Under the direction of the Communications Manager – Strategic Initiatives, the Digital Content Specialist is responsible for developing and distributing content for First 5 LA’s digital properties including, but not limited to: websites, social media, internal communications and collaboration platforms (such as SharePoint), internal and external content development and communications, and electronic newsletters. The Digital Content Specialist collaborates closely with colleagues across the organization to fulfill a variety of other content development needs and is responsible for achieving measureable results and conducting ongoing analyses to ensure First 5 LA’s continued growth across our digital platforms to advance the organization’s goals.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
The Digital Content Specialist should visibly demonstrate the adopted organizational values of collaboration, integrity, respect, accountability, partnership, shared leadership and learning in the execution of their key areas of responsibility:
Key Areas of Responsibility:
▪ Supports Implementation of Communications and Marketing Plans
▪ Content Development and Distribution
▪ Building and Maintaining Cross-Departmental Internal Relationships, External Relationships
▪ Digital Properties Support, Including Digital Content Management
▪ Project Management support
Supports Implementation of Communications and Marketing Plans
▪ Assists in the support and implementation of communications and marketing strategies to advance the goals of the outcome areas contained in First 5 LA’s 2015-2020 Strategic Plan including executing promotional strategies across media channels using paid media, such as advertising, and owned media, such as radio, television and print news outlets, and emerging digital and social media platforms, as well as First 5 LA’s digital properties, including website and its subdomains, and electronic newsletters.
▪ Collaborates with internal staff and consultants to develop and manage digital content marketing strategies to position First 5 LA as a thought leader and resource among various targeted audiences.
▪ Provides communications and marketing expertise to the entire organization.
▪ Develops work plans (including timeline and cost estimates) and coordinates the planning and execution of projects as assigned by the Communications Manager – Strategic Initiatives.
Content Development and Distribution
▪ Assists in the design and development of digital communications and ensures quality, clarity and consistency
▪ Collaborates with in-house creative team, First 5 LA staff, consultants and contractors (e.g., writers, editors, translators, photographers, videographers, etc.) to develop, design and produce print and digital publications, collateral and advertising materials, and supports the creation of data visualizations and infographics.
▪ Manages the logistics, planning and production of digital content, such as articles and blogs for First 5 LA’s digital properties. Coordinates the work of additional design or editorial consultants, ensuring the materials are produced on schedule and on budget.
▪ Ensures digital content is aligned with brand guidelines and upholds the values of the organization, informs the public, elevates the conversation on issues affecting children prenatal to age 5 and their families, and advances First 5 LA’s policy and system change goals.
▪ Works with staff to maintain a library of collateral materials, including archival materials from First 5 LA, other First 5 Commissions, and reference materials from similar organizations as well as samples from potential vendors.
▪ Analyzes and dissects a wide variety or programmatic and policy topics to produce compelling digital communications deliverables that clearly communicate First 5 LA’s goals and objectives.
▪ Implements, organizes photo shoots and photography for First 5 LA and grantee/partner events, press conferences, and internal events both at the First 5 LA office and offsite locations.
▪ Captures, edits, organizes, and tags high-resolution photographs for First 5 LA use, and maintains, builds, and administers First 5 LA’s stock photo library online with meta-tagging, and organization by event or date.
Building and Maintaining Cross-Departmental Internal Relationships, External Relationships
▪ Develops and manages effective internal relationships and collaborates with staff across the agency to communicate to decision-makers, media, partners, grantees, Commissioners, staff and stakeholders, and secondarily, the broader public, about the importance of the early years and the impact the organization has on the children and families in L.A. County.
▪ Works with various First 5 LA’s divisions to help create storytelling opportunities related to the agency’s four Board-approved results for children and families, as well as policy and advocacy efforts
▪ Supports relationship building and coordination efforts of the Communications Manager – Strategic Initiatives efforts to partner with external outlets’ digital platforms to distribute First 5 LA’s content and helps build a broad base of advocates, supporters and partner organizations aligned with First 5 LA’s mission.
Digital Properties Support, Data and Metrics Analysis
▪ Manages process to post time-sensitive material to First 5 LA’s website, and oversees website content to ensure accuracy and timeliness of information and images, and makes recommendations for improvements. Coordinates with Board Relations Specialist for posting of Board materials. Works with various department staff to create and implement a process to develop and maintain content (i.e. articles, blogs, investment updates, etc.) for First 5 LA’s website.
▪ Works with Information Technology Department on digital property design, including First 5 LA’s websites and e-newsletters, and internal collaboration platforms.
▪ Analyzes traffic to websites, e-newsletters, and digital analytics data measuring the effectiveness of First 5 LA’s digital communications outreach in order to make recommendations on programming/communication changes.
Project Management Support
▪ Integrates content creation to ensure the coordination of public awareness, public education and public will-building communications and marketing campaigns.
▪ Tracks and documents project status against timeline. Regularly updates team and key stakeholders on project schedules to accurately indicate current status.
▪ Continually evaluates project components for effectiveness against established measurement criteria and develops alternative solutions as required.
▪ Coordinate with Information Technology Department on Contact Management databases for use in digital content marketing activities.
Organizational Policies Adherence
▪ Supports the organization’s commitment to diversity and inclusion, and values a diversity of perspectives
▪ Adheres to policies and procedures to ensure alignment with State regulations, local ordinances and First 5 LA directives
▪ Keeps apprised of all laws, regulations, statutes, rules and policies affecting First 5 LA and Proposition 10
▪ Supervises contractors and consultants, as needed
▪ Collaborates both internally and with external stakeholders to capture, synthesize and share learning and knowledge outcomes from the ongoing execution of all activities as necessary
Other duties and responsibilities may be assigned. The duties and responsibilities listed are designed to provide typical examples of the work performed; not all duties and responsibilities assigned are included here, nor is it expected that all similar positions will be assigned every duty and responsibility.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
▪ Commitment to organizational mission and values: Mission-driven and self-directed, with a demonstrated passion for First 5 LA’s work to strengthen families and improve child outcomes; strives to model organizational values through daily actions and behaviors
▪ Possesses Customer-Focused Mindset: Is aware of and considers relevant internal and external stakeholders and their needs (customers); identifies solutions to be responsive to stakeholder needs; considers impact when executing daily tasks
▪ Collaborative: Collaborates with peers to drive results in alignment with organizational and operational goals in support of the organization’s mission; is able to work in cross-functional teams; is able to establish and maintain effective working relationships with co-workers, public officials and the general public
▪ Communicates Effectively: Communicates effectively both written and oral; demonstrates active listening and comprehension; selects and uses appropriate communication methods to keep others appropriately informed; able to tailor messages appropriately to various audiences
▪ Demonstrates Integrity and Judgment: Follows through on commitments letting others know of his/her true intentions; ensures decision-making or recommendations are fact-based and others understand the decision/recommendation before moving forward; considers the relative costs and benefits of potential actions to choose the most appropriate one
▪ Demonstrates Critical Thinking: Applies critical thinking, logic and reasoning to effectively think through problems and information; identifies relative strengths and weaknesses of options, solutions or approaches
▪ Demonstrates Strategic Thinking: Considers issues and relationships relevant to achieving long range goals or vision; identifies alternatives based on logical assumptions, facts, available resources, constraints, and organizational values to layout several points of view on a course of action to accomplish goals
Job Specific Competencies
▪ Role Specific Content: Familiarity with current issues regarding children and families of Los Angeles County, including family support, community capacity-building, early care and education, child health and safety, and a broad enough perspective to recognize opportunities to advance organizational outcomes via communications and marketing activities. Understanding of the ethnic, cultural, geographic and socio-economic diversity of the population focused upon by the agency in Los Angeles County. Ability to calibrate messaging for a wide-range of audiences, including parents from ethnically diverse backgrounds, key partners, opinion leaders and elected officials. Knowledge of social media platforms (i.e. Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and Pinterest) and their content types, including requirements for visual assets including share graphics, videos, etc. Expertise with Google Analytics and other web reporting systems; and with web-based communications tools and content-management programs; knowledge of HTML and CMS systems preferred; Ability to think creatively and strategically about communicating key messages to various audiences and to iterate and incorporate successive layers of feedback and communication; Ability to work independently and with internal stakeholders and outside vendors to procure and create content (copy, imagery, video) for digital properties, such as webpages, and collateral; Ability to measure effectiveness of digital campaigns with web analytics and drive purposeful action accordingly; Understanding of design, video, social, email processes & programs (Adobe Photoshop/InDesign, Final Cut Pro, Mailchimp, etc.); basic use of programs preferred
▪ Content Knowledge: Competent in required job skills and knowledge; ability to learn and apply new skills; ability to learn how to operate new systems quickly; demonstrated ability to set priorities, establish clear expectations and execute identified projects; keeps abreast of current developments; requires minimal supervision; displays understanding of how job relates to others; knows how to use technology tools to effectively manage and expedite processes; uses resources effectively
▪ Planning and Organization and Project Management: Works in an organized manner with strong attention to detail; prioritizes and plans work activities; ability to effectively manage overlapping projects and deadlines; ability to work under pressure, meet deadlines and adjust to changing priorities; uses time efficiently; plans for additional resources; integrates changes smoothly; sets goals and objectives; ability to manage high performance projects
▪ Five (5) years minimum of professional experience in content marketing, digital content development and management, public education efforts, promotions and understanding of paid media.
▪ Extensive project management and coordination experience.
▪ Experience overseeing consultants and vendors to produce communications products, such as digital and visual content, written content, translations, publications and promotional items.
▪ Bachelor’s Degree (B.A.) or equivalent from an accredited college or university in the fields of Communications, Marketing, Public Affairs or a related field; a combination of education and years of experience may be substituted.
▪ Proficiency in MS Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook)
▪ Ability to use widely supported internet browsers
▪ Strong Google Analytics, WordPress and Adobe Acrobat/Illustrator skills.
Certificates, Licenses and Registrations:
▪ Valid California Class C Driver License or the ability to utilize an alternative method of transportation when needed to carry out job-related essential functions
▪ Valid automobile liability insurance
▪ This position requires travel locally, statewide and nationally as needed.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS / WORK ENVIRONMENT
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The employee will sit, talk, hear and use hands up to 2/3 of the time. The employee will stand and walk up to 1/3 of the time. The employee is routinely required to carry and/or lift up to 10 pounds.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.