Under the general guidance and direction of the Senior Manager, Performance & Evaluation, the Performance & Evaluation Manager will play a lead role in the United Way’s data-driven approach to ending homelessness and addressing poverty. In particular, the Manager will develop and sustain key relationships, research, reports, and tools that bring performance measurement and research to the forefront of policy change, funding allocation, and advocacy priorities.
We invite candidates to join our dynamic, innovative team of implementers. The work environment is fast-paced and energized, focused on continuous learning and improvement both internally and out in the field. The ideal candidate will demonstrate a deep passion for ending homelessness, possess a strong work-ethic, enjoy dynamic problem-solving, operate with a team & mission-first mindset, and exhibit a track record of cultivating meaningful and productive relationships with diverse partners.
- Drive systems change and improved performance by identifying and communicating trends, trajectories, and opportunities on our core goals around homelessness and poverty, through research, evaluation, and analysis:
- Cultivate Healthy Systems: measure the performance of our Coordinated Entry System – and all its component pieces – and identify ways to help our most vulnerable neighbors exit the streets & shelters quickly and permanently,
- Grow Regional Impact: support regional data leadership and translate County-wide strategies, systems, and resources to meaningfully localize the solutions to ending homelessness,
- Manage Inflow: Measure the impact of upstream systems on homelessness inflow and the outcomes of downstream supports to improve retention, identifying opportunities for system enhancement, and
- Build Capacity, Partnerships, and Accountability in support of collaboration and integration across public agencies and service providers to be stronger and smarter through data.
- Design reports, dashboards, and other analytical tools that engage stakeholders (policy makers, general public, service providers, and donors) and help identify opportunities for systemic transformation
- Lead efforts to strengthen data sharing and reporting across funders and systems by building collaborative teams, managing relationships, developing agendas, facilitating meetings, and advocating for greater data access and transparency
- Manage regular updates to community dashboards by working with systems partners and policy makers and uploading and integrating new datasets
- Represent the United Way in the Homelessness Policy Research Institute in ensuring continued alignment and coordination between academics and policy makers, by participating in and facilitating regular stakeholder meetings and planning sessions
- Support the Senior Manager in implementing the United Way’s strategic plan, including developing internal impact reports and an organizational research agenda
- Support the Data Coordinator in increasing regional data capacity by helping develop community-level reports and real-time performance dashboards
- Work with the Performance & Evaluation team in collecting and integrating performance data into internal databases
- Work with the Grants team to establish performance goals, collect and review grant performance data and submit results to funders
- Work with additional teams in the Community Impact department to build analytic capacity, improve performance tracking, and increase overall impact
- Communicate and collaborate across United Way’s departments to align performance & evaluation efforts with Community Impact, Development, Finance, and Marketing to strengthen organizational relationships and customer service
- Support implementation of the Operations Team’s annual goals and the organization’s strategic plan
- Participate in cross-departmental and organizational planning and volunteer efforts as needed
- Other duties and responsibilities as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree required; Master’s Degree in Public Policy, Social Work, Urban Planning or equivalent professional work experience preferred
- Minimum 5 years related work experience required; background in homeless services / policy, strategic communications, research / evaluation, and community organizing / engagement preferred
- Working knowledge of the root causes of and solutions to homelessness preferred
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to build relationships with diverse stakeholders, including United Way team members, board members, external partners, and donors
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively with all organizational levels within a diverse fast-paced environment
- Must be able to exercise initiative, independent good judgment, flexibility, discretion, and solid decision making
- Must be able to utilize creative strategies to engage stakeholders and maintain effective working relationship with key stakeholders
- Should possess strong written, and verbal communication skills, as well as the ability to persuade small and large groups alike
- Must be able to successfully manage multiple priorities and projects, meet deadlines, adjust to changing circumstances, and demonstrate critical thinking skills and confidence working with diverse stakeholders, including nonprofit, public sector, corporate, faith-based, and philanthropic stakeholders
- A strong sense of focus, organization, follow up, and attention to detail
- Proactive and self-motivated to execute on responsibilities
- Positive, can-do attitude with ability to hit the ground running
- Must thrive under pressure and be able to accept constructive feedback
- Willing to work flexible hours as needed to support department priorities and events
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office (Word, Outlook, and PowerPoint) is essential; experience using Adobe Creative Cloud, Microsoft CRM, or comparable programs is a plus
- Technical capabilities including intermediate to advanced Excel use (required); skills such as GIS / Mapping, Power BI / Tableau / Data Visualization preferred
United we fight. United we win.
Your passion fuels solutions that improve lives and lift up communities. More than anyone else, you know what’s possible; you’ve seen it in the faces of the people whose lives you have forever changed. Sometimes you feel like one person standing alone against big challenges, but there are those who share your vision for the future, and are ready to fight alongside you.
When you work with United Way, you join a team dedicated to creating a better life and a stronger community—for everyone. This is your chance to contribute your personal passions, best ideas and unique strengths to innovative work that leaves a lasting mark on people’s lives in your own community.
Are you ready to join the fight?