitive environment and to maintain strict confidentiality.
The successful candidate must forego personal involvement in any political or partisan activity.
Training and Experience
A four-year degree from an accredited university with a major emphasis in communications, digital marketing, or a related field is required. A graduate degree is highly desirable. Significant relevant experience may be substituted for the educational requirement.
The salary range is $72,223 – $105,569. The starting salary is $72,223, with fixed annual increases.
Email cover letter, résumé, two recent visual publications (e.g., guides, brochures, infographics, flyers, data visualizations, etc.), and a recent writing sample that is not more than five pages long to [email protected] Applications are being accepted on an ongoing basis, beginning October 17, 2019, and the application window may close at any time.
*This position is an exempt, at-will position. The incumbent will not accrue any civil service tenure, contractual employment rights, or due process rights. The incumbent may be removed by the hiring authority without any finding of cause.